EBB durability & longevity?- Mtbr.com
    ACS
    mtbr member

EBB durability & longevity?

How are all of your SS frames with eccentric bb's are holding up? I'm curious about the longterm performance and up-keep.
    I'm ordering a frame with discs in mind and need advice for dropouts. So it's track ends vs. ebb/vertical drops vs. kona style sliding drops. Which is best?
    I'm comnig from a 1x1, and I love the simplicity of the drivetrain. It has horizontals, with no disc tabs...very easy to maintain.
    EBB seems like the way to go if it works.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    They hold up fine. Especially the pinch bolt/set screw type (I am not fond of internal expanding EBBs). Work well on SSs. Have worked well for decades on tandems.

Sliding dropouts work well, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

JJT
    mtbr member
    Are the pinch bolt EBB's less prone to creaking as the Bushnell's? I've been riding a bushnell for about two years now (in a Ti frame) and my only complain is that it starts creaking after a while. Cleaning and applying a fresh copper grease layer solves the problem for a while, but eventually it will start again. Maybe this is just a Ti problem.

As you have to tighten the EBB bolt quite hard another concern was breaking or stripping the expander bolt, but untill now it has held up pretty good.

JJ
    Singlespeed Central - European SS and 29" webshop

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JJT
    Are the pinch bolt EBB's less prone to creaking as the Bushnell's? I've been riding a bushnell for about two years now (in a Ti frame) and my only complain is that it starts creaking after a while. Cleaning and applying a fresh copper grease layer solves the problem for a while, but eventually it will start again. Maybe this is just a Ti problem.

As you have to tighten the EBB bolt quite hard another concern was breaking or stripping the expander bolt, but untill now it has held up pretty good.

JJ
    I have rarely had a pinch bolt or set screw EBB creak. I tested tandems for ~4 years and rode about more than 30 different EBB bikes in that time. Have owned a tandem for more than ten years and have greased the EBB twice and it has never made a sound.

Rarely needed to tighten the bolts very hard either. The few test bikes that creaked at all did require the pinch bolts to be cinched down much harder.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    2002 Inbred still fine after a lot of use. Only issue is make sure you take your time getting the bolt out and clean any crap out of the head before you try and undo it.

Personally from aesthetics and ease of use I'd go with track ends and slotted disc mounts ala Surly and Spot. Nothing to go wrong and look a hell of a lot better than sliding dropouts. Weigh a lot less than an EBB and if you ever go fixed EBBs are a pain.

Category Winner

Why?

[QUOTE= if you ever go fixed EBBs are a pain.[/QUOTE]

My friend converted his road bike (messenger rig) to a split shell EBB to run it fixed. He hasn't run into any problems. What kind of problems can occur?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Chain stretch offroad is a pain as you need a pin spanner and lots of faffing and sometimes a nice mallett to shift the EBB.
    I did a few 15 mile rides and by the end of it the chain was popping off due to becoming too slack.
    Not had such an issue with chain stretch on my road fixy

Nat
    mtbr member
    My Rig EBB is holding up fine after 8 months or so. Trailside adjustment has never been a problem and only requires one 5mm hex wrench. So far I'm liking the sliding dropout setup on my On-One better though.

Category Winner

I have tried mine fixed off road...

Quote Originally Posted by TomL
    Chain stretch offroad is a pain as you need a pin spanner and lots of faffing and sometimes a nice mallett to shift the EBB.
    I did a few 15 mile rides and by the end of it the chain was popping off due to becoming too slack.
    Not had such an issue with chain stretch on my road fixy
    and I don't have any chain stretch issues. My EBB just requires a four mm allen and using the crank against it to turn the EBB. Never needed a mallet. Hmmm.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    and I don't have any chain stretch issues. My EBB just requires a four mm allen and using the crank against it to turn the EBB. Never needed a mallet. Hmmm.
    never needed to do it while running as a singlespeed. Fixed offroad down big hills gives your chain a hell of a lot of stick. I was having to readjust after almost every ride or 20 miles or so. As a singlespeed it was every few months adjustment was needed.

And the other issue was EBB frames tend to be disc only which means your running fixed without a rear brake offroad. Which is fine until you start riding muddy downhills then a rear brake is a godsend.

But obviously were going a bit off the original question.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I've had my Vulture 2 years and the EBB has never slipped or creaked.
    It is pinch bolt.

My wife has raced/ridden her Niner at least 400 miles this year and her set-screw EBB has yet to creak or slip.

A buddy of mine has (had) a Voodoo with the sliding dropouts and has currently sold it because the dropouts were a source of constant slipping and frustration. He went EBB on his new frame. From the mouths of the shop guys at the LBS, most problems with slipping are from sliding dropout frames or horizontal dropout frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    A buddy of mine has (had) a Voodoo with the sliding dropouts and has currently sold it because the dropouts were a source of constant slipping and frustration. He went EBB on his new frame. From the mouths of the shop guys at the LBS, most problems with slipping are from sliding dropout frames or horizontal dropout frames.
    Which is why I'd go with track ends as all you need is a single chain tug and any slippage is a thing of the past.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ACS
    How are all of your SS frames with eccentric bb's are holding up? I'm curious about the longterm performance and up-keep.
    I'm ordering a frame with discs in mind and need advice for dropouts. So it's track ends vs. ebb/vertical drops vs. kona style sliding drops. Which is best?
    I'm comnig from a 1x1, and I love the simplicity of the drivetrain. It has horizontals, with no disc tabs...very easy to maintain.
    EBB seems like the way to go if it works.
    Oh and on the upkeep side you need to do this every 6months or so. Depends how much you ride. This is a bushnell type BTW.
    http://www.hunkymalecyclist.com/repairs/ebb/ebb.htm

Tom

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Which is why I'd go with track ends as all you need is a single chain tug and any slippage is a thing of the past.
    Track ends, to me, are a pain in the butt to use. Finicky disc brake set up, plus you have to align the rear wheel every time it's removed. No thanks.
    been there, done that, and don't want to own one again. it's sooo not worth the hassle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACS
    eBB seems like the way to go if it works.
    I currently have all 3 types of eBB's, Bushnell, pinch & set-screw. My preference is the Bushnell, simple one tool/one bolt adjustments, no mallets or pin spanners required. All eBB's will creak if the eBB shell is not to tolerance, and it's difficult to machine out the distortions after welding. If the eBB shell is made properly, they are silent. Like all things, when made right, it works right. I ride all winter, which is mud & snow uphere. I only regrease the eBB when the cranks come off for some other reason, which is every 1~2 years.

Keep in mind that the BB area is very prone to creaking, square taper, octalink, cups, chain-ring bolts all creak when not installed properly. An eBB adds another interface.

I've also had discs on horizontal mounts, a bit of a pain removing the wheel, but no biggie. Again, made right (horizontals or sliding dropouts) they work fine. Personally I don't like the look of the sliding dropouts, with bolts and scratched up paint.

Cheers,

Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have an old Breezer frame that i haven't ridden for a while. was my brothers but he doesn ride at all anymore so I'm free to do what I want ewith it

I was thinking of making a pretty SS out of it but Horizontal drop outs are all i've ever had with SS
    would a good EBB make this a ridable off road SS? witha chain tensioner? it's a breezer storm, the green kind. i have 2, 1 has a 1 inch headset the other 1 1/8. i'm not sure of what the bb sizes are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpudDamon
    I have an old Breezer frame that i haven't ridden for a while. was my brothers but he doesn ride at all anymore so I'm free to do what I want ewith it

I was thinking of making a pretty SS out of it but Horizontal drop outs are all i've ever had with SS
    would a good EBB make this a ridable off road SS? witha chain tensioner? it's a breezer storm, the green kind. i have 2, 1 has a 1 inch headset the other 1 1/8. i'm not sure of what the bb sizes are.
    You need a new BB shell as EBBs are quite large. You fit a standard bottom bracket in them.
    As you can't really put discs on that age of frame (you can if you get a mount on it or use a widget thingy, but the frame may not cope) your stuck with Vs. Either put a singulator on it or get a frame builder to put some trackends on it and get a respray.

Nat
    mtbr member
    You need a new BB shell as EBBs are quite large. You fit a standard bottom bracket in them.
    As you can't really put discs on that age of frame (you can if you get a mount on it or use a widget thingy, but the frame may not cope) your stuck with Vs. Either put a singulator on it or get a frame builder to put some trackends on it and get a respray.
    Or use an ENO hub.

mtbr member
    My Vulture conversion is going on 4 years or so and I've never had a problem with it. It uses a pinch-bolt type EBB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Or use an ENO hub.

hmmm, gotta look up ENO hubs, thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

thanks, i was afraid something with eccentric in the name probably couldnt be retrofit to an odl freame. It's a pretty frame i'll go witha singulator, it's as light as my aluminum geared mtb frame, i heard breezer quit making decent mtb frames and makes mostly hybrids now, if it's triue its a shame

Members who have read this thread: 0