Retro Grouch

No good Dotec follow-up..

This is going to be a little long so pour yourself a cold one, sit back and relax. In my last post I showed the photo of my new Dotec 175mm crank set. At the time I mentioned it seemed fairly stiff, but needed some more field testing. I discovered that the Dotecs are a copy of the Shimano, pre-Hollowtech XT cranks. The cranks look good and are highly polished. However, when it comes down to it, I'm reminded of an old "Firesign Theater" line, "It's crap; but it's really good crap". I also came to the conclusion it is easier for me to recognize the absence of flex than its existence. After putting about 10 hours on the Dotec cranks, something was telling me they were lacking in some manner but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Now, who here has a younger sibling? I have several. Since I'm the oldest I have never been the recipient of hand me downs, but Charlie, my younger brother by three years has. I have also attempted to interest my brother in bike riding over the years and have passed down several bikes. The latest was an old GT MTB I bought on Ebay about 7-8 years ago. I also passed down my 91 Rockhopper years ago, which he still has and uses as his "off road" bike. The GT is to be a commute bike so he added some panniers and road tires. When I put the bike together for him, it ended up with a set of 175mm Deore Hollowtech Octalink cranks. These cranks somehow seemed much better suited for my SS than my newly acquired Dotecs.

Now Charlie knows very little about bikes, but he knows me very well. So when I called him and asked if I could "upgrade" his cranks with a new shinny set, there was a short pause on the telephone and he said, "Just promise me they won't fall off or break any time soon". No problem I said, they were made for road riding. I did the switch the other day and have since field-tested the Deores on several rides. One thing I noticed right away is the Dotec cranks only engage about 3/8" of the square taper (this I take as a bad thing). Two other things; first I said I am better suited at noticing the absence of flexing than stiffness. The Dotecs definitely flexed more than the Deores; and second, these Deores have to be one of the most underrated cranks I have ever used; they can easily stand toe to toe with my old Race Face Turbines.

So, unless you have a brother with used set of Deore/Octolink cranks I would not recommend the Dotec cranks. Anyway, back to my field-testing; isn't life grand!!

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 05-21-2005 at 08:19 PM.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I've been riding on Deores since my first SS was born, they're cheap, not so heavy and strong.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    One thing I noticed right away is the Dotec cranks only engage about 3/8" of the square taper (this I take as a bad thing).
    Sounds like you're using a ISO taper crank with a JIS taper spindle. It'll work but isn't ideal.

Retro Grouch

I did not know this..

Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Sounds like you're using a ISO taper crank with a JIS taper spindle. It'll work but isn't ideal.
    Did a Google search and found some info on the Sheldon Brown site (imagine that ). I learned something new; thank you...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#square

1G1G, Brad

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    I would doubt that the Dotek crank was made to an ISO taper. At the time those cranks were being made (Dotek's been outta business about 5 years), it was all about being compatible with Shimano - bottom bracket companies made Shimano compatible square tapers and crank companies made cranks to fit that. The fact that the Dotek doesn't "fit" all the way on the axle, is probably just more of a ... well, let's just say that they aren't made to the same tolerances as a Shimano crank.