Drive train question- Mtbr.com
    Don't skid

Drive train question

OK, I picked up one of the Jenson special Inbred frames. I am almost done building it (by almost done I mean i bought a few parts and am about ready to steal parts from my P2 to get this thing running). I will be running a standard 9-speed hub in the rear, just in case I want to run gears at some point (for races). My question now is how to gear it. I have a few old cassettes and plenty of old chainrings. My plan is to grind the pins off the old cassettes and pick the gearing ratio and spacers I need. Up front I'll run a 32 ring (with the shift tabs). My starting gearing ratio will be either 32/16 or 32/15. I plan on riding mostly road/gravel road and some mild single track.
    My main concern is with the chain coming off the gears. I read in the FAQ that it is better to use SS specific gears b/c they the chain stays in place better. How much of a problem is this? I have sliding drop out so it seems that I can tension the chain enough so this would really be an issue but I just want to check to see if it is really worth the extra $$ to buy a SS ring and rear cog.

Also take into consideration that I way 260 lbs so when I stand up on my bike and start hammering it uphill or sprinting there will be considerable flex in the frame and the cranks.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member
    Yes a SS cog and ring are worth it. Get them to be on the safe side.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    If you run ramped rings and cogs chain dropping is something that could happen. To prevent or minimize it without spending on new rings is to install them with the ramps facing out.

A Salsa ring and a Shimano DX cog are inepensive and will give you piece of mind.

Try a 2:1 (32:16) ratio and take it from there.

mtbr member

Yes and no!

My advice would be to start out with what you have and play around with your gear ratios. You may drop a chain sometimes, but oh well. When you figure out what gear ratio you are comfortable with, then go buy a new ring and cog. As DiRt DeViL said the cheapest option probably is a Salsa ring and and a Shimano or Novatech cog (as long as your freehub body is steel). Should cost you less than $30.00.

Mark

Out spokin'

They're YOUR jewels...

...place them in harms way to whatever degree you wish.

Personally, no way would I run a ring &/or cog that was designed to toss my chain. Some investments are worth the price of entry.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0