Down with MBA???- Mtbr.com
    KRN
    mtbr member

Down with MBA???

Ok. I have a beef with the MBA..... every time I pick up their magazine they are always telling people that Hardtails are crap & that unless you buy a FS your wasting your time. I refuse to read their magazine any more. I hate that someone is telling me that what I ride is crap! I work hard & don't like it when some people knock a great bike just because they can afford anything that they want. I paid +/- $ 600.00 for my bike & it took me a while to raise that kind of money. Yes I know a bunch of you have trust funds that daddy gave you so you dont get my point. This isn't for you, and I refuse to believe that the bike I ride is crap. What gets me is that 10 years ago the bike I ride now would be called great even though it is a SS. Have the trails we ride changed that much, or maybe we prefer to let the bike do most of the work? Eventually I do plan to buy a FS bike, however I only intend to buy a frame, I'm not able to afford the complete bike that I want yet. Here is my other beef. Why does MBA continue to tell us that unless you spend $1,500 for a bike that anything less is a waste of our time? What happened to being in it for fun, must it always be about money??????? Anyone else feel the same?

banned

MBA is irrelevant.

you must not spend much time in here. we discuss the stupidity of MBA's opinions quite frequently. if you know ANYthing about mtbs, you should realize MBA's irrelevance.

Bikes not Bombs.....

MBA = Sellouts.....

Who are they to tell anyone, anything. They have sold out many years ago. I personally stopped my subscription back in 1994. Too much bias.

The boys at MBA take the all empowering advertising dollars and basically retype what the advertisers tell them to write. They have sold their souls....

I think there are people here who have accumalated as much real life experience riding different bikes and have deep knowledge of what makes a good bike. I certainly can tell if a bike has quality welds, is aligned properly and has geometry that makes sense, not cents.

I would venture to say we have as much real world riding experience as most magazine writers, the only difference is we don't write out 1000 words once a month for a paycheck.

Not having a trust fund, but rather, having to work hard and save my money for my bikes, I can appreciate the fact that you bought the bike that suited your needs and wants for the time being. There are many bikes in the $600 price range that rival more expensive bikes. One of the differences is componentry of the bike, the frame is probably similar to more expensive frames in their model line up.

So line the cat box with that copy of MBA, or better yet, leave it in your car... so when you go camping and run out of TP... you will have the proper tool for the job, and finally, you can appreciate their words of wisdom in the proper manner....

Ride long, live happy, grow old with your bikes.....

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004

hey now!!!!

there's no way i'd line my cat's litter box with mba, that's totally not cool. i love my cats way too much to subject them to mountain bike distraction / mountain bike fiction / massive bullsh** action / etc... if i did that they would probably crap in my shoe or something out of spite. couldn't blame 'em either, y'know.

those guys suck. run what ya brung, dig the ride, and forget those fools.

like ss jerry said, the good stuff is right here. save your cash on mba and buy a new chain or something useful instead.

-eric
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRN
    Ok. I have a beef with the MBA..... every time I pick up their magazine they are always telling people that Hardtails are crap & that unless you buy a FS your wasting your time. I refuse to read their magazine any more. I hate that someone is telling me that what I ride is crap! I work hard & don't like it when some people knock a great bike just because they can afford anything that they want. I paid +/- $ 600.00 for my bike & it took me a while to raise that kind of money. Yes I know a bunch of you have trust funds that daddy gave you so you dont get my point. This isn't for you, and I refuse to believe that the bike I ride is crap. What gets me is that 10 years ago the bike I ride now would be called great even though it is a SS. Have the trails we ride changed that much, or maybe we prefer to let the bike do most of the work? Eventually I do plan to buy a FS bike, however I only intend to buy a frame, I'm not able to afford the complete bike that I want yet. Here is my other beef. Why does MBA continue to tell us that unless you spend $1,500 for a bike that anything less is a waste of our time? What happened to being in it for fun, must it always be about money??????? Anyone else feel the same?
    I happen to split may passion between my single speeds and my long travel dualie, and to be honest think MBA writes less total crap than other publications. It could be age, but I'm in pain for days if I ride my single speed on a trail particular system my pals and I work on, but not with 130mm of travel. I probably ride my single speeds more though because the Typhoon is a commuter, and my Voodoo does some commuting too. They also see more neighborhood use. The silliness goes both ways. I don't see other types of riding consider their bike types as religion like so many single speeders do. MBA actually puts down crappy stuff that breaks. It's just not as oriented toward the type of bikes and associated riding that my single speeds are. They certainly don't have a column dedicated to style, and they don't automatically get a wet spot in their pants when something is made of titanium and carbon fiber. MBA actually reviews moderate priced bikes (and parts) too and they do things like mention the $1600 member of a bike family that goes to $3000+ rides just as well. I think your beef is the magazine's focus on different types of bikes.

Birdman aka JMJ

Just say no

Ok. I have a beef with the MBA..... every time I pick up their magazine
    Don't pick it up - it's crap... buy Dirt Rag instead.

JMJ

The man who fell to earth

MBA bias...

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I read MBA from time to time and they're always pushing the FS and downing on hardtails. It's actually funny to see them try to sound unbiased when occasionally confronted with the fact that most of the top XC-racers are still winning races on hardtails. Or that many, if not most, dirt jumpers prefer (and use) hardtails. Plus, whenever they review a product, they very rarely do followups on durability and cost of repair (a significant factor in a FS bike when compared to a HT).

They also only give you their Southern Californian perspective when evaluating a product. I don't know about you, but I don't live in SoCal and the weather and riding conditions where I'm at are way, WAY more muddy than in SoCal...and riding in mud is a world apart from riding in "Moabish" desert like conditions. How well a product (or bike) performs and lasts in mud is entirely different than how they hold up in dry conditions (rim vs disc brakes for example).

Bottom line though, is that as long as a bicycle is human powered, the hardtail will always have a place. Suspension always adds weight, complexity, expense and mechanical vulnerability. It also saps at least some of the energy from the rider, some of the time (I don't care what kind of "brain" it has). And energy/power is at an absolute premium on a human powered vehicle, so it needs to be conserved at nearly all costs. The manufacturers and MBA may tell you otherwise, but the laws of physics dictate that it takes energy to compress that spring and damper up and down and there's no way around that. Sometimes the energy will come from the bumps and roots from coasting downhill, and sometimes it will come from your legs. And the power required to hump that additional pound, or two, or three up large inclines (over and over and over again) will come from the rider too. That's not to say FS doesn't have it's place for some freeriders and certainly for downhill, but for the rest of us...no thanks!

So don't sweat what MBA says. And even when you do see top XC-racers on FS, it may very well be because they were forced into riding a FS to help promote the bike company's most expensive products, and not because they're the best choice for the job.

Ok. I have a beef with the MBA....Anyone else feel the same?

No relation

Again with the trust fund thing?

Anyone else feel the same?
    I wish I had a trust fund. I sure as hell wouldn't be working right now, and therefore wouldn't be posting this. I probably wouldn't have heard of MTBR dot com.

Anyway. I gave up on MBA in about 1994. There was a time, living in Scotland, when MBA was a valued resource to me, it was better than the UK magazines of the time, and had a certain cache because it was from the 'home' of the sport. That time is long gone. I occasionally pick up a copy and browse it in a store, but haven't seen fit to buy one for years.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

mtbr member

that's also about the time I cancelled my subscription to that mag. Zap was part of it, and in part, it was one of the things that made it suck. Me, DR all the way baby. MBA is good for looking at very old pictures of when Giove was starting out, and Furtado was the queen. Now, I just ride. Spare me the technobabble. I just ride.

Single Speed Cyclist
    Jan 2004

Keep riding that $600 hardtail

When she finally wears out, get yourself a singleator and strip all of the shifting related devices off of the bike. You will be much happier. The best part is not feeling like your bike is ever obsolete. It is how most of us started single speeding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Average MBA Review...

If you spend over $2,000 on a bike, then we like you, because you are serious about mountain biking...

...and the freakishly steep head angle keeps you very unstable when you need stability the most, but it has Gary Fisher's name on it, so it easily makes our top ten list.

Bikes not Bombs.....

Hope Wait a minute now.....

[QUOTE= but it has Gary Fisher's name on it, so it easily makes our top ten list.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Gary Fisher invent MBA ????????

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

Old school BMXer
    MBA is still around? I've heard of it through these boards, but I don't see it anymore (sub ran out a long, long time ago) on the newsstands. Their credibility was always questionable.

Actually, there are very few bicycle mags worth reading. I read through both Flow and 26 in about 20 minutes. No substance that interested me. And it's not just because they don't have SS stuff, I'm into all aspects of bicycling.

Nomad
    Mmmmm... if I recall, MBA started going downhill after Zap left.

Me thinks MBA got too caught up in the technology end of bikes and lost out on the riding aspect. It's funny to read about how great a bike (or product) is, and then the next year they write how much they really didn't like it. They do that a lot.

I think they're really all a bunch of techie-queers who don't have any real riding skills and need all of the help they can get.

And they're ass-kissers.
    Convince me

KRN
    mtbr member

wait there's more...

It's not just MBA telling me that my bike suck's....I (we) work hard for our money, & most of the people I know here which isnt alot can't even afford a bike( not that they ride) I have no people to ride with because I havent met anyone I'm still new to S.C (yeah I live in S.C dont knock it there are more places to ride then you think plus were close to Ashville,NC ) oh yeah! Anyways I'm not sure what bugs me more is that thier calling HT crap or that U have to spend $1,500 on a good bike. Have they became a slave to the corp world or am I being silly? Mtbr riders have always been close like surfer's (which I've done) but always came back to Mtbr because I love it why cant someone help support SS riders & HT's??? Are we just getting to old & let everyone else pass us by? I too thought thier mag was great .....back when Tomac & juli were king & queen. Maybe...maybe the sport we love is going the way of everything else???? God I sure hope not.I do want a FS bike one day but lets not forget the bike's that brought us this far & will continue to ride us into the furture!

President, CEO of Earth
    I don' t think the main problem with MBA is that they endorse new technology, or that they don't ride, or that they hate hardtails. The problem is that they write rediculous reviews that are misleading and irrelivant to most riders. They will call a bike heavy on one page and then call a bike with the same weight a light crosscountry racer two pages later! They (as someone else said) talk trash about last year's bike that they gave a rave review. They are the mouthpiece of the big bike companies.

People are too easily fooled into thinking MBA is on the side of the consumer, but they only want you to buy the 2005 model. They want you to think that even though they said it was great last year, the 2004 is clearly a pig compared to the 2005. Adding a drop shadow to the logo, changing to this year's hotest new taiwanese-made cranks, or moving a pivot 1/32" for the new model year changes the benchmark for bike performance. You only think you like the bike you bought in 2003 because you haven't ridden the 2005! Don't you know they are getting different brand logos put on the stem and bars?

Bullshit.

Clearly the only reason to buy a new bike is because, if you don't, the terrorist will have won.

Lets all rank MBA. I give it 0/5 hot chillis.

Old school BMXer
    [QUOTE=JerseyDevil]Mmmmm... if I recall, MBA started going downhill after Zap left.

Zap was with another crappy magazine, not MBA - it was either BIKE or Mountain Bike...ah hell, they're all crap. The one Zap was with has been eliminated (or morphed with another mag).

blame me for missed rides

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    Clearly the only reason to buy a new bike is because, if you don't, the terrorist will have won.
    good one!

KRN
    mtbr member

um...

To the person who said I can stick my Redline up my ass...just remember one thing if ut wasnt for companies like Redline.Schwinn,Mongoose,Diamond back you might not have that $2000 bike you sucked cock for...just because your lazy & you belive what people tell you isn't my fault.not my proplem you forgot what riding is all about now go & get in your SUV & waste some some gas & not matter what the voices in your head tell you no your not cool!

No relation

In fact, Zap was at MBA for a few years

[QUOTE=Blaster1200]
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Mmmmm... if I recall, MBA started going downhill after Zap left.

Zap was with another crappy magazine, not MBA - it was either BIKE or Mountain Bike...ah hell, they're all crap. The one Zap was with has been eliminated (or morphed with another mag).
    Then he left and went to Mountain Bike, which morphed into Bicycling, and he morphed into a job at Trek. And Mountain Bike used to be called Mountain Bike For The Adventure, or some such unwieldy title.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Why do you feel the need to gain our approval of your displeasure of a magazine full of unsubstantiated opinions?
    If you don't like the magazine, don't buy it. There are plenty of good alternatives out there.
    Grab a clue and hold on tight.
    this space left intentionally blank