EBB adjustment tool?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

EBB adjustment tool?

My EBB is very tight in the shell. Is there a better tool than the Park SPA-1 for turning the EBB to adjust chain tension?

nathan bay
    Apr 2007
    I've had some problems like this. Channel locks or vice grips might work. But my guess is the bb needs to be cleaned and greases or replaced. I haven't had this problem with my ss with external bearings.... yet.

meh... whatever
    depending on what kind of ebb you have, most of the time there is a hole large enough for a 4mm allen to fit in. stick the short end into the hole and use it against the crank as leverage (i.e. fulcrum point) to adjust the ebb in the desired direction.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Category Winner
    Unless you have already done it, cleaning and re-greasing the contact surfaces is a great idea.

The 4mm allen wrench trick works, but be warned that it can booger up your crank and EBB a little bit. Try to pad the crank with a rag or something, unless you just don't care.

I was always wanting to come up with my own "tool" with round edged and a tighter fit in the EBB than the 4mm allen. I was also hoping to create a better/flatter surface to contact the crank. I never bothered as after I bought the spanner I had good results.

Is it a Bushnell? If so be aware that as you loosen it it will feel loose pretty quick, but that only one cam has disengaged. You need to turn the bolt till you feel it get tight and loose again. There are better instructions here:
    http://www.bushnelltandems.com/
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    The 4mm allen wrench trick works, but be warned that it can booger up your crank and EBB a little bit. Try to pad the crank with a rag or something, unless you just don't care.
    thanks for pointing that out. i failed to mention that i use a 4mm wrapped in electrical tape to avoid boogering of my cranks or bb cups.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My local bike shop cut the top off a shimano bottom bracket tool which allows me to turn the crank instead of the EBB for adjustment.

mtbr member

Bushnell yes

It is a bushnell ebb, I have 2 holes that are about 4.7mm in diameter. I have used a 4mm wrench and the crank arm before to tighten. This seems like a messed up way to do it, plus I risk damage to some expensive Middleburn cranks. The bike shop says use the park spanner but its pins are about 1/2 the size of the hole. There must be some other pin spanner wrench out there that could work better.

No Justice = No Peace

You might not have one, but....

I have a hinged adjustable spanner that was on my boat. It was designed for opening the deck ports for the fuel and water tanks, and the pins are pretty big, and stepped in shape. The larger end fits perfectly in my Bushnell EBB. You can get one at West Marine or somwhere similar. Mine is made by ABI and it's mostly silicon bronze, except for the pins which are Stainless.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Krankensteine
    It is a bushnell ebb, I have 2 holes that are about 4.7mm in diameter. I have used a 4mm wrench and the crank arm before to tighten. This seems like a messed up way to do it, plus I risk damage to some expensive Middleburn cranks. The bike shop says use the park spanner but its pins are about 1/2 the size of the hole. There must be some other pin spanner wrench out there that could work better.
    Doh, I just looked at my spanner and it's the SPA-2.
    It's red and works perfectly.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bottom Bracket Tool

I use a Park BB tool with a 3/4" drive socket on it. Loosen up the cams and with the BB tool inserted (just like you were tightening the BB) it will spin with no problems.

I totally agree with you on the spanner thing. What a pain.

Work Shed...
    I do the same things if my BB gets a little tacky.. I do, however, love to 'booger' anything and everyone I see at all times.

It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

Members who have read this thread: 1