Dropper posts on your rigid ss...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Dropper posts on your rigid ss...

Do many folks here use dropper posts on their rigid ss'rs? Just curious. It seems to go against the inherent simplicity of the bike, yet there are certainly times when I could use to get lower than I can simply getting down behind the saddle(I don't have a QR clamp either for switching it mid-ride before a descent--have just been going for the utmost simplicity). While I'm sold on riding rigid ss, I COULD see adding a dropper as the only "modern" feature at some point….(maybe a slippery slope though!)
    Just curious!

mtbr member
    I thought about it but after riding the bike more and more I didn't see a point.
    It's ridged. It doesn't go down a mountain fast. So really no point to add more weight to it and a able to the bars to help go down something you aren't gonna break records doing anyways
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    I thought about it but after riding the bike more and more I didn't see a point.
    It's ridged. It doesn't go down a mountain fast. So really no point to add more weight to it and a able to the bars to help go down something you aren't gonna break records doing anyways
    Yeah, I hear ya--was just thinking about it terms of control in certain situations, like twisty switchbacky descents---I'm the slowest guy on the trail anyway--not a speed thing for me!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbass View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya--was just thinking about it terms of control in certain situations, like twisty switchbacky descents---I'm the slowest guy on the trail anyway--not a speed thing for me!
    I hear ya.. I wanted one for control also for some tight spots and just to get the damn thing out from under me lol... I;m to used to it not there on my other bikes,. Just got used it it.
    Too Many .

WillWorkForTrail
    I've thought really hard about it. To the point I've even shopped around for 27.2 posts. The idea is very appealing to me, since I feel like I'm a little more limited in my range of movement on my SS by the fact that I run clipless to get just that extra little bit of power (keeps me from stalling (sometimes) on the really punch sections of trail around here) rather than flats, in combination with the fact that I really like my seat up in the air pretty good - it keeps it in the way most of the time. The same relative height on my FS geared bike, and I can get around it more easily because I run flats on that. At some point, it will probably happen, but right now there are some things keeping it from happening:

Uncertainty about reliability.
    Cost. (lets be honest, a dropper with a decent reputation isn't cheap)
    Weight. Even my LBS mechanics are constantly surprised by how light my bike is, but it's not delicate either - it's well thought out, and I like it that way.

Category Winner
    It's more of a want than a need, but I've decided I would no longer ride without one. Started using a dropper a couple of years ago, went back and forth early on, but a recent experiment this past winter with a regular post had me wanting nothing but droopage.

I've ridden all kinda of nasty things all over the place (BC Bike Race, Trans Rockies, Breck Epic, Trans-Sylvania Epic etc) on a normal post, but now... nope.

I drop all the things and will continue to do so for as long as I can imagine.

Ridden this section more times than I can count on a regular post. So much more pleasant this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh5Jkh8NpjE

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

SS Pusher Man
    I just recently removed the dropper post from my FS rig....really didn't need it, really didn't want it. Preferred the simplicity of my regular post. Gave my spare dropper post to a friend.

Really never gave it much thought as to whether or not to put one on the SS. I don't even have a QR on the SS.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I was thinking about maybe just adding a QR, so if I know I've got a long enough descent in front of me I can stop and lower it, but then again I used to do that on my other (geared front sus) bike and eventually stopped doing it 'cause I didn't want to interrupt my flow(as slow as it is)

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jbass View Post
    I was thinking about maybe just adding a QR, so if I know I've got a long enough descent in front of me I can stop and lower it, but then again I used to do that on my other (geared front sus) bike and eventually stopped doing it 'cause I didn't want to interrupt my flow(as slow as it is)
    I used to be the same way. Went from a QR, to just keeping a 5mm handy, to just not caring anymore.

Dropper with a remote lever just makes it all too handy to ignore. Speed, control, comfort, safety... all at the push of a button.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

SCRUBDUNKER
    I'd like a drooper.

Category Winner
    Dropper posts on your rigid ss...-droop.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    I'd like a drooper.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I experimented with QR seat post collars first. Then bought a Thomson dropper last year. Haven't looked back. No more stopping to raise/lower and mess up my flow-shui. Added some grammage to the bike, but benefits > weight/cost.

It is not a want. It is necessity. Buy one.

mtbr member
    I just run my seat significantly lower on my rigid ss than I do on all the other bikes. It's rare to sit and spin on the local trails and I'm usually standing on every climb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Am in the only guy who think seat posts period on a single speed are useless?!?! Who sits down???? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by numbnuts View Post
    Am in the only guy who think seat posts period on a single speed are useless?!?! Who sits down???? :-)
    Now your SN makes so much sense.

I <3 dirt
    I recently bought an x fusion 27.2 dropper for my superfly ss. Made a world of difference on my descending and confidence over technical stuff.

I always found it unsettling going from my geared FS bike with a dropper to my rigid single without.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I would never ride without dropper on SS. But it is my hardcore ride bike. Downieville, etc. It really depends on how you ride the bike. Dropper posts are so expensive, that I almost wish I never tried one, as I now use on both bikes. $800 for 2 bikes. Anyway, as others said, the safety factor is important to me as I ride way to fast. If you don't push the limits of your skills, I don't see the necessity of a dropper. Save the money and enjoy the ride.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    What drooper do you have? Thomson? Is it the best? I have decided I need a drooper for Breck Epic next year.

openwound
    I run gravity dropper turbo posts on all of my off-road bikes. Wouldn't ride without one. As has been mentioned the added speed, control, safety, and comfort are worth the additional weight imho. It changes the feel of the bike on descents with the saddle completely out of the way. And then it's at the correct height when I want to sit and peddle. Ahhhh, progress...
    -- let's ride

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    What drooper do you have? Thomson? Is it the best? I have decided I need a drooper for Breck Epic next year.
    I run a Thomson on both of my bikes. Expensive, yes.

But I haven't been let down either.

I've done Breck Epic from 2009-2013. This will be my first year with a drooper. I am excite. Two of my favorite all-time descents are in that race.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    I run a rockshox on my slash and a KS Lev on my stache. And after running the KS I will only run that dropper.

One day a dropper might go on the SS just goes around the point of my SS really

mtbr member
    Put a dropper on the FS a year ago and holy hell! Why did I hold out so long! Didn't waste any time getting one for the SS and now I can confidently ride stuff I had difficulty with before, plus it was always unnerving going down steep tech with the back of the seat right in front of the twig and berries...now the seat is safely out of the way. Tight cornering is much more fun, too. And jumps. And drops. And rollers.

Combined the dropper with a switch back to flats after riding clipless for many years and my technique has really improved in all phases. I guess there's a reason the freestylers have their seats slammed?

The FS has a Reverb, and the SS has a Gravity Turbo. Really liking the simplicity of the Gravity, plus I found all I really needed was full up or full down. Getting one now for the geared Niner hardtail.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

I <3 dirt
    I wish they made a 27.2 reverb....I'd buy it instantly.

Stokeless Asshat
    Buncha wimps. Go old school or go home.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Got a cheap TMARS 27.2 Gravity Dropper clone on the Unit. Although it's off at the moment for a pull apart and looksy at what makes it tick.
    Hopefully it goes back together without many left over parts...

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Funny. Leftover parts. Whenever I disassemble a 12 pack, I seem to use all the parts, but it takes a few days.