Dumb Tool Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dumb Tool Question

OK, this may be silly, but I just bought a set of used wheels off a Fisher Rig and I need to know about any special tool needed to remove the lock ring that holds the cog in place on the rear hub.

The ring has three notches in it and since this is my first set of SS wheels that don't use spin-on freewheels I am new to this situation. Special tool needed? Or just knock it loose with a hammer & screwdriver
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Down South Yooper

Spanner Wrench

You need to find a spanner wrench, which looks like a half-moon shaped wrench with a dog-tooth on the end. You're also going to need a chain whip as well, to keep the freewheel from spinning as you try to unthread the lockring.

This tool from Park might be the ticket, although I'm sure there are others out there in the track world. I use an old spanner, but if I could find a ring-style wrench to do it with, you'd have less chance of it slipping off..

ttp://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=HCW-5

Good Luck

Plum

Explosive

ali'i hua
    ...and dont call me a dumb tool!

(sorry- had to go for the obvious, yet juvenile joke)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. I've got a bunch of bike tools but somehow don't own a spanner wrench. I figured it was a simple tool that I don't yet have.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    You're also going to need a chain whip as well, to keep the freewheel from spinning as you try to unthread the lockring.
    A chainwhip is how to do it right, but if you don't have one or don't want to buy one then you can loosen the lockring while the wheel is still on the bike and the chain is on. Just stabilize the cranks somehow (which in turn holds the cog steady) and use the spanner wrench to loosen the ring. Then remove the wheel and take the lockring off the rest of the way.

Members who have read this thread: 0