Easton Freehub Replacement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Easton Freehub Replacement

I have a set of 2010 Easton XC One SS wheels on my El Toro. I noticed a few times it had a "clunk" noise comming from the rear sprocket area - this has been over a few months and I just figured it was the rear cog/chain interface. On my last ride it failed to engage and would "freewheel" forewards and backwards. If I banged on the rear hub area with my hand, it would "engage" again for awhile. when it is "freewheeling" it is silent and no sound from the pawls. I suspect it needs to be replaced and not just serviced. I am guessing here as I have not had the time to pull it apart.

Where can I find a replacement freehub? I have contacted Easton ealier this week via email, but no reply as of yet. The freehub is shorter than the regular 9-speed freehub. Like around 18-20 mm.

Any help finding a replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Thx Phred
    thx, Phred
    I know my parents hated me, because my bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

mtbr member
    Pulled the freehub off tonight. The oil had been turned to a grease like substance over the past winter with water and dirt. Causing the pawls to stick in the closed position and not engaging the notches in the hub. Cleand it all up, fresh oil and good as new. No freehub needed.

Just need to make sure I include that in my maintenance of the SS. Why did I think SS would be maint. free I do not know. haha
    thx, Phred

PSYCHOLUST
    Hey Phred, I've had the same issue with Mavic Crossmax wheels as they have a VERY light spring on the pawls.
    As for EASTON, I too have a set of XC ones and recently decided to change the front hub so I could run them on another bike which has a 15mm thru-axle fork..
    I contacted EASTON and was told there are NO REPLACEMENT PARTS.

Just out of curiousity, I flipped thru the catalogue of the TWO distributors who handle EASTON here in Canada and it appears that EASTON sells WHEELSETS and there are no hubs, rims or even spokes avalible....

So take REALLY good care of those wheels, if you ever need a NEW freehub body, you'll be buying NEW WHEELS

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yeah the only way to get parts is to send them to Easton and have them do the servicing, kinda ******** if you ask me

mtbr member
    Yea kind of figured I was stuck with sending in to Easton in Scotts Valley, CA (which just happens to be a 3 hour drive from my house). They have not responded to my email (sent April 20). Not happy about that.

But I can find Easton Road freehubs and I understand they are interchangeable with the 9 speed MTB wheels. Not sure of the durability though. However, I have the SS hub which is about 18mm vs 35mm for a standard freehub length and could not locate on the net or on Eastons website.

It all turned out well as I was able to remedy the issue. And now have added that as a maintenance item for the wheels.
    thx, Phred

mtbr member
    Easton responded to my email. You can get the SS freehub. I am going to order one to have as a spare. Info from email below:

From Email "Our cassette body pawls are only available as part of a replacement cassette body, which can be ordered through our customer service at 877-835-6629.
    SINGLESPEED CASSETTE BODY - XC
    Part No. 12017121
    $44.88

It may also be that the pawls and spring simply need to be serviced in order to improve engagement."
    thx, Phred

Members who have read this thread: 0