dropouts and files- Mtbr.com
    Manual4ever

dropouts and files

so I was out having fun in the slush and snow on my STP (w/hookworms!) when all a sudden I was slammed into the stem! the deraileur hanger snapped off clean, jamming my tensioner between my CS and tire. Very sad, no STP hangers in town and if i could find a 34 tooth chainring I could have a magic ratio. No rings either.

Now i'm thinking the frame was only 400cdn, I could file the drop outs just a bit and run my current 36x18 tentionerless, question is. how should I do this? Rat tail file? Dremel?
    Anyone try this?

What day are we riding?
    I have done it before. Use whatever you can control the easiest. You don't want to remove too much...

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

File the axle, not the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin
    I have done it before. Use whatever you can control the easiest. You don't want to remove too much...
    I remember a thread about that a year or more ago. I was ready to do it when a wheel switch solved my problem. But, you can replace the axle on your wheel easier that any material removed from the frame. Do a search and then give it a try. Then post pictures and tell us how it worked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime8
    ... I could file the drop outs just a bit and run my current 36x18 tentionerless, question is. how should I do this? Rat tail file? Dremel? Anyone try this?
    The difference in length between a 34:18 and a 36:18 tensionerless chain-stay is 6mm, that is a lot of material to file off. If you do, make sure there is enough material in the dropout. You'd be better off using a ratio closer to your chainstay length... like 34:18.

I used both, a dremel and a round medium file. Take a little bit off at a time, check frequently by inserting the wheel to make sure the slots are parrallel.

I posted this 2 years ago - unfortunately the pictures are missing due to issues at MTBR (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=2005). However, it only gives you +/- 2.5mm of ajustability, enough to take care of chain wear.

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by itsdoable; 01-01-2006 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As usual, Sheldon Brown to the rescue http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html#vertical
    He goes over just about all the potential options for vertical dropout fixed gear conversion.

Members who have read this thread: 0