Ebay question...- Mtbr.com
    indigosky

Ebay question...

Ok, a little OT, but anyway. I just sold a Klein on Ebay to a guy in Canada (BC). We corrisponded several times, and he seems on the up and up (no I'll pay you $6,000 crap). He paid via paypal the full amount, no more, no less, but his address is "Unconfirmed". I looked up on www.whitepages.com, and sure enough, there he is, same name & address from paypal, everything looks kosher. Given that it was a lot of money (for me at least), what are my risks here?

I have a premier paypal account, and it said the transaction is "Completed". I'm still nervious, not because he seems sketchy, but because I can't afford to loose that $.

mtbr member

if

it is already in your paypal account then it is your money now. There is nothing that he can do to get the money back.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    Ok, a little OT, but anyway. I just sold a Klein on Ebay to a guy in Canada (BC). We corrisponded several times, and he seems on the up and up (no I'll pay you $6,000 crap). He paid via paypal the full amount, no more, no less, but his address is "Unconfirmed". I looked up on www.whitepages.com, and sure enough, there he is, same name & address from paypal, everything looks kosher. Given that it was a lot of money (for me at least), what are my risks here?

I have a premier paypal account, and it said the transaction is "Completed". I'm still nervious, not because he seems sketchy, but because I can't afford to loose that $.
    I think you know the risks already which is why you're nervous. What I'd do is have Paypal credit your bank account so the funds arrive quickly, then ship. Only do this after you have determined that this is acceptable to the buyer though since he/she is probably expecting you to ship right away since they paid right away. Once the funds are in the bank, you are set to go with almost no risk.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

indigosky

Yoga

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    I think you know the risks already which is why you're nervous. What I'd do is have Paypal credit your bank account so the funds arrive quickly, then ship. Only do this after you have determined that this is acceptable to the buyer though since he/she is probably expecting you to ship right away since they paid right away. Once the funds are in the bank, you are set to go with almost no risk.
    Yea, namasste, I transfered it to my bank asap. They have good feedback, and a known shipping address, so as soon as it clears my bank, I will ship. Thanks for the advice.

p.s. with a name like namasste you must yoga. What type?

USB Rep'n
    Yea, namasste, I transfered it to my bank asap. They have good feedback, and a known shipping address, so as soon as it clears my bank, I will ship. Thanks for the advice.

p.s. with a name like namasste you must yoga. What type?
    yeah, I do, cool of you picking up on that. I mostly do ashtanga as an alternative to riding during bad weather (much of the year here in Ohio unfortunately). It's great for the head and really does give a good workout while helping with injury prevention. I am going to be trying bikram this month and Im pretty stoked about it. From what I understand, it can be quite an experience. You do any yoga yourself??

namaste,
    Scott

eh-nay Ityopia!

indigosky

Ayengar

yeah, I do, cool of you picking up on that. I mostly do ashtanga as an alternative to riding during bad weather (much of the year here in Ohio unfortunately). It's great for the head and really does give a good workout while helping with injury prevention. I am going to be trying bikram this month and Im pretty stoked about it. From what I understand, it can be quite an experience. You do any yoga yourself??

namaste,
    Scott
    I've done some Ayengar yoga. I think with my body's need to be stretched for SSing, I will be doing it more. I swear after the first yoga class I did years ago, I felt 6 inches taller when I left after that class. Amazing. What is Bikram? Is that the one with heat (in a hot room)?

USB Rep'n
    I've done some Ayengar yoga. I think with my body's need to be stretched for SSing, I will be doing it more. I swear after the first yoga class I did years ago, I felt 6 inches taller when I left after that class. Amazing. What is Bikram? Is that the one with heat (in a hot room)?
    yeah, they usually include some music (meditative) and very low lighting along with the heat to produce a very unique experience. I find that allowing my muscles to stretch and breath greatly aids in recovery and strength. One thing I do (you might too but if not, try it) is to end each session with 10-15 mins of silent, prone meditiation. Sometimes I get into that state through self guided imagery (way better than dope!) and just allow my body and mind to drift. It's an amazing way to end the workout.

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    yeah, they usually include some music (meditative) and very low lighting along with the heat to produce a very unique experience. I find that allowing my muscles to stretch and breath greatly aids in recovery and strength. One thing I do (you might too but if not, try it) is to end each session with 10-15 mins of silent, prone meditiation. Sometimes I get into that state through self guided imagery (way better than dope!) and just allow my body and mind to drift. It's an amazing way to end the workout.
    my wife and her family are into bikram big time. I tried it once, in an effort to improve flexibility. All I could think for 45 min was, "Holy crap it's too hot in here." Not exactly the yoga state of mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sounds like you're already set, but just FYI- his address is unconfirmed because Paypal will only confirm addresses in the US. I sold some small parts to a guy in Canada earlier this year. He paid by Paypal, and I had the same uneasiness about it, but it went smoothly. It's good to be cautious with online transactions, but at the same time, I know it's easy to get to be a bit paranoid. You always read about online scams and such, and it would sound like they happen constantly, but that's because people don't go around to every message board posting about all the successful sales they make.

You Are What You Is
    I've used paypal for at least 100 transactions and I've only been burned once. I paypal'd a guy $300 for a fork (from mtbr) and never received squat. After I filed a grievance with paypal they were able to get me about $15 back from his account, but I was screwed for the rest. I think it's pretty hard to get ripped off as a seller. Once the money is in your paypal account you just need to transfer it to your bank account which should take 3 days to clear.

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

Not always true

Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    I've used paypal for at least 100 transactions and I've only been burned once. I paypal'd a guy $300 for a fork (from mtbr) and never received squat. After I filed a grievance with paypal they were able to get me about $15 back from his account, but I was screwed for the rest. I think it's pretty hard to get ripped off as a seller. Once the money is in your paypal account you just need to transfer it to your bank account which should take 3 days to clear.

As an eBay seller I would disagree. I think the buyer always has the upper-hand. Even if you as the seller transfer the funds into your account you are still not 100% safe. If the buyer decides to refuse the credit card charge then PayPal will try and deduct the amount from your PayPal account, if they can not do that then they will charge YOUR credit card for the amount to be refunded to the buyer, as a last option they will try and transfer the money from your bank account to cover the buyer. Please READ the PayPal policy it is very clear about this and it sucks for sellers.

A few tips I use:
    - Never do business with anyone that does not live in the "USA", has a confirmed address and you must ship to that address. This is the ONLY was you are protected by the PayPal Seller protection policy and even then not 100%.
    - Always try and request bank transfers and not credit card options. Your Paypal account has an option that allows you to require a bank transfer from buyer even if they also have a credit card on file.
    - Once the person pays transfer the money into your account.
    - Immediately transfer the money into an account that PayPal cannot touch.
    - Ship the item.

This may seem like a great deal to do but it has helped me on big ticket sales. I keep a checking account that is linked to PayPal and a savings account that is not. This way if PayPal goes after my checking account it cannot get anything since the money has already been moved to my savings account which they cannot touch. If they go after my credit card for a charge back requested by the buyer then I just call my credit card company and have them fight it out with PayPal. At least this way your are on level playing terms with the buyer if they try and screw you.

Hope this helps.