ebb adjustment question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

ebb adjustment question

So i got my 2007 rig and put some miles on it today. The chain was rather tight so i attempted to adjust the bottom bracket. I think i did it right but it moved a little side to side. I tried to eyeball it to make sure the chain line straight and it looks good. My question is what do i need to check for to make sure ive done this correctly. It says that no part of the ebb should be out of the shell. what exactly is the ebb . how do i know if any of it is exposed. thanks

erik

openwound
    I'm assuming that when you say you, "...attempted to adjust the bottom bracket", that you turned the thing in which the bottom bracket is mounted. The ebb is that thing; it's an eccentric device (a little off-center, thus the term) that sits in the bb shell. Depending on the brand, you loosen it so that it can be turned, rotate it appropriately to change the chain slack (increase/decrease) and then cinch it on back down. As you might surmise, it is kinda important to not let it wander to one side or the other as you'd, at the very least, alter your chain line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    correct i loosened the set screw rotated but it did drift a little so i made sure the chain line was straight. I just want to make sure that i didnt screw anything up by letting it drift a little side to side.

openwound
    They can sometimes be a pain to get/keep centered when you're trying to tighten them back down, again that depends on the brand of ebb. A millimeter won't kill you...just don't let it hang out by some big ol' amount and you'll be good to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks dude i fixed it. it was sticking out pretty good. hopefully its tight enough guess ill find out eh.

Members who have read this thread: 0