EBB--Stripped bolt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

EBB--Stripped bolt

I did something stupid: I overtightened the bolts that hold the EBB in place on my Haro Mary, and now one of them is stripped. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Casual Observer; 04-27-2008 at 12:48 PM.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Out spokin'
    Time-sert

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    You could also replace the EBB insert with a bushnell or carver model, assuming you can get one in the right diameter (they expand within the shell, so do not require a set screw).

A local builder could probably also weld a new one on for you. Might not be too pricey, depending on what you do with the paint after.

Wandering Aimlessly
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I did something stupid: I overtightened the bolts that hold the EBB in place on my Haro Mary, and now one of them is stripped. Any suggestions?
    Just curious...where you using a torque spec, or just hand tightening? I have a Haro Mary too, and I'd like to know the correct torque spec.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Get a new set screw, tap the threads in the EBB and try it again. Worse case, drill it and tap it for the next size up. Instaad of cranking it down so tight, next time use a little locktite and make the set screw snug.

Is the frame outside warranty? There's that option also.

I'm suprised this doesn't happen more often, it's kinda' sketch to have those threads holding something withj such a high torque load, sorta makes me wonder why there isn't a better system.

How an something that from within the EBB, but accessible/adjustable from the crank side? Of why not have the holes in the BB for the set screws, but the adjustment is totally with the EBB itself, so the holes simply serve as access.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben
    Get a new set screw, tap the threads in the EBB and try it again. Worse case, drill it and tap it for the next size up. Instaad of cranking it down so tight, next time use a little locktite and make the set screw snug.

Is the frame outside warranty? There's that option also.

I'm suprised this doesn't happen more often, it's kinda' sketch to have those threads holding something withj such a high torque load, sorta makes me wonder why there isn't a better system.

How an something that from within the EBB, but accessible/adjustable from the crank side? Of why not have the holes in the BB for the set screws, but the adjustment is totally with the EBB itself, so the holes simply serve as access.
    Actually, I think that is where I screwed up. I used loctite on this one particular screw, as this was the one that kept coming loose. The other screw was fine, but when I tried to loosen this one, I ended up stripping the head.

Anyway, I finally got it out. I tried using an easy out, but did no drill deep enough. However, after drilling, the wrench/bolt interface was much tighter. After some elbow grease, I was able to get that sucker out.

Out spokin'

You confused me.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Actually, I think that is where I screwed up. I used loctite on this one particular screw, as this was the one that kept coming loose. The other screw was fine, but when I tried to loosen this one, I ended up stripping the head.

Anyway, I finally got it out. I tried using an easy out, but did no drill deep enough. However, after drilling, the wrench/bolt interface was much tighter. After some elbow grease, I was able to get that sucker out.
    I assumed you stripped the threads in the BB shell. That's why I suggested a Time-Sert. Never mind.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

Loctite Color ??

What color of Loctite did you use? ( Red / Blue )
    I hate using loctite on my bikes. But if you got to you got to. But just stay away from the red stuff. As I screwed up a stem using red loctite . One trick is to use some RTV insteed of loctite, but that just my choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by REDGT
    What color of Loctite did you use? ( Red / Blue )
    I hate using loctite on my bikes. But if you got to you got to. But just stay away from the red stuff. As I screwed up a stem using red loctite . One trick is to use some RTV insteed of loctite, but that just my choice.
    Yea, it was the red stuff, which is what was recommended when I built up a wheel set (and was the only stuff I had handy). I'll check out the RTV.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Red is not needed (considered permanent). The easy solution to release the loctite is heat. Hit it with a lighter for 30 seconds or so and the loctite should melt and release the bolt.

So did you strip the threads, or the inside of the allen bolt?

HIYAH
    Blue or green is the way to go...not red...
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Members who have read this thread: 0