EBB Help?- Mtbr.com

Thread: EBB Help?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

EBB Help?

Picked myself up a Gary Fisher Rig SS 29'er not to long ago and having a little trouble with the ecentric bottom bracket. I can loosen the bolt that holds it together, but the bracket does not get any looser. Had a little luck with hoping on the bike and pedaling up and down my hilly driveway a few times to get it loose, but that seems a little ridulous to have to do each time I need to tighten a chain for wear or switch out a rear cog.

Any advice on how to loosen up the wedge short of riding the bike with a loose bolt or whacking it with a rubber mallet?

"Go that way really fast. When something get's in your way, turn."

- Booger

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    All I do is lossen the bolt and use a hammer and blunt punch that fits in the allen head to knock it loose. Make sure you have enough threads still in contact so you don't damage them. I loosen it, then run it down to where it just start to get tight, then back it off a few turns, tap it and see if it needs to be backed off more. Better to do it in a few steps than damage threads.

There may be a better way!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    my 09 has a flange-less chain ring bolt style insert that makes the tightening bolt work like a self extracting crank arm bolt (the top of the allen bolt hits the back of the insert and pushes against it)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've tried that, but felt like I was hitting it too hard to be safe and it was still not working. It might just take a bit more patience.

Glad to know at least someone else had the same idea!

- MR

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have hit mine and felt like I was hitting it to hard and not getting anywhere, that is when I back the bolt off a little more. I try to keep as much thread in contact as possible for the initial hits.

jason8265
    make sure you loosen it up to the point it contacts the chain ring bolt style insert. Then back out further to force the wedge outward. I am guessing that you loosened it to the point it feels loose but not enough to hit the stop and force out the wedge.

Members who have read this thread: 0