mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Dumb drivetrain idea

Has anyone tried putting two chains on their SS or fixie drivetrain? I'm thinking you could use a 2:1 combo of differing sizes; that is have a 36 and 32 up front and an 18 and 16 in back. I'm aware of people having put a drivetrain on both sides, but the same side?

As I said in the title, yeah it's dumb (heavy, inefficient, etc.) but was just curious. It could probably elicit a spit-take or two.

The only saving grace it would have is for a road fixie rider who is scared of braking a chain but not wanting to put on a brake as a failsafe

donkey
    Yeah, its been done. Check out the dos eno freewheel and the surly dingle cog. Or, if you have a cassette hub just put two cogs on there with the appropriate spacers to line them up with the chainrings on a traditional mountain crankset. There really is no point in doing it if you are going to have two of the exact same gear ratios.

Poorly Disguised Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast
    The only saving grace it would have is for a road fixie rider who is scared of braking a chain but not wanting to put on a brake as a failsafe
    I think that would add a bit of danger....

Imagine a fixie with the cranks spinning wildly and a chain doing its job...now imagine a second chain that is broken getting pulled into the rear wheel and whipping around...in to the spokes?...into the portion of the drivetrain that still exists?...into the riders legs?...up against the chainstays?.... I don't have any idea what would happen, but I hardly think it would add any safety in the event of a chain break.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast
    Has anyone tried putting two chains on their SS or fixie drivetrain? I'm thinking you could use a 2:1 combo of differing sizes; that is have a 36 and 32 up front and an 18 and 16 in back. I'm aware of people having put a drivetrain on both sides, but the same side?

As I said in the title, yeah it's dumb (heavy, inefficient, etc.) but was just curious. It could probably elicit a spit-take or two.

May have an issue with chain tension. Might not be able to get it right for both chains at the same time.

Not a problem if you are using the same size gears for both chains.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    I think that would add a bit of danger....I don't have any idea what would happen, but I hardly think it would add any safety in the event of a chain break.
    I was only joking, but you're right. I wouldn't want to really suggest it to anybody.

more beers, lees gears.
    I have 2 32 tooth chainrings up front. Not for any drivetrain reasons. Just so the chain ring bolts still work, and it looks super mean.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Members who have read this thread: 0