Which EBB?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which EBB?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Which EBB?

Hi everyone.

Im currently rocking 1x8. Looking to get a 2009 Santa Cruz Chameleon SS built up. I've heard some bad thing and good things about EBB. Which set up have you had luck with, don't want to be constantly tweaking it for proper tension, and creaking noise will bother the hell out of me. Phil Woods EBB seems to be choice, will that work with the Chameleon? Or is there a better match for that frame?

Thanks for your input!

Niner rider
    Feb 2011
    I currently run the niner ebb. Works for me, little to no noise with proper service. May be the same with all ebb's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I second that on the niner ebb, nice piece of work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My only experience is with the Niner Ebb and it is so, so. Continually slips, loose chain tension etc. Added carbo grap, etc and finally no movement but now no adjustment on the trail - if you have a chain break or whatever can't move ebb. Local bike shop recommends going with a Scott ebb but I have no knowledge of that system. Look up a review of niners ebb you will see that it is very mixed and that riders have had to do slot of work around to get things better.
    Defiant MTB - nothing complicated just ride....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Phil Wood EBB on IF Ti Deluxe. Set screws at 26 in/lb and only time I touch it is when I switch chainrings. 4k+ miles in 2 years and zero problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the info/recommendations guys/gals!

Ill check out the niner and Phil woods.

mtbr member
    You won't be able to use the Phil Wood EBB insert in the Chameleon as it (the frame) doesn't have either threaded bosses for set screws nor a split shell with pinch bolts.
    You'll have to use an insert with some kind of expanding wedge locking - or maybe the Niner, which I think clamps on the end faces of the BB shell?

Why not just use the Santa Cruz version? - here's the tech sheet for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0