Dremel tool (brake boss removal) advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Dremel tool (brake boss removal) advice

I know there are some out there that have done it. Level of difficulty? What bit did you use? Pictures? Any advice would be helpful. I would like to clean up the frame. Thanks in advance

Map Maker
    I just used a wrench and uncrewed my brake bosses from my frame- it left two threaded holes that I pluged with black rubber stoppers from the hardware store for like $.10 each
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Fox

I want to do this to my Fox fork... Has any body here done that?
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchess
    I just used a wrench and uncrewed my brake bosses from my frame- it left two threaded holes that I pluged with black rubber stoppers from the hardware store for like $.10 each
    To clarify, I am referring to removing the bracket that they are screwed in to. I have seen frames where people have used a dremel to remove these, so it appears that they were never welded on. Very clean look.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Zazen,
    I've done that twice - It's actually rather fun.
    You can see one of my jobs on another thread now - SSConnie's Project Voodoo. His was pretty easy as it is a steel frame. I used a hacksaw to remove the post as close as possible, without hitting the stay tubing. Then using a steel cutter dremel head attached to a real drill, I ground down the remaining stub. Progressively finer hand files finished the job.

The other one was last winter, I removed the bosses from my RockShox Sid fork. It made it look much cleaner. The slider is magnesium, so very soft. I used an air powered side cutter for the rough cut and then a dremel tool with the same steel cutter head. But I had to be careful to not cut too deep. The hard part was matching the shaping I had done on the first side on the second one.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=landshark

Tom
    Lasciate Ogne Speranza, Voi Ch'Intrate
    ~Dante

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsinger
    Zazen,
    I've done that twice - It's actually rather fun.
    You can see one of my jobs on another thread now - SSConnie's Project Voodoo. His was pretty easy as it is a steel frame. I used a hacksaw to remove the post as close as possible, without hitting the stay tubing. Then using a steel cutter dremel head attached to a real drill, I ground down the remaining stub. Progressively finer hand files finished the job.

The other one was last winter, I removed the bosses from my RockShox Sid fork. It made it look much cleaner. The slider is magnesium, so very soft. I used an air powered side cutter for the rough cut and then a dremel tool with the same steel cutter head. But I had to be careful to not cut too deep. The hard part was matching the shaping I had done on the first side on the second one.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=landshark

Tom
    OK Tom, I have no trouble with the mechanics of the operation. It's your signature quote I am curious about since I don't have any knowledge of Latin (or is it Italian?). Inquiring minds and all that.... Tim

Medium?

Google is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Divine_Comedy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gates_of_Hell

Below is some of the NorCal weekly urban crew in front of Rodin's sculpture on the Stanford campus.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks Eddy, sometimes I remember and sometimes .................

mtbr member
    Zazen,
    Like Letsinger stated, he dremeled off the brake bosses on Project Voodoo. Check out the pics on my post... it turned out super clean. You would never know there were brake bosses on the rear triangle, it's so smooth.

If you have more questions, either post on again on your post, or on the Project Voodoo post.

SSconny-

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Below is some of the NorCal weekly urban crew in front of Rodin's sculpture on the Stanford campus.
    Nice pic. Haven't been there, but the sculpture of that in Paris is gorgeous! I can't fathom doing something like that.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I cut the rear der. bosses off my SS frame w/ a typical angle grinder w/ a cut off wheel. Then sanded down the frame w/ 100 grit all the way to 800 grit and but several layers of bondo over the area to smooth it out. Once the bondo dried I then sanded more from 100 to 1000 grit, primed it, painted it, and it looks perfect. You can not tell there was ever a boss there. Ill put some pictures up later. Let me know if you have any q's.

Bennett

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

hack saw and a file and paint

Quote Originally Posted by zazen
    I know there are some out there that have done it. Level of difficulty? What bit did you use? Pictures? Any advice would be helpful. I would like to clean up the frame. Thanks in advance
    I used a hack saw on my kona jump fork to take the canti bosses then filed it down so it was fairly smooth, you could even use sand paper if you want it really smooth, I then touched up the now unpainted area with black model paint and you can only notice it if you look really close when it is clean, if the bike is somewhat dirty and you don't look reeelly closely at it you can't tell. My friends didn't notice it till I told them

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey Timmy!
    The tag line is Latin. It translates as: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
    Perhaps a bit pessimistic, but such are our times.
    oops - I think we are supposed to avoid political comments here.
    run and hide

QUOTE=Mudflaps]OK Tom, I have no trouble with the mechanics of the operation. It's your signature quote I am curious about since I don't have any knowledge of Latin (or is it Italian?). Inquiring minds and all that.... Tim[/QUOTE]
    Lasciate Ogne Speranza, Voi Ch'Intrate
    ~Dante

Members who have read this thread: 0