Dropper post on rigid singlespeed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Dropper post on rigid singlespeed?

Who's doing it, and what are you running? It seems to make a lot of sense, though the luddite in me paused.

mtbr member
    I know a few who are doing that. I think they are on KS Lev posts. I have a Brand X Ascend II post, but I have not been using it because the remote lever was so horrible. I'll be back on it once I get a better remote. it's heavy, especially compared to my Thomson post. in the meantime, I found that I am still pedal without killing my knees after lowering my saddle about 1 cm, and it gives me a little more room to confidently wrangle the bike. I don't sit and pedal very much anyways.

my brief experience riding with it so far is that it gives you a ton more confidence on chunky stuff and drops. since you don't have suspension, you are much more free to use your arms and legs to keep the bike upright with the saddle out of the way. I think that rigid riders probably benefit more than HT or FS riders for this reason.

EAT MORE GRIME
    yeah have one on my ss fatbike

it works, I am PR'ing some chunky corners with more speed through them
    and in drop sections. but the downside is if I don't raise it quick enough my
    suds drop wayyyy fast...so timing is super critical on the SS (less on geared)
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I run one on my SS with a suspension fork and I think it would be even more beneficial with a rigid fork. Mine is just an ultra-cheap ebay mechanical version (TMARS) and it's still an awesome upgrade for my SS.

mtbr member
    I tried one of the short travel KS posts for a while on my rigid SS. Made a big difference on technical downhills and corners, and overall I think I was faster.

I stopped using it though because I just didn't enjoy the extra complexity while riding. I don't mind them at all on my FS geared bikes, but I want my singlespeeds to be as simple as possible.

Droppers are also a lot less compliant than quality carbon posts. There was a drastic difference in comfort when rode the KS carbon dropper and Niner RDO carbon post back to back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Personally I'm less worried about speed than fun, and I am a lot more comfortable in the air with my seat dropped because I've been dropping my saddle for so long on descents.....I'm not sure which is faster, but even in a race I'm happier with a dropper on because I'm not going pro anytime soon (ever).

Combat Wombat
    I have a KS Lev in the mail today for my rigid Kona Unit. A couple of my favorite local trails have some very steep, rocky sections that I believe I will really benefit from being able to drop the post. I watch the guys I ride with tackle these areas, and while their suspension does help, being able to get low on the bike is what makes the difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I was a dropper skeptic for a long time, but after riding one on my hard tail, I started to see the benefits.

Now I think I'd have a hard time going back (still won't say that I 'need' one though).

I've got one on my rigid bike and my FS bike and the utility seems equal on both. Funny, a dropper on a rigid bike is similar to suspension in my mind; allowing the rider to absorb more trail and let the bike work under them.

Edit: forgot to mention that the Race Face Aeffect dropper is awesome. Lever feel can be weird if you set it up per the Race Face instructions. Use the setup process for the X-Fusion Manic (same post basically) and it feels way better.

mtbr member
    Yep, I've had a KS Crux 27.2 on my rigid SS for a couple years. It's great and I don't miss the old Ti post.

Dropper post on rigid singlespeed?-konatrainbridge.jpg
    Dave

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the input guys. I am perched at the bottom of Walt's waitlist to build a new 29+ SS. I am in the early planning phase and gathering intel for the design.

Category Winner
    A.B.C.D.

Always Be Constantly Drooping

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by murphyd View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I am perched at the bottom of Walt's waitlist to build a new 29+ SS. I am in the early planning phase and gathering intel for the design.
    Well, not to mention that Walt will give you a hell of a deal on a dropper, so no reason why you shouldn't get on that train.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I just built up my first SS with this:

https://www.amazon.com/ExaForm-Speed...ed+up+30.9+200

It's manual raise and lower, light, cheap, and the lever's under the seat which means no lever on the bars (one the main reasons I chose it). A simple dropper for a simple bike. Plenty of size and drop options, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I had a T-mars 27.2 dropper. It was just too heavy and poorly made. It is a chinese ebay dropper for under $100, not recommended but there is not a big selection for 27.2 dropper seatpost sizing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

banned
    Dec 2010
    Since my seat is always in the wrong position, especially on my SS, yes a droppers a great idea. Anyone use the lever under the seat type?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yo, check like two posts up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Found a deal on a LEV 272 so I pulled the trigger. Haven't installed it yet but looking forward to it.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    They do work though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhayes05 View Post
    I had a T-mars 27.2 dropper. It was just too heavy and poorly made. It is a chinese ebay dropper for under $100, not recommended but there is not a big selection for 27.2 dropper seatpost sizing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Something funny about this post is that people talking like they can't drop their seatpost without dropper post. There are of coz advantages of having a more room of movement. But you can also do that with a quickfit. I just converted from dropped post back to quickfit for simplicity. I can still drop my seatpost without stopping the bike, just take some more practise.

mtbr member
    I've usually got a Thompson dropper on my rigid Gnarvester. I agree with everything said above but the other thing I love on singlespeed that no one else had mentioned is that with infinite adjustment posts like the Thompson you can run your post a little higher than you would normally on a mtb. More like on a CX or road bike which I find much more efficient and comfortable on the ss when on flat sections. I then drop it about 1cm when I hit "normal singletrack" and then fully drop it for gnar. Makes a huge difference for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I would like to try one mainly because I think it would help climbing in the chunky stuff. Maybe I will...

mtbr member
    Fox or don't do it.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dropper makes for more fun. I've got a few Thomsons and an X-Fusion. The Thomson's are great, and then they start to sag and need service. X-fusion is super smooth, but the remote is shit, with upgraded remote it's the best setup I've run. It has yet to sag, which is a good thing.
    Age is a state of mind