EBB's...pain in the...?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

EBB's...pain in the...?

Posted this one in the "general" section but thought you guys would be the experts. I keep hearing about EBB's being a pain in the arse. Constant maintenence to keep the squeeks, creaks at bay, breakage issues, etc. Anyone care to chime in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm sure they all vary, but my Niner s.i.r 9 is going on 6 months of abuse with absolutely no squeaking... creaking... or slipping, and it's a breeze to set-up. Even if it started to creak soon and required a take-apart and regrease I'd consider that good mileage.

mtbr member
    I think it all depends on what style ebb you have. I test rode a Fisher Rig w/ebb that creaked from the first pedal stroke. I had a Spicer frame built with a pinch bolt style ebb that is creak free and does not slip.
    Jesus Is Coming, Everyone Look Busy

No Justice = No Peace

Bushnell

I have a bushnell on mine. It's a little finicky, but not a big deal. I guess I take it out, wipe the shell clean with degreaser, lube the unit and replace it every two months or so. If It creaks a little right after I do it, I adjust the set screw. It it starts to creak a few rides later, I tighten it up a little, that's all. It's not a regular problem, or a big deal at all. Just a little something you gotta take care of once in a while.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    There was a brief "gettin' to know ya" period for both the set screw unit on my Vulture and the wedge type that came on my Rig, but I'd say that they're both trouble-free and quiet in general.

Any creakage I encounter is the result of the lube being washed out of the shell by riding in the wet and easily remedied. Resist the urge to over-tighten. An EBB that slips is too loose, but a noisy one is likely just too dry, and may in fact be too tight.

No Justice = No Peace

One more thing....

I find anti seize works best to lube the EBB. Not quite as slippery as Preparation M, or Bel-Ray waterproof grease, and it's made to stay on under pressure.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Reviewer/Tester
    I've had zero problems with EBB's on both of my current NinerBikes.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a bushnell on an aluminum frame and it squeaked a bit at first but I think that was due to my not tightening it down far enough. It hasn't made any noise since I reefed on it a bit. I was nervous about stripping the threads though. Still, I am overall happy with it's preformance. I like it much more than the tracks that I had before.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Good info. I'm not scared anymore

mtbr member
    May 2004

what about cannondale EBB's?

My dealer has an 03" 1FG, that if I can get it for the right price I might go for it. 03' was the first year for the cannondale singlespeed, I thought I heard people saying how they changed the EBB design because of problems. Any thoughts.

The man who fell to earth
    I've had some serious probs with my Rig's EBB. It slid in its shell from side to side on a couple of occasions. One time the chainring even slid into the chainstay and sawed into it, severely weakening the stay. Just a matter of time before it snaps. It creaks alot too. Overall not impressed. When this frame gives it up, I'll be going back to good 'ole track ends.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eman2
    My dealer has an 03" 1FG, that if I can get it for the right price I might go for it. 03' was the first year for the cannondale singlespeed, I thought I heard people saying how they changed the EBB design because of problems. Any thoughts.
    Did you look through the 1FGs in the bike reviews section? Looks like some complaints about the EBB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I own a newer Bushnell.............

....................and I would NOT choose it again.
    Initially the unit would 'slip' after slow/steep climbs.
    The unit does stay fairly static now.
    The work to get it like that was a PITA.
    The amount of torque to keep the bolt tight is OBSCENE IMO.
    Cool design, but really susceptible to contamination form fine dirt and water.
    Also, the size of the shell can cause some potential issues if you want to run large chainrings and accomodate wide tires in the stays.
    The creaking I get, is usually from the BB bearings (as best as I can tell).
    I wish I could be as happy as some others, but I am not.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates
    Posted this one in the "general" section but thought you guys would be the experts. I keep hearing about EBB's being a pain in the arse. Constant maintenence to keep the squeeks, creaks at bay, breakage issues, etc. Anyone care to chime in?

Keep on Rockin...

Have a Bushnell...

Overall it's a good setup but still rarely does creak. It's a nifty little idea but don't see how it's that much better than a standard setup, even with disks. I went to SS to keep it simple and EBBs clearly add complexity. While an EBB likely won't fail or creak why take a chance? Really, what's the problem with track ends? I've had zero problems with track ends. Even if you do run discs the design Surly and Spot have is simple, very effective, and bomb proof. Maybe if you are doing a race and are worried about a few extra seconds with changing a rear flat, well then OK; or perhaps you are getting a good deal on a frame already set up that way, fine; but otherwise I don't get it.

err, 27.5+
    A friend of mine has a Juan Solo with bushnell style ebb. That thing is terrible to work on. Takes about 5 minutes to do even minor adjustments and even then requires a hammer to get it done right. Not cool.

My pinch bolt style ebb is easy. if it is a bit tight I just stick a flat blade screwdriver in and pry it open a touch. So friggin simple. It just works. No slippin or creaking

Keep on Rockin...

Juan Solo...

I have a Juan and it's EBB is very easy to work on. It rarely creaks and is pretty nice overall. It just seems to me any EBB adds significant comlexity to the SS setup with the potential for problems. There's a very tiny easy trick to get that EBB to go where you want it; the wedge bolt needs to be backed out all the way. This forces the 2 inside shells to colapse and loosen. If you don't back out all the way it's kind of like pulling an old splined shimano crank with the self extracting bolts.

I've got a hang up on the simplicity thing; so much so it's taken me a long time to consider discs on my SS. Because of this I still prefer track ends. However, the EBB on my Juan has been bombproof. Another trick. Some EBBs have little holes in them. Mine does. Just large enough to squeeze a grease injector nipple in. A few squirts of cheap grease every few months keeps the EBB silent and smooth.

As a side note the Juan is a great bike but not a steel ride. It's a bit too harsh for my taste. Especially after getting a high end steel bike and having a side by side comparison.

Mike

meep meep
    Has anyone had any experience with the Phil Wood EBB? I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on it as next season I may purchase a frame that has one.

Members who have read this thread: 0