EBB options for PF30- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

EBB options for PF30

Thinking pretty strongly about picking up an aluminum PF30 frame to run as a single speed, leaning towards using an EBB.

Don't like EBBs? That's nice. I know some folks have had problems with them slipping or creaking, prefer sliders, tensioners, etc. I think I'm going into this with eyes wide open as far as all that goes.

There's a bunch of different options on the market right now:
    • Niner BioCentric 30 - appears to be 24mm spindle cranks only, 22/24 with a shim I assume - $140
    • Wheels MFG - Enduro bearings, specific models for 24mm and 22/24 cranks - $125
    • Problem Solvers E46 - 24mm spindle cranks only, 22/24 with a shim kit - $145
    • Beer Components - Phil Wood bearings, 30mm spindle cranks, 24 and 22/24 w/ shims - $160 previously

Only other discernable difference I can see is adjustment method - Niner is turned using a 6mm hex that seems like it might be hard to get to w/ cranks installed, Wheels MFG and Beer use a spanner type wrench, no idea on the Problem Solvers part.

Beer seems to be the oldest one, Phil Wood bearings are a known quantity, and being able to run a 30mm spindle crank sounds nice, but I'm only planning on 24mm cranks for now.

Anybody here tried more than one of these? Opinions?

mtbr member
    The Wheels EBB is supposed to be really nice. Problems Solvers is a house brand that gets good reviews... have you looked into the White Industries Eccentric Eno hub?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    The Wheels EBB is supposed to be really nice. Problems Solvers is a house brand that gets good reviews... have you looked into the White Industries Eccentric Eno hub?
    If I wanted to build a SS specific rear wheel, I'd consider going that route. I'm planning to just run spacers on a standard freehub so that I can swap wheels between the different bikes if I desire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Check out the origin8 one at $55. It comes in bb30 gxp and shimano as well as pf30 gxp and shimano. I had a problem solvers but the bearings were shot within 600 miles. I think over $100 is too much for what these things are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by serious1 View Post
    Check out the origin8 one at $55. It comes in bb30 gxp and shimano as well as pf30 gxp and shimano. I had a problem solvers but the bearings were shot within 600 miles. I think over $100 is too much for what these things are.
    interesting - I notice the origin8 one has some visible knurling on the inside faces of the BB housing, haven't seen that on others.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I like the niner one, it has a physical bridge that connects both sides. All the other ones just rely on the bolts and that can let the sides not be aligned. Also I figure niner has the most experience with ebbs since they've been making that style of ebb for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

Dirty South Underdog
    Bump...

I'm using the Problem Solvers EBB, and it's terrible. The tolerance is incredibly loose, so basically it creaks as soon as you run through one puddle. Or mud. Or wash it. Or get it dirty. Also, you have to eff around with the spacers & whatnot to figure out the right combination that neither drags nor gives you play in the crank. I hate it with a passion, so I'm looking to go to a different one. I don't mind paying some $$ for something that's not going to suck. What're you all using?
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I ended up going with the Beer one for no real reason other than I like supporting the little guys. (Running a 30mm crank sounds sweet, but if I buy something fancy like a Cinch Next SL it'll be going on the FS race bike and not this one...)

Only have one ride on it, so no long term impressions.

For better or worse, the Phil Wood bearings are now a $40 upcharge, I just went with the standard Enduro bearings.

Tolerance between the bb shell on my Air 9 and the bearing cups is "snug" - it took a very slight amount of force to get them in, but if the bolts are loose they'll move without too much trouble.

There is some knurling to the inside face of the bearing cups, presumably to help keep them from slipping.

Trying to get a torque wrench on the bolts was awkward, a long hex bit would do the trick better.

with the 24mm deore crank, things were VERY snug between the plastic 30->24mm spacer, dust cover, and bearing. It took more work to get everything fully seated than anything else. Once I got that sorted, no problems so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I installed a Beer components EBB for pressfit 30 a couple of months ago on a customers bike( much like the one you used) The tolerances were way tight...so much so, it was a bit tough to spin. It has been tight and quiet too !!!! Maybe that's a better option