EBB........Problematic?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

EBB........Problematic?

I'm currently riding a steel frame SS and looking to upgrade with a carbon or Ti singlespeed. I will have more options if I also consider buying a SS frame with EBB. I noticed some riders at the Niner section had nothing but bad experiences with EBB creaking under hard load, slipping or breaking bolts. Some even sold the frames. I'm hoping these are rare experiences. If you or know of anybody with EBB stories please share. I'd like to hear good or bad opinions about EBB. Thx.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My raleigh xxix has a pinch bolt ebb with no problems

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had an EBB in my old steel Jericho frame. I was prepared for the worst, but I never heard a peep from it. All I did was pull it out and clean/grease it at the original build. Set and forget. Your mileage may vary...
    Last edited by gabe0807; 10-07-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Translated original post from spanish to english

mtbr member
    Niner's EBB pretty much stinks, I had one got rid of it. Nothing but problems. I now have a Singular Swift which is a set screw EBB, its perfect.

mtbr member
    I've heard the wedge type of EBB's are the best and most secure, however almost any EBB will creak if you don't clean and regrease it each season depending on how much you ride. A friend of mine had a creaky EBB and after I took it apart, cleaned it, and packed some grease in there it has shut up since.

mtbr member
    I have a Peace 9r that uses set screws and it works great. Had a Salsa Selma that has a wedge type EBB and it had a tendency to creak. The pinch type EBB that Specialize uses looks like a solid design.

Very disappointed to see Niner stick with their problematic EBB on their new frames. That's the only thing keeping me from buying a Niner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    No creaks in my rocky mountain hammer ebb (for sale)!
    Following torque specs is crucial with ebb. If you get the bb shell out of round it will prob creak!

I just bought a tomac flint with a bushnell ebb so we will see how that one does! bushnell ebb are the best so I am expecting no issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've had a Bushnell-equipped SS for a month now after having track ends before. The Bushnell is great, silent and easy to adjust, way easier to get the wheel out or aligned. Bolts need tightening harder than I felt was ok at first but I've been assured they can be cranked up pretty hard. Not a single sound during the usual bed-in adjusting period and I torque up some short, sharp climbs on a 32-18 most mornings (pretty much every day since I got this bike..). Silent from the build till now, if it stays this way I'm a convert.

If the frame's made to good tolerances then the Bushnell looks like the best design, mechanically. A pinch slpit-shell would be my second choice.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    A friend of mine has a Niner A9C. That thing is a creaking nightmare. He is always messing with it's ebb. When he first got it the bb shell was undersized so he had use a lever to adjust it. On Niner's recommendation he sanded the interior of the shell to bring it to spec (it creaked both undersized and at spec).
    My Singular is 2 years old, has a Phil Wood pinch bolt EBB that hasn't been pulled in over a year, and is as quit as a church mouse.

big legs, small brains
    I have a Niner One9 and have never had a problem with my EBB. I have set up 5 different bikes at the shop I race for and help at part time, and all are silent. I don't want to point fingers, but the only frame we couldn't fix, Niner warrantied, without any complaints. That BB shell was 1.5mm out of round. I personally use the Oatleys pipe compound method, and change my gearing at least 1 a week depending on racing/training schedule.

Don't let the haters get you down. Proper set up and maintence is required for any EBB system. I am considering the BEER Components EBB for a Giant XTC carbon......
    Kyle

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was hesitant the EBB on an older el mariachi. However, the bottom bracket has been absolutely flawless and super easy to adjust. I like it much better than my karate monkey/horizontal dropouts which it seemed at the most in opportune time, under heavy braking/climbing would cause the wheel to shift with a quick release wheel set.

mtbr member
    I have a Peace 9r with set screws but have just ordered a Carver for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have the split shell design on my Specialized Stumpjumper. It is very prone to creaking if I don't disassemble, clean and regrease the EBB every time I change cogs. The split shell allows a ton of grit to get in between the shell and EBB. Not a big fan of their design.

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by kylemason View Post
    I have a Niner One9 and have never had a problem with my EBB. I have set up 5 different bikes at the shop I race for and help at part time, and all are silent... I personally use the Oatleys pipe compound method, and change my gearing at least 1 a week depending on racing/training schedule.
    This has been my experience on my Air9 Carbon as well. The Oatleys works great.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I run a Carver EBB and I'm pretty happy with it. I do have to pull it out and clean it now and again, but that is mostly because I change gearing a lot and during the retensioning I am an idiot and forget to brush off the loose dirt.

Other than that, it is quiet and doesn't slip.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    This has been my experience on my Air9 Carbon as well. The Oatleys works great.
    Same foe the One 9. Oatleys has fixed the issue for me.

mtbr member

Are EBB' s hard to adjust?

I'm new to the forum so excuse me if this is redundant (I tried to search this topic but did not find anything helpful).

I have a new 2010 Gary Fisher Rig; the chain has loosened up a bit after the first few rides. I would like to learn how to adjust the EBB myself, any suggestions?

Thanks,
    John
    John Salvaggio

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crvt427 View Post
    I'm currently riding a steel frame SS and looking to upgrade with a carbon or Ti singlespeed. I will have more options if I also consider buying a SS frame with EBB. I noticed some riders at the Niner section had nothing but bad experiences with EBB creaking under hard load, slipping or breaking bolts. Some even sold the frames. I'm hoping these are rare experiences. If you or know of anybody with EBB stories please share. I'd like to hear good or bad opinions about EBB. Thx.
    Hopefully no one is still making Ti + EBB. That didn't work out so well.

I have had two Bushnell's and a phil. No problems with either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    Hopefully no one is still making Ti + EBB. That didn't work out so well.
    I was just about to post an update on my Ti frame + Bushnell EBB - it's still silent, the bike's been filthy muddy then washed, put away wet + dirty plenty of times, still no sound from the ti / Bushnell combo. No loosening, no faff, nothing. I've done many 7-9hr weekend rides as well as 2 hrs every other morning, all SS, so it's had a fair bit of use since I got in early Sept. I've changed the gearing once and didn't remove / clean it when I adjusted it. I've not had an EBB frame before but I'd have another if it was made as well as this one.

trail hunter
    Apr 2008
    I have found the split shell design to be the most trouble free. Just make sure when you set it up to clean and grease it well and then lay a line of grease over the split. No reason any grit should get in.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BP302 View Post
    I have the split shell design on my Specialized Stumpjumper. It is very prone to creaking if I don't disassemble, clean and regrease the EBB every time I change cogs. The split shell allows a ton of grit to get in between the shell and EBB. Not a big fan of their design.
    Weird, I've ridden mine 3-4 x / week for the last year and have had no issues and only cleaned it twice.
    Maybe tighten up the bolts a little more ? I also put a strip of tape over the gap

I would love to have the same system on my next SS.