EBB adjustment- Mtbr.com

Thread: EBB adjustment

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

EBB adjustment

I have a GF Ferrous (26") with an EBB. When setting the chain tension should I have the BB on the lower side or the upper side of the circle (i.e. Looking at the EBB from the side I can obtain the same chain tension with the BB in the 1 o clock or 5 o clock position). I have it currently set in the upper or 1 o clock position but the rear wheel seems to slip very easily when I stand and pedal, I am going to change it to the 5 o clock position to see if this helps but I will loose some of my BB height. I know the answer is to just try it and see what I like the best, but just wanted to see if there is any "scientific" reason for having it one position over the other. This way when I prefer the opposite positon to what the science supports I will constantly think while riding that I should switch it!!

Another possibility is that this will just be a problem with the fisher genesis geometry no matter where the BB is set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasiorv
    I have a GF Ferrous (26") with an EBB. When setting the chain tension should I have the BB on the lower side or the upper side of the circle (i.e. Looking at the EBB from the side I can obtain the same chain tension with the BB in the 1 o clock or 5 o clock position). I have it currently set in the upper or 1 o clock position but the rear wheel seems to slip very easily when I stand and pedal, I am going to change it to the 5 o clock position to see if this helps but I will loose some of my BB height. I know the answer is to just try it and see what I like the best, but just wanted to see if there is any "scientific" reason for having it one position over the other. This way when I prefer the opposite positon to what the science supports I will constantly think while riding that I should switch it!!

Another possibility is that this will just be a problem with the fisher genesis geometry no matter where the BB is set.
    EBB position is really just personal preference and also dependant on the trails you ride. If your trails are smooth and not very technical, you will probably be better off with a lower BB. It will keep your center of gravity lower and railing turns will be easier. If you ride very technical terrain with lots of rocks and roots, higher might be better to avoid pedal strikes. I would just try both positions and see which one you like better. Don't just try it for one ride though, give it some time. Also, don't forget to adust your seat for the change in hieght.

I don't think your rear wheel slipping has anything to do with EBB position, sounds like a technique issue.

Mark

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Kind of the answer I expected, just see what works for me. As far as technique, that may be true. I had my Giant set up as a single speed and had no issue with standing and pedaling up hills and such, now with the GF as soon as I leave the seat it is like I lose all traction to the rear wheel. Same tires and trails, so I think it may be the GF geometry and I will have to adjust my technique to match that geometry or go back to my giant.

The Steeziest!
    Feb 2010
    I agree that it sounds more like technique than the EBB but I like to set my EBB in the 5 oclock position so if the EBB slips it's going to make my chain tighter and not leave me with a loose chain. It doesn't seem like this is your issue but it's the reason why I run my EBB this way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I guess it depends on which side you are looking at. Looking at the drive side (which is how I was looking) the 1 o clock position would actually tighten the chain if the EBB loosened and the 5 o clock postion would loosen the chain. It would be the opposite if you looked at the non-drive side. But I see your point and I think it is a good one, you want to set up your EBB so that if it would loosen that it would spin in a direction to tighten the chain.

Members who have read this thread: 0