Don't know what single speed to buy!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Don't know what single speed to buy!

I am really interested in buying a singlespeed, but the really only nice park i can ride every day has a lot of uphill. Ive read that single speed is not the best for this situation. I figure that if it doesn't work out i can atleast have a good reliable commuter bike.

i am 200 pounds and 6'1" and really ride for the fun of the trail then anything else

Im interested in the Bianchi Lewis but really have no clue what i should buy.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    If you have very hilly trails, you just need to adjust your gearing accordingly... you could try first by sticking to one gear during a ride on you current bike... I know this is not the "complete SS experience", but it could at least give you an idea of what gear you can manage... you will be surprised how hard you can actually push yourself....

I haven't ridden a Lewis, but from the spec and pics on Bianchi's website... it looks like an awesome ride...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Thank you

Thanks, I will try that. I have tried that before, resulting in only going up half way but feeling like I was going to die in my legs. The wierd thing is that i liked the pain of only riding up halfway up a mountain

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy1725
    Thanks, I will try that. I have tried that before, resulting in only going up half way but feeling like I was going to die in my legs. The wierd thing is that i liked the pain of only riding up halfway up a mountain
    That's a pain you learn to love over time...

By the way.. welcome to mtbr!!

mtbr member
    I am really interested in buying a singlespeed, but the really only nice park i can ride every day has a lot of uphill. Ive read that single speed is not the best for this situation. I figure that if it doesn't work out i can atleast have a good reliable commuter bike.

i am 200 pounds and 6'1" and really ride for the fun of the trail then anything else

Im interested in the Bianchi Lewis but really have no clue what i should buy.
    jimmy1725, Well SS are actually BEST for uphill...provided you run the right gear. At your hight you should look at a Bianchi Rita, the steel will feel less rigid than the lewis (alum) and at your height I'd go with a 29er! There are many great options close to the Bianchi in a 29er some are;
    Niner Bikes
    Haro Mary
    Redline Mono Cog
    On One Inbred
    Soma
    Kona Unit 2-9
    Really there are a lot of great bikes and they are all around the price of the Lewis. If you want 26" wheels a lot of these bikes come in a 26 or 29 version. I started SS with a Bianchi SASS...that bike has always had a gentle place in my heart and the reason for all my customs, be carefull...Once you go single you stay single!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

SS Chimp
    jimmy1725...I am 6' 3" and roll and 26'er for what it is worth. If you can get your hands on both a 26 and 29 and ride them for a few rides each you will have a good feel for what you like and don't like about the wheel size. You could always do a cheap convert on an existing 26" frame and ride that for awhile to get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    ...that bike has always had a gentle place in my heart...
    You got me all broke up over here miSSionary...
    all single...all the time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 32x18
    You got me all broke up over here miSSionary...
    Why buddy, I can have a "gentle place" ?? I can fit the big wheels on your new kiddy-wheeled frame ...Wanna play??
    jimmy1725..Oh I hate to say it, um, REALLY HATE to say it ...um, cough/grown/CRY ...Listen to 32X18...It is hard to admit but I need the big wheels to keep near 32X18 on his easy days (unfortunately I am serious here ), he knows his stuff!!...that said take 32X18's advise, it is GREAT advise...then GO GET A 29er...then tell 32X18 how AMAZING the 29er ride was and how you're selling all the 26" stuff!! Either way, enjoy the hunt, if you're asking about SS the brain is already working on bringing you to the dark side!
    Last edited by miSSionary; 01-31-2007 at 08:56 AM.
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Expert Pushing SSer
    Dear Jimmy,

Please turn your hymnal to page 328. Now, skip steps 1-3 and jump right into the custom realm. This will save you a lot of time and money. Trust me. As for the wheel format, that is entirely up to you.....but at 5-11, I have sipped the 29er acid laced Kool-Aid, or whatever they call it....unfortunately, I like it. I didn't want to like it, my bike project list in MS Excel did not want me to add another sheet, and I am sure my wife did not want to hear about another project.

Cheers!
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Re: gearing

I'm 6.0" and 195lbs so we're similar size, if that means anything.

I started with 32:16 because it was a general suggestion and you have to start somewhere. At first it was too hard for many a hill, but after 1 month I cleaned some stuff. After 2 months I cleaned some more. After 3 months I didn't even notice the hills. That said, I'm now running a 32:18 just so I can go further on one tank.

My point? If you use the 'pick a gear on your geared bike' method to choose your initial gear you may outgrow it relatively quickly once you ride that gear all the time. You may not. Just my 0.02.

As for bike selection, you can get something really nice for what the Lewis costs (though the Lewis itself is very nice). miSSionary posted some great ideas; don't forget the IRO Mia
    http://irocycle.com/iro/index.php?ma...&products_id=5

which is a fun, cheap steel frame (26").

Bear

Mary looks good....

....but like most women I haven't ridden her yet! Picked up my Haro Mary SS last Friday and now we have single digit high temperatures forecast. From the price/spec/looks I'd definitely say go visit your local Haro dealer and check out the Mary.

Bear

rip the line
    Jun 2006

Gary fisher rig

For the money, the GF rig is the best single speed 29er. Reba fork and all. Most shops will sell you one for $999. Good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    At your hight you should look at a Bianchi Rita, the steel will feel less rigid than the lewis (alum)
    RITA is actually aluminum too.

Retro Grouch

Xxix..

Everyone keeps forgetting the Raleigh since it's so new. Cromo frame, rigid fork, disc brakes, 29" @$750.00.

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...=11&itemid=341

A great newbie bike; buy one if you can find one.

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Thanks for all the advice

I have read all and thank you for your advice I am now looking at the Bianchi MUSS as a alternative to the Lewis.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Suspension adjusted?

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Everyone keeps forgetting the Raleigh since it's so new. Cromo frame, rigid fork, disc brakes, 29" @$750.00.

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...=11&itemid=341

A great newbie bike; buy one if you can find one.

1G1G, Brad
    As far as I can tell the Raleigh isn't suspension adjusted so if you wanted to swap the fork out for a suspension fork you are SOL or riding a chopper.

boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by dannybob
    It may be the prettiest off the rack SS out there too. I can't believe I haven't bought one of those yet.
    Calvin

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hi there, I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs. with a 32" inseam. I have a Large 19" Redline Monocog I am selling soon as I have one too many bikes with a third one on the way. With its understated looks, cromo steel frame construction and BMX-like geometry, it's an ideal candidate for a first time singlespeeder. Pictured in current tune (only stock parts are the frame, fork and collar):

Contact me if you're interested. I am located in the San Francisco East Bay Area of Northern California.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannybob
    Right you are, sorry for the bad post!

Expert Pushing SSer
    I have read all and thank you for your advice I am now looking at the Bianchi MUSS as a alternative to the Lewis.
    [cough]custom[cough]

Seriously, all of the bikes mentioned are great. They will get your feet wet, allow you time to figure out the next step....whether that be upgradeitis, which there are known time release cures for, or whether you will contract the more potentially lethal buildnsellitis.

Cheers!
    Tuff Schist

Members who have read this thread: 0