EBB creak-Phil wood set screw type- Mtbr.com
    conjoinicorned

EBB creak-Phil wood set screw type

My Ebb is creaking, it's the Phil wood set screw type. I've tried it with liberal grease, and with alcohol cleaned dryness....still creaks. Only started recently, rode almost 2seasons with no issues. I thought creaking was for the expansion type crowd only

Suggestions?

Btw it's a square taper crankset with a pretty new shitmano un55, I have regreased the spindles and the bearings are dead silent on the bike stand, it's only under mashing load that I hear it. Chain is new, chain line is good, etc

Thx
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    I've got that same EBB on two of my bikes and in the time that I've had them, the older of the two about four years, I've never had any creaking problems (or problems of any kind).
    I just usually put a light smear of copper grease inside the BB shell any time that I have them stripped down, which is probably two or three times a year.

Are you absolutely sure that it's not the BB that's creaking? - I've had plenty of BB's that feel lovely and smooth out of the bike or on the workstand but yet creak like buggery as soon as they're put under any load.

conjoinicorned
    no i'm not absolutely sure

it is just a UN55, hardly a high end BB. based on how the system works with the set screws, it certainly makes more sense that it is the BB and not the EBB, i just was hoping for a simple solution that didn't entail getting another BB

mtbr member
    Did you ovalize the BB shell?

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    Did you ovalize the BB shell?
    interesting thought...i somehow doubt it (it's on my fixed monstercross) but one never knows
    thx i'll check that out tonite

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    interesting thought...i somehow doubt it (it's on my fixed monstercross) but one never knows
    thx i'll check that out tonite
    I have seen EBB shells that have completely egged out and still don't creak. Then again some do. If your running dry then I could see it squeaking. I've seen quite a few different solutions and some work for some while it does not for others.

With set screws I would recommend a torque wrench so the two are set to the same torque. Does not need to be a fancy torque wrench heck mine cost $12 out the door, but it is accurate for the application. If I recall the PW EBBs torque spec is 44in/pounds. If I am wrong someone please let me know.

If your going to try running dry try wrapping the shell in Teflon tape. If possible you can also speak with a local machine shop for some brass shim stock for between the frame and shell. However you slice it running dry needs something to isolate the frame from the shell preventing the dreaded creak.

If dry does not work the best mix I have found it taking anti seize with a little bit of phil waterproof grease then torque it down. Eventually it will start creaking again so you just wipe out the old and reapply.

After working on all different types of EBB shells this is just what I found to work well. Would love to hear from others how they resolve creaking.

ballbuster
    Any update to this?

I have a Singular Swift frame with a set screw EBB Phil Wood. For years, it was pretty dead silent. Once ever six month or so, it would start to make a bit of noise, so I would remove it, clean it, grease and install it again and it would be fine for another six months.

Now, it creaks and pops no matter how I treat it. I used heavy marine grease, dry, carbon paste, teflon tape... nothing seems to work any more. It is entirely possible I over torqued the set screws at some point. The thing has always been a minor PITA. My chain slacks out, seemingly by itself. I sometimes notice it's getting a bit jumpy, so I've tried to fix it in the field a few times, without the luxury of a torque wrench... and I fully admit I can be pretty ham-fisted.

I'd hate to have to replace the EBB insert, but it might come down to that.... or replace the frame. Ugh. I do love this Singular Swift, tho. It just sails while reading my mind.

I didn't think of copper anti-seize compound, but I happen to have a bigass jar of that stuff on my shelf.... like a lifetime supply for 5 people.

I'm wondering if it might be the spot where the set screws meet the PW EBB insert. If I messed up that surface, I wonder if that is the source of the creak? Is it reasonable to grind out the set screw marks for a clean surface?

Members who have read this thread: 0