Don't forget your chainbreaker, etc.!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Don't forget your chainbreaker, etc.!

Broke my first chain today. It happened on the road, on about a 12% climb, on the way to 'the goods'. Had my chainbreaker, and extra links. But in the process, my half link, which I didn't have extras of, broke too. Don't ask, but it did. I luckily was able to lengthen the chain and complete my ride, although for sure I thought the chain was gonna leave the ring during bouncy sections. Thanks to the Disco the chain-cog connection was all good. Anyways just wanted to remind you to take chain tools and spare connectors, esp. those running the 'magic' ratio. Also this little episode convinced me that I did good by ordering the tensioner.

Happy trails

mtbr member

Learned the hard way...

Quote Originally Posted by hrcon
    . Anyways just wanted to remind you to take chain tools and spare connectors, esp. those running the 'magic' ratio. Also this little episode convinced me that I did good by ordering the tensioner.

Happy trails
    Last time I broke a chain was on a Wed. evening ride last summer. At first I wasn't too concerned. I had my chain-tool I'd splice it back together and be back on the trail in a jiffy, right?

Wrong! I had a chain tool all right, but rooting around in my camelbak produced no extra links and there wasn't enough adjustment left in the dropout to make up the difference. I was about a 1/2" short.

Seeing no alternative, other than walking back, I figured I'd attempt a McGyver fix, and spliced the chain together with the keyring from my car-keys. Surprisingly enough, it got me almost all the way back to the car. Fortunately all the steep climbing was done with, so all that was left of the ride was about 5 mi. of slightly downhill or flat, with a couple gentle rollers thrown in. The last bit after it finally came apart again was flat, followed by pavement, so I just sorta "skated" the last mile or so Flintstones-style.

I now have spare links in my camelbak. .

-Trevor
    Last edited by TrevorInSoCal; 10-31-2005 at 10:45 PM. Reason: rewording

Members who have read this thread: 0