DT 240 or Hope Pro II- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

DT 240 or Hope Pro II

I know this is probably a no brainer to alot of you but I have been stuck on the Hope sound and quick engagement for a while now and they have pretty much been the hubs I have been looking to buy for my next wheel set w/ Kings as a close second. But with the prices being what they are the Hope's just win out. However, I was looking at custom wheels over at Stan's and see that I can get either of these hubs w/ Crest rims for the same price. This sort of complicates things for me a tad. I know the DT's will be lighter but I don't know much else about them. The Hope's will offer the bling factor as I will get them in red where the DT's will be bling of a different nature if you will.

So what says you? Knowing that I am a bit of a WW I am now leaning towards the DT's even though I really don't want black hubs.

Not sure if there is a problem with their site but as stated, my shopping cart shows the custom wheels built with the following:

Black Crest rims
    DT 240 hubs (F/R -ss rear)
    spokes are on back order
    Red alloy nipples
    Cost = $510

Is that really possible? I mean the rear hub alone goes for close to $300! Rims are another $80 ea.... Too good to be true? Should I just order now before I wake up?

I would have to get new rotors or rotor adaptors for the center locks as they don't offer the rear hub in a 6 bolt SS.

mtbr member
    I had to replace the bearings in my 240 5 times in six months. I called the company they said " to bad, so sad. "
    I replaced the hub with a Hope Pro II, zero problems in 1 year of hard riding.

openwound
    ^ ouch.
    My 240 hasn't given me that kind of grief. I've been very happy with it.

As for the website giving you such a price, is that including spoke price (I notice that you indicate that they're on back order)?
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    I just did a quick Google search for DT Swiss 240 SS hub and the pricing I'm seeing is more like $400 for the hub alone! Something seems awry.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've got DT 240's built into a 26'er wheelset and 29'er wheelset. I don't baby my gear and ride it lots. No problems. Easy to maintain. Light. Quiet.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    I've raced and ridden on DT's for years and years and years (bought my first 240 wheelset in 2000, took a pair of 370' on the Great Divide Ride, never had a problem. Light and burly hubs. I've never ridden or even touched a Hope so take this all with a grain of salt. FWIW, I used to work at the DT warehouse back in the day, and have rebuilt my fair share of older gen 240's. Part of the beauty of DT's hubs is how easy they are to service. A decent garage with a decent set of tools, and a little mechanical ingenuity and just about anyone can tear down and rebuild a 240 rear hub. No need for spendy factory service.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I just went and built up the same set on Stan's website and I also got $510.....what gives?! Maybe I should order a set too!!

mtbr member
    As far as choosing between the two I think at this point (based on your current build and recent WW transformation) the DT Swiss are the right choice...

Low Rep Count
    I hear you. I am so close to pulling the trigger. Just waiting to hear back from my friend that is supposed be swinging by to drop off $300! If she shows, I am going open fire! Such a tuff decision. Go with red super loud Hopes or the quiet bling/light weight 240s???????? So confused!

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about a new wheelset for quite some time now and Hope and King were at the top of the list partly b/c of the "bling" factor, I mean, you can't deny the fact they look great but I just found out that the hubs on a recently acquired wheelset are lighter than both of those and despite the fact that they're just plain black and don't have quite the same engagement I'm just going to upgrade the rims/spokes and call it a day. Boils down to looks vs. weight, I'm going with weight savings (and I'm no WW....or am I??) BTW, what is the weight diff?

mtbr member
    I have been on 240s for many years now also. 200+ lbs and race expert level. Never had a problem. I own 3 sets in various configurations.

As to engagement, keep in mind DT offer a Star Ratchet upgrade that doubles the engagement. I just put a set in while I was swapping cassettes. Not because they needed to be replaced, but wanted to try them out. Took an extra 5 minutes. So easy to service.
    If ya can't fix it with a hammer and vice-grips...it don't need fixin!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    I have had a set of 240's for over 6 years now, and they have been pretty much the only wheelset i've used since. I swap them from bike to bike. I'm hard on equipment and i don't maintain my stuff. I have NEVER taken these hubs apart for anything at all, not even cleaning or lube, except for recently when i made a conversion kit for my front hub to run a 15mm thru axle. The bearings spin as smooth as ever and everything is still tight. With that said, i do not know if the new DT is as good as the old DT. I've heard mixed things, so i'm almost weary of trying another set. Although, i'd definitely take them over Hope hubs as i think they're better engineered.
    If these ever crap out on me, i'll probably try CK unless i get a good bro deal somewhere on something else. I don't mess around with wheels, it's ALWAYS money well spent.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    btw, the DT-Swiss rotor adapters are the best thing since sliced bread. I'd DEFINITELY take them over a 6 bolt hub given the choice. It's so easy to put a rotor on with them and i believe they're actually a bit lighter to boot. My wheels came with them from DT-Swiss so you might want to check and see if they do with yours as well.

mtbr member
    I built up a set of 355's with Pro II's and the noise drove me insane. They were so loud that a dude I was racing against crashed because the noise surprised him so much. Ridiculous! Other than the obnoxious noise they were great hubs. The machining was very nice, the finish was beautiful, and the 48 point engagement was snappy. However, I ended up selling them b/c I started riding geared again (I know that is sacrilegious). To be honest, I don't miss them a bit even though I've built up a second SS. My Bontrager Comps with 17 POE hubs are fine. If I were you I'd go with the standard freehub 240's. That way your wheelset will work geared and SS. Most people swear by them and upgrading to the 36 POE star ratchet would be more than good enough for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have both the 240's and the Hopes.... I like them both. I like the DT's better because they're just cooler. They cost more so they are thus more awesome. I like the sound of both.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I had lusted for a DT 240 from way back in the day (think Hugi). I bought myself one as a reward for a successful re-entry into racing in 2007 when they were still just really expensive. It has been great. I clean and re-lube the ratchet rings about annually and have only needed to replace the outward most of the 4 bearings (which is good because for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the other 3 out).
    Now that they are ludicrously expensive I don't know if I could pull the trigger. But if you can get DTs for only $100 more than Stan's house brand I say click the "buy now" tab NOW!

mtbr member
    Don't know where you can are going or what you're doing, but you're doing something wrong. A REAR only DT 240 SS hubbed wheels with CREST rim is $560. The STOCK Crest wheelset using Stans hubs is $500 - $210 front, $290 rear. You have to select Custom Wheelset and then build the rear and front wheels separate and in so doing I got $895 for a set of DT 240 hubs laced to Crest rims using black double butted spokes with red nipples. I by some very weird circumstance you get them for $510, let us know.

As to whether DTs or Hope's, my Pro2 SS BOs have served m e well for 3 years now, broke a couple pawls in the rear and contacted Hope and the mailed me a set FOC in less than a week. I like em, they're "blingy" red and I LIKE the loud engagement, let's other trail users know I'm coming and let's those I'm riding with now when I'm freeing - in other words pedal your damn bike already
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Low Rep Count
    I seriously think there was a glitch in the system. I can see where it is now charging me some $800! Honestly, it was not doing that the other day. I logged back in just now and even my shopping cart is empty! Trust me, I ran through the building process about 3 times before I posted this thread and came up with $590 for the set every time and saved it in my cart the last time. I knew I should have just bought them on the spot and then argued the hell out of it with them when they tried to tell me I owed them more money!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Say if you checked out when the price is $510, will they honor it? I'm quite new at purchasing online, so I'm wondering...

mtbr member

240 ss on crest

Almost a year of trouble free service from my Stan's set ztr crest ss specific 240 hubs. Wheels and hubs still perfect. Have not touched them yet. Smooth like budda !
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    In my experience... the Hope Pro 2 build wheels were WAY cheaper than the DT build. I dont think the quality of the DT is good enough to overcome the price difference... plus they don't looks as good.

Members who have read this thread: 0