Eastcoast trends reshap the sport of MTBing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Eastcoast trends reshap the sport of MTBing

It's true. Now, I know that the birthplace was Mt Tam back in the 70's w/ a bunch of hippies, and that throughout the early and mid 90's the west was king, but the current trends (single speeding, "all mountian" riding and even freeriding) are and have been coming from the narly rooty, rocky, leafy, woodsy, humid, wet, muddy, conditions of eastcoast riding and they are having a huge impact on this industry*. Ya, the photo's in the high-gloss mags may tell a different story, but that's just propoganda hard at work. The sole of this sport is bing reborn, and it's happening on the east coast baby!!

*The Pacific Northwest, which holds similar characteristics of eastcoast riding conditions and attitudes, is really a displaced extension of the eastcoast and therefore it defaults to the right coast.

Play Beer!

kung food
    um...

mtbr member
    ok.

however i think your facts are a bit off.

mtbr member
    Biggie smalls and 2-pac had a simular coast battle...just kiddin!!! Is the birth place of SS's and fixies from Italy...Anyone have a history lesson? I am curious...think I am gonna do some google searches!!! Thanks for finding somethin for me to do at work

banned

buffalo soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by jacazz
    It's true. Now, I know that the birthplace was Mt Tam back in the 70's w/ a bunch of hippies
    They like to think it was they who started it all. Whomever built and rode the first bicycle started it all because I'd wager to guess that it was ridden in the dirt...a lot.

As far as your troll goes, Jim Morrison said a long time ago, The West is the best.

Now go ride a root.

Nat
    mtbr member
    It's true. Now, I know that the birthplace was Mt Tam back in the 70's w/ a bunch of hippies, and that throughout the early and mid 90's the west was king, but the current trends (single speeding, "all mountian" riding and even freeriding) are and have been coming from the narly rooty, rocky, leafy, woodsy, humid, wet, muddy, conditions of eastcoast riding and they are having a huge impact on this industry*. Ya, the photo's in the high-gloss mags may tell a different story, but that's just propoganda hard at work. The sole of this sport is bing reborn, and it's happening on the east coast baby!!

*The Pacific Northwest, which holds similar characteristics of eastcoast riding conditions and attitudes, is really a displaced extension of the eastcoast and therefore it defaults to the right coast.

Play Beer!
    Nice first post.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Nice first post.
    And nice screen name.

banned
    Apr 2004

I'd say cycling is going off every where in America

Play Beer!
    Lots of single speeders, big travel trail bikes, Anorexic HT & FS XC race bikes, and roadies like swarms of locusts out her in California.

Nat
    mtbr member
    __________ O
    _________ /\
    ________ / \---
    _\ ___/
    / \ \
    ( /-- ) / ( \ )
    Last edited by Nat; 11-10-2004 at 08:13 PM.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Talk to the hand, newbie. I don't need no stinkin' handle.
    not talkin to you, bud. "jacazz"??? hello?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    not talkin to you, bud. "jacazz"??? hello?
    Pardon.

Probably drunk right now

Man....

Play Beer!
    You're so kore, dude. We all bow down and admire your brass nipples. SSing is a recent trend? I had no idea. Someone better notify the historians for the TdF, since they seem to think that Le Tour was run on singlespeed fixed gears. Little do they know that singlespeeding is a recent trend eminating from the East Coast. Thanks for clearing this up.

You don't happen to have a list of 10 Rules of East Coast Shore riding, do you? That would be extremely valuable, I think.

Ken

kung food
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    You don't happen to have a list of 10 Rules of East Coast Shore riding, do you? That would be extremely valuable, I think.

Ken
    Sorry, the first of the ten rules for EAST COAST gnar-core shore riding is do not talk about EAST COAST gnar-core shore riding.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by jace
    Sorry, the first of the ten rules for EAST COAST gnar-core shore riding is do not talk about EAST COAST gnar-core shore riding.
    Wow that's so very Fight Club-ish...

The first rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club...
    The second rule of Fight Club is you do NOT talk about Fight Club, etc...

From what I interpreted from all the history of MTB stuff is MTB started with klunkers in Marin but it's the North Shore riders that revolutionised MTB that 'saved' MTB from losing creditbility(and existance) as roadies dis' MTB as a fad.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But when and who start the sudden rise in the popularity of SS?
    The first signs of SS becoming taken as 'mainstream' was about 2000-ish when I saw an ad for On-One in a big MTB magazine, "Singlespeed?, WTF?, how do ride up a hill without your 27-speeds?", an article that changed my stance on SS was by Flynny that started with "Gears! The more the merrier, that's what I've always thought.".

Contrarian
    I think you'll find these guys invented organised off-road cycling
    Don't you guys ever talk about anything apart from bikes?
    www.shitshifter.com

kung food
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    From what I interpreted from all the history of MTB stuff is MTB started with klunkers in Marin but it's the North Shore riders that revolutionised MTB that 'saved' MTB from losing creditbility(and existance) as roadies dis' MTB as a fad.

You're definitely buying way too much into the hype. There have been precious few evangelical moments in mtbing (discounting MBA's near holy ability to rename the same thing almost ever year - from velo-schussing to freeride to big-hit to black-diamond to...)

People have been riding mountain bikes a long arse time. It was easily cemented as a valid market and non-fad a decade before the words North Shore were ever printed in mainstream media. Of course, pilfing the term "freeride" from the snowboard industry, allowed companies to put a name to the natural progression of riding bikes in the woods and sell a fresh and sexy "xxxtreme" image to a new generation of 13 and 40 year olds that perhaps didn't have the fitness or attention span prior. Growth and profit in our industry is largely based on convincing riders that their equipment obsolesces near annually and they absolutely need the newest and best technology to keep up. This is of course not the case and one of the reasons MTBing itself is especially inclined to buzzwords and fads (purple ano, bio-pace, rapid-rise, spv?)

In '96 my group of riding buddies drew most of its experience from motorcycle trials. They never wore spandex (except perhaps under their jeans) and rode in leg armor (or soccer shinpads) on steel hardtails with "long-travel" Z-1s, tall riser bars, platform pedals, and 1x8 drivtrains with homemade bashguards. They smoked lots of pot and pedal-kicked, wheelie-dropped and gapped everything in sight. They were also considered freakish by the more traditional riders but their bikes and skills were a perfect match for our terrain and they outrode nearly all of them, which helped lay the groundwork for developing places in the New England like Lynn Woods and Vietnam. This is of course years before the "freeride movement" and mtb magazines would hop on the bandwagon and inform them they had to buy new bikes if they wanted to continue to ride like that.

HIYAH

I have asked honest to god real questions about real bike issues, with no answers...And this guy makes some nonsense wise crack and gets all of the attention...I am very jealous!

those are Rollercams...

I dig East coast riding....

...but I've never ridden a bike west of Pennsylvania so I'm probably not qualified to judge.

Kearsarge crawler
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    They like to think it was they who started it all. Whomever built and rode the first bicycle started it all because I'd wager to guess that it was ridden in the dirt...a lot.

As far as your troll goes, Jim Morrison said a long time ago, The West is the best.

Now go ride a root.
    Rode my SS for the first time today, even rode some roots. I think I may have the first SS mtb in town, what have I won? I think even the Durango Wheel Club photo at Bakers Bridge would dispell any eastcoast claim.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've seen and ridden those wes' coas' trails - they're wide and smooth enough for training wheels!

banned

you musta

Quote Originally Posted by Fixeyfreeride
    I've seen and ridden those wes' coas' trails - they're wide and smooth enough for training wheels!
    You must have used mtbr trail reviews to find what you rode. How incomplete of you, especially for being as extreeeem as you appear to think you are.

mtbr member

Play Beer!

Do you drink red Mountain Dew too?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixeyfreeride
    West Coast...you mean Durango?

Members who have read this thread: 0