DT240SS - RWS or not?- Mtbr.com
    Down South Yooper

DT240SS - RWS or not?

Hey Kids, question for those out there running DT240 SS hubs and QR (or non-bolt on) rear ends.

I'm putting together a wheelset based on the Bontrager/DT240SS rear hub, which is currently setup for QR use. It's going on a Spot 26" horizontal dropout frame, with slotted disc mounts.

I've got a spot tensioner (the rocketship opener) on order to make chain tensioning easy, but was getting ready to get some skewers (probably shimanos) and was wondering if anybody is doing the RWS conversion on the SS hubs, and whether it's worth the investment over the QR setup.

I would obviously expect that it would be more secure, but is it necessary with a tensioner? There's the disc action on the non-drive side to worry about too, something that I can't correct with a tensioner, should I go full kit and get the RWS?

Bolt on conversions are also available, but I have to admit that a QR or RWS (or any non-tool requiring option) is more attractive to me. Rider is a 130lb female, so not linebacker type torque to deal with here.

Thanks for the advise..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Hey Plumster,

Why not try it with the regular QR and then go RWS on in if you find out she needs it?

mtbr member
    I've been using a DT 240 on my Inbred for the last year and a half. Ran it with a Shimano QR for a long time, then switched to a 10mm RWS, and then switched again to a Hadley 10mm thru-bolt. I can't say I noticed any real difference on the trail between any of those setups.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Hey Plumster,

Why not try it with the regular QR and then go RWS on in if you find out she needs it?
    What I was thinking. Only issue is this bike will be living in Marquette, MI, so making changes takes some planning...

Cost of the RWS is another issue, pretty pricey for a (upgraded) QR setup..

Plum

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I've been using a DT 240 on my Inbred for the last year and a half. Ran it with a Shimano QR for a long time, then switched to a 10mm RWS, and then switched again to a Hadley 10mm thru-bolt. I can't say I noticed any real difference on the trail between any of those setups.
    So, got a 10mm RWS for sale? I might know a guy..

Plum

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    So, got a 10mm RWS for sale? I might know a guy..

Plum
    Haha, I hadn't thought about that, but it's quite possible. PM sent to someone

Members who have read this thread: 0