Eagle xx1 ss crankset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Eagle xx1 ss crankset

Anyone try to use an Eagle Xx1 as a ss crankset? Just wondering if anyone has come up with a chain, cog combo that will work with all.
    MCH Co-Captain

Downcountry AF
    Well, if you get the chainline sorted the next issue is chain compatibility. Some aftermarket chainrings are compatible, some not. I'm not sure if the Sram 12 speed chainring is compatible with a 11 or 10 or SS chains. Also need to make sure the cog you use is compatible.

IMO it would be easier to swap chainrings with something you know is going to work.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    do you have bike with a eagle that you will convert to SS on a permanent basis or temporary. I would sell off the eagle crankset with eagle drive train for $$$$ and go with something cheaper and less trendy.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...or-sram-cranks

States 10, 11, and 12 sp compatible. I use the RF version of this ring with a KMC chain and it works great.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I don't currently have the Eagle crank but wanted to go with the bling factor. I thought of just getting an aftermarket chainring but that kind of adds to the expense. Maybe I should go another direction. Any suggestions for Boost compatible cranksets? Eagle was one that ran that spacing thus my interest. Your help is appreciated!
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Do you even need a boost crank set on a single speed? You just need to set the chainline and that is pretty flexible on a SS. You just have to have it right.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

President of the Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Do you even need a boost crank set on a single speed? You just need to set the chainline and that is pretty flexible on a SS. You just have to have it right.
    Agreed. The boost spacing in XX cranks is in the chainring itself, not the crank. There are boost and non boost chainrings. But it shouldn't matter for SS.

I have an X 1 Eagle crankset I'm going to put on my coming new SS build. My understanding is that people use narrow wide rings with all sorts or chains with no problem.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    Agreed. The boost spacing in XX cranks is in the chainring itself, not the crank. There are boost and non boost chainrings. But it shouldn't matter for SS.

I have an X 1 Eagle crankset I'm going to put on my coming new SS build. My understanding is that people use narrow wide rings with all sorts or chains with no problem.
    So, what chainring/chain/cog do you plan on using? I've basically decided against the Eagle crankset to eliminate the hassle. I have a decent crank/chain/cog option that works well so there's no point in buying anything new.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Im running an X-9 (same dimensions as the carbon brothers) with n/w and a SRAM 8 speed chain and have a perfect chainline with zero issues on my SS. Whether you choose a boost or non boost chainring for a SS depends on your rear end or how you space the rear cog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I get the feeling that the OP is overthinking things a little here. First, you can't buy a new SRAM carbon crank that isn't Eagle. I tried, and my guy couldn't find them anywhere. Best you can do is find NOS of the old XX1/X01 stuff. Second, the spider interface between the old version and the new Eagle stuff is the same from my research. Third, the 12spd chain has the same pitch as the 8, 9, 10 and 11 speed chains. Width is the only thing that changes, so running a 10spd chain on an Eagle ring may reduce the drop-stop abilities a little, but that's irrelevant for SS use. So, buy the crank, put your favorite 10spd chain on it, mate it to the cog of your choice and get riding.

I have an Eagle crank coming for my latest build. I'll be putting a 110bcd spider on it to mount a 46t Wolftooth ring on it. The Eagle ring will go over to my Lynskey once the AB ring wears out. I'll be using it with a KMC 10SL chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dragging this thread back from the dead. has anyone ACTUALLY used an eagle crnk/ chain ring with a 9/10 speed chain to run SS? well aware the pitch is the same.

President of the Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by motolombardo View Post
    Dragging this thread back from the dead. has anyone ACTUALLY used an eagle crnk/ chain ring with a 9/10 speed chain to run SS? well aware the pitch is the same.
    Yes. I used an eagle chainring for a while with an 8 speed chain. I switched to a Woltooth N/W as the eagle was not as round as I wanted. Both work just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    Yes. I used an eagle chainring for a while with an 8 speed chain. I switched to a Woltooth N/W as the eagle was not as round as I wanted. Both work just fine.
    Thanks, Good to know.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motolombardo View Post
    Thanks, Good to know.
    I also use an xx1 crank, got it used after my old fsa carbon triple finally cracked its pedal thread loose. I used the xx1 32 and 34 ring with a non boost spider with a kmc x10.93 and various cogs. No issue, well except their bumpy narrow wide implementation seemed to load up with fiber during winter riding.

Switched to non boost raceface direct mount ring and its really good.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, decided not to go the XX1 route only because I didn't get the frame that required a Boost crank. Stuck with my alloy SS frame with EBB and upgraded the crank.
    MCH Co-Captain