Thread: Ebay Woes

mtbr member

Ebay Woes

Man, it was within my grasp: an 86' Bridgestone 600 with "fixie commuter" written all over it and some bassturd put in a higher bid with 19 seconds left in the auction. I teid to out-bid him but it was too late. My girlfriend said, "it wasn't meant for you," like the frame had some karmic significance. I think I was beat to the punch and ebay chewed me up and spit me out. Up until now, I've always been a seller. Not long ago I tried to win a 79' Trek and the same thing happened. What's an honest guy to do?

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by AteMrYeats
    Man, it was within my grasp: an 86' Bridgestone 600 with "fixie commuter" written all over it and some bassturd put in a higher bid with 19 seconds left in the auction. I teid to out-bid him but it was too late. My girlfriend said, "it wasn't meant for you," like the frame had some karmic significance. I think I was beat to the punch and ebay chewed me up and spit me out. Up until now, I've always been a seller. Not long ago I tried to win a 79' Trek and the same thing happened. What's an honest guy to do?

Funny how you only realized you would've spent more after someone else bid? It wasn't ment for you if you if you only realized after someone else bid higher than you that you wanted it more..

However there are online programs that will bid for you right before the auction(1-5 seconds) if you're not capable of doing it

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

ebay

there are sniping services that will automatically submit bids in the last few seconds but I think they charge a fee for the service.

what you should do is:
    a) make sure you're logged-in a few minutes prior to auction end
    b) sync your clock to some service so it matches ebay's (being on high-speed helps too)
    c) do not put in a bid until...
    d) within 1 minute of ending; enter your max bid amount and hold on the confirm page
    d) within the last 5-10 seconds hit the confirm/submit button
    e) if you were high enough you got it, otherwise obviously ebay will tell you your bid wasn't high enough and someone else got it. just submitting one bid keeps things in your control to avoid a (emotional) bidding war.

...but, my key recommendation is to look for "Buy-It-Now"s. Occasionally you'll find people who undervalue what their selling. When that happens, jump on it fast (but make sure you read everything about the item so you don't screw yourself), then view their other items because likely they will have undervalued other things too.

Last year someone picked up a full 04 XTR Sycip with Fox fork for $1k BIN. My best were two nice pairs of Sycros Revolution cranks at $50 each BIN.

Good luck.

blame me for missed rides
    place your bid, to the maximum allowable amount you want to spend, in the last 20 seconds. i'd do it in the last 10 or 5 seconds if connection is fast.

Complete Bastard
    Find an old peugeot 103 frame and turn it into a fixie commuter. It's got room for fat fat tires and takes the conversion well. I just finished mine. I'm running nokian ravagozzi 35c's in there but I bet I could stuff a 2.0 in there in a pinch. You can find these bikes all over the place for nothing or next to nothing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Funny how you only realized you would've spent more after someone else bid? It wasn't ment for you if you if you only realized after someone else bid higher than you that you wanted it more..

However there are online programs that will bid for you right before the auction(1-5 seconds) if you're not capable of doing it
    Very true. I'm not saying I wouldn't have paid more, I guess I'm just ignorant. I have a lot left to learn about ebay it seems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by holden
    there are sniping services that will automatically submit bids in the last few seconds but I think they charge a fee for the service.

what you should do is:
    a) make sure you're logged-in a few minutes prior to auction end
    b) sync your clock to some service so it matches ebay's (being on high-speed helps too)
    c) do not put in a bid until...
    d) within 1 minute of ending; enter your max bid amount and hold on the confirm page
    d) within the last 5-10 seconds hit the confirm/submit button
    e) if you were high enough you got it, otherwise obviously ebay will tell you your bid wasn't high enough and someone else got it. just submitting one bid keeps things in your control to avoid a (emotional) bidding war.

...but, my key recommendation is to look for "Buy-It-Now"s. Occasionally you'll find people who undervalue what their selling. When that happens, jump on it fast (but make sure you read everything about the item so you don't screw yourself), then view their other items because likely they will have undervalued other things too.

Last year someone picked up a full 04 XTR Sycip with Fox fork for $1k BIN. My best were two nice pairs of Sycros Revolution cranks at $50 each BIN.

Good luck.
    Thanks for all of your advice. I've been looking for "buy it now" auctions, but the bidding deals lure me in. The "bidding wars" thing seems perfectly reasonable, however I am not sure how I'd fare in a battle of the clicking mouses or maximum bids. Thanks for the help anyway. Catch as catch can, I guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Post your maximum bid as soon as you decide to buy. The only reason sniping works is because someone decided to pay MORE than you in the last seconds of the auction. A sniping program will only work if your max bid is higher than the current high bidder's max bid.
    If you bid your max early, you cannot be sniped by someone that bids the same amount, because you bid that amount FIRST. If you're outbid, move on to the next auction.

Will

Penis Goat!
    I leave two windows open. One keeps being refreshed to see if anyone's bid, and the other I keep ready with a higher bid. It's worked a couple of times...I usually can get a new bid in within the last four seconds or so, if necessary.

Steamroller

Fun to watch as a seller

I've been on both side of this and have tried the bid sniper software recently. I tend to agree that if you want something and can be online when it ends, put in your high bid one time with about 10 seconds left. If you can't be on then just do it earlier, it's still your high bid and you won't pay more than you had intended.

I have a bike ending today that is up arround $300 with hours left and 42 people watching. I may go on and watch, just to see how many bids come in at the last minute and how much the price rises. The whole ebay thing is fascinating.

I also agree the best deals can come from "buy it now" but you have to "see it now" as the really hot deals go really fast. A couple years ago I got 2 bikes for $20, local pick up only, 10 minutes after they were listed. I picked them up the next morning, they were easily worth $200 or more.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

And He was Not

What's an honest guy to do?

Quote Originally Posted by AteMrYeats
    You might want to check your PM's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    I leave two windows open. One keeps being refreshed to see if anyone's bid, and the other I keep ready with a higher bid. It's worked a couple of times...I usually can get a new bid in within the last four seconds or so, if necessary.
    Samesame here. If your last-second bid is outbid, it wasn't meant to be.

Jim

Go Bears!
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by holden
    The (slight) advantage of sniping is that the bid price doesn't go up as fast, so at the end of the auction, the people who try to enter last-second bids manually may not catch it in time, so you may end up winning something for $50 instead of $70 if the guy trying to bid $70 whiffs. In the end it all comes down to the max bid amount that you enter, though. You have to be prepared to pay that or let it go. Sniping just gives you a chance of paying less.

I use jbidwatcher (http://www.jbidwatcher.com/), and sometimes the most useful feature (besides tracking all items you're interested in in real time) is the multiple item bidding. If there are 5 identical items listed, you can submit a maximum price for the set, and it'll try to snipe each auction until you win one. This way you can leave it running overnight and not end up with all 5 in the morning.