EBB in any frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

EBB in any frame?

Can an EBB be put in any bicycle frame? Specifically a 1990's Specialized Rockhopper?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No,
    Frame must be specifically fitted with a bottom bracket sized for an EBB. EBB shell is quite a bit larger. Try an ENO hub or half link if you want to make it singlespeed.

Just turned 29er
    My first thought was "Yes, go see a framebuilder."

While an EBB won't fit in your Rockhopper's bottom bracket shell, if it's a steel frame a framebuilder can put in an EBB for around $150. That's about the same price as a custom built ENO hub wheel.

mtbr member
    Why wouldnt you just get the framebuilder to replace the dropouts? Surely that would be cheaper and easier?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the info guys...I guess it does make more sense to use an ENO hub.

Just turned 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_ss
    Why wouldnt you just get the framebuilder to replace the dropouts? Surely that would be cheaper and easier?
    Quite a few of the framebuilders I've seen charge the same for dropout replacement and EBB installation. Might as well just add an EBB and you can go back to gears if you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_ss
    Depending on the frame in question the EBB might be easier !

On some frames the dropouts are welding into slots cut into the stays , if these are T.I.G, welded you are going to have a ***** of a time getting them out , some brazed frames can be heated up and you can "pull" the dropouts out and jsut swap them for single speed versions .... but I have never seen this done "cleanly "

For me I would much rather jsut mill out the older euro B/B ( if it's a steel specialized your threads are probley gone anyway ...right ??? )

Then jsut weld-in the new EBB and your set to roll , the benifit here is that EBB shells are much bigger than a standard EURO B/B .

If you are still looking for a frame shop to do this feel free to contace me via PM
    I can get this done for you very easily !!

Thanks
    Brad
    Nemesis Project cycles
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

vulture or spicer

Vulture or Spicer are two builders who do EBB or dropout mods. Info and pricing are on their web sites. There are others too.

Members who have read this thread: 0