Drivetrain issue(s)...?- Mtbr.com
    Making fat cool since '71

Drivetrain issue(s)...?

So, after switching parts from one frame to another I now have a constant "catch" or slipping when pedaling under any power. Not while the bike is in the stand, but guaranteed under power. It makes it basically unrideable. The only changes are the frame, the bottom bracket and the chain...

I had no such issue on the other frame.

Now, I'm not any kind of pro-wrencher or anthing so it's very (very...) conceivable I have done something incorrectly. Maybe the BB? If I didn't do something correctly installing the BB would that be the cause? I can't imagine it's the hub since I've not been having issues on the other frame. Thoughts?

Thank you, thank you very much.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Out spokin'
    The other frame is better.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If your chain is catching I'd make sure that your drive-line is straight. You may need a spacer or need to remove one.

If your chain is slipping under power ... make sure your sprockets and chain are in good condition also you may need a chain tensioner.

The chainring/cog are lined up, but the singleator may not be perfect. I've tried two chains, both new, and the chainring is perfect, the cog is so-so, but I had no issues of skipping recently on the other frame...

I'm going to experiment after work. In a quick run-around this AM it seemed as though the chain is trying to run off the cog...but the singleator didn't look out of alignment, but I gotta admit I didn't have time to get too careful in checking.

Tex, thanks.

Sparty, kiss my a$$

Brock...

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Sparty, kiss my a$$

Brock...
    I'm all puckered up, brutha.

--Sparty

P.S. Bent hanger under that singlator, perchance?
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ssuhweeettt...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I'm all puckered up, brutha.

--Sparty

P.S. Bent hanger under that singlator, perchance?
    You always have had purty lips...

Carp like this bother me. Bike issues should be simple and obvious...or maybe I should know more about bikes...and simple things. Like chocolate, it simply rocks.

Brock...

P.S. Now, thank *you* Davey! It's been on heck of a day. I needed a laugh. You the man! (I'm not even home yet, it's 7:38 PM office time...I got here at 7:20...AM).

P.P.S. I have to get this bike fixed...

P.P.P.S. And go home...

P.P.P.P.S. And have some beers...

Retro Grouch

Not much info to go on..

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    So, after switching parts from one frame to another I now have a constant "catch" or slipping when pedaling under any power. Not while the bike is in the stand, but guaranteed under power. It makes it basically unrideable. The only changes are the frame, the bottom bracket and the chain...

I had no such issue on the other frame.

Now, I'm not any kind of pro-wrencher or anthing so it's very (very...) conceivable I have done something incorrectly. Maybe the BB? If I didn't do something correctly installing the BB would that be the cause? I can't imagine it's the hub since I've not been having issues on the other frame. Thoughts?

Thank you, thank you very much.

Brock...
    The usual suspect is the Singleator. If your new bike created more chain slack, then the singleator would have to take up more slack. If your Singleator is in the push down mode, then this will also decrease the chain wrap. I suggest you try a half link and switch to the push up mode. Also in the push up mode you can ziptie the Singleator arm to the chain stay, which should keep the chain from skipping over the cog; of that's the problem.

1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 03-16-2007 at 08:38 AM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    C'mon Brock. You know who to bring it to. I'll be around tomorrow (that's Friday) night if'n ya wants to have me make it go fur ya, or we could arrange another time. I'll be at trail maintenance Sat during the day. Call me to confirm if you want to do something like that.

Custom User Title
    When i swapped frames i got a chain skip that was partly due to bad chainline, and partly the fact that I tightened the chaintool too much when joining the links and made a link too stiff. It skipped when pedalling uphill but not on the flat. Mine is a beginners mistake so i doubt that's what you've done. confession here endeth.....

Thanks Flaps. We will get this bassturd whipped into shape or...I'll kill it again...it's risen from the dead once...twice won't be a problem, right?

Pudge: I'd love to say I don't make beginner's mistakes, but...

Brock...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Same chain?

Are you using the same type of chain as on the old setup? When I switched frames a few months ago, I reused all of the drivetrain except I put a new chain on. I had problems with something feeling like it was catching or crunching when I was pedaling hard. Turns out the new chain (ss specific) was wider than my old chain (8 speed) and it was catching on the bashguard. I went back to an 8 speed chain and all was good. I guess I could have played around with spacing the bashguard out as well, but this seemed easier.

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but maybe it will help.

Custom User Title
    I forgot to mention that I was only using the chaintool because i forgot to put the fastening plate back on the master link. Although i noticed on about my second pedal stroke when it snapped... Now that's a beginners mistake..... I think i've said too much...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    new chain on worn cog = skippy

Members who have read this thread: 0