Farva's #1

Are DT 5.1's overkill?

I'm pondering the thought of making a semi-beefy wheelset build for my rigid since I am riding in the Rocky Mountains which is in fact, rocky.

I know the 5.1's are durable and semi-light. Would these be overkill? Or is going with a beefier wheelset with a rigid bike a smarter thing to consider? Thanks everyone.

mtbr member

Size matters...

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCovert
    I'm pondering the thought of making a semi-beefy wheelset build for my rigid since I am riding in the Rocky Mountains which is in fact, rocky.

I know the 5.1's are durable and semi-light. Would these be overkill? Or is going with a beefier wheelset with a rigid bike a smarter thing to consider? Thanks everyone.
    Hey CC,

Go for it. I just changed my DT 4.2 to a 5.1 (rear wheel only, so far). The 4.2 had several huge dents - surprised the tire stayed on. For the added weight, I'm finding the 5.1 durable and stiff.

To be fair, this was on my squish bike (5.5 inches front/rear) and I think I'm hitting things faster on this bike than the oney, although it doesn't feel that way at times. However, having BIG, FAT tires is really valuable on a singlespeed - you won't be sorry with the bigger footprint. The weight is negligible. Also, go get you some high-volume 2.4 or 2.5 tires.

Yes, the Rockies are rocky. But a lot of good ss rides around here. Are you Front Range or Western Slope? Northern or southern CO?

Members who have read this thread: 0