E13 TRS R vs. WI Eno vs. ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

E13 TRS R vs. WI Eno vs. ?

Starting to get together the parts for the new frame that Steve Garro will be starting for me soon. I am stuck on which crankset to go with and thought i would ask the more knowledgeable members here. Price wise both are under $50 apart from each other. Weight wise I believe the E13s win. How do they compare in stiffness and durability? I am a 225+ pound clyde so durability is a more of a concern than weight. I also like the fact that the Eno's are made here in the states and they have an option with a bash guard from the factory. How well does the WI bottom bracket hold up compared to the E13 one? The fact that both are proprietary does worry me.

Or should I just get a set of 3 ring cranks and convert them to a single with bash guard?
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    I have WI Eno cranks on my Pompetamine and the BB is certainly not proprietary: any JIS square taper BB will do, there's tons of them available in various lengths so you can adjust the chainline and Q-factor as you please. This construction is not famous for stiffness.

I put e13 XCX+ cranks on my 29er and they are more convincing in every way.

Durability should not be a problem with either.

mtbr member
    I have two sets of WI w/ Phil Wood SQ taper BBs, one set has the 30t/Bash combo. I have to be diligent on cleaning out the chain crud that accumulates between the teeth and the bash.

mtbr member
    I'll be taking delivery from Walt on a new frame in about 2 weeks. I went X9 GXP with a 28T direct mount ring. We went with the small, direct mount ring simply for tire clearance due to the super short chainstays and BIG tires. If I had the space to run a 104 BCD ring, Zee would have been my choice. Actually, Saint would have been my choice, but I can afford Zee.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thank you for the input. I was really looking at the WI Eno's but if they are not as still as the e13 that might really be the big deciding factor. I will also discuss this with Steve and see what he recommends. I want to avoid clearance issues with these and want to run a 2.4 Ardent with sliders so I can run as short of chainstays as I can.

Anyone else who would like to chime in please feel free to.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Throw that new Raceface Next Carbon thingy on... FWIW, I've not had the best of luck with the E13 BB, and broke one of the Spider arm's on the E13 also... E13 did replace the crank for me (about 8 weeks for turn around time). I'm still running the E13 since it's what I have. The Shimano XT is another nice crank for the cash.

mtbr member
    I've been running a WI Eno and Phil Wood ST BB for 4-5 years with absolutely no issues. It's been a quiet and bombproof setup for me, 2-3K miles per year SS in AZ. With the adjustability of the PW BB you can dial in a perfect chainline, it'll be a set-and-forget part of your sweet Coconino.
    I remember early versions of the E13 having issues, I think Walt of Waltworks posted something to this effect on his blog.
    I recently got a set of new Paul Mountain Cranks on the cheap. I think these will be comparable with the WI and slightly lighter. But if it weren't for me trying to build up a second bike there would be no reason to leave the flawless WI/Phil Wood setup that's been perfect to date.
    Hope that helps,
    M

Members who have read this thread: 0