Don't click on this- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Don't click on this

Please don't feel this troll!

Why everything you think about singlespeed is wrong - BikeRadar

You clicked it, didn't you?

Cycologist
    yep
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    It's simple, he doesn't get it. When anyone ends a rant with "I'm right", it's about the time that I say something along the lines of: "sure, for you..." I'm willing to bet he picked a wheelsize and is still a dick about it. Which is fine, to each their own, but I don't agree with his opinion and I don't have to either. SS is about what you, the rider, can do and a bit less about what the bike enables you to do. Obviously, you are still riding a bike that enables you to roll instead of run and usually at a faster pace too. Of course, the technology exists so none of us ever have to even consider riding a SS. Duh, so what? SS puts a smile on my face because of the memories of my youth, because of the feeling I get when I do clear that hill, because it just does... and it's ok that you have feel differently about it Steve. So don't own a SS and don't convert to SS Mr Williams. I don't care if you do, so there. I don't care that you can pass me on the hill or the flat or the downhill. I don't care that I'm in the wrong gear for the hill and the flat and the downhill. However, I do know that it's the right gear for me in all those situations given my only option is to peddle harder.

Certainly, we all have those things that other people do that confound or annoy us, but there is no way I would put it to paper because it is simply and solely my view on the matter. Is this a grab out there for like minded people to come visit him in the boonies? Perhaps they should drive out there instead of bike, ya' know? The technology exists, so why would anyone pedal when you can just put your foot down and eat a doughnut on the way there?

I have nothing against doughnuts, they're tasty.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Amusing article.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    It sounds like the author has never actually ridden one. He's just decided it's wrong.

mtbr member
    In a few years, the same attitude is going to say "what, you still ride a bicycle outdoors? Why not just download the app and experience it through your neural implants? Its the same experience but without the bugs, sweat, bruises, and effort!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Was anyone else wondering how low of a gear that first bike (the one that the rider burst all over) had? It looks like it has a 22t or maybe bigger cog on it!! Maybe its just the angle of the dangle...

BTW Steve Williams needs to ride a single speed for a while as opposed to trying to catch up with one, I bet he would change his mind...

mtbr member
    This is as far as I needed to read.

"The problem here is, if you review a singlespeed as a mountain bike, it should get a terrible score – no matter how well it’s built. That’s because it’s a terrible mountain bike due to having a 3mph operational window on purpose."

Downcountry AF
    I don't get it. They found the least qualified person on earth to write an article about how terrible SS's are, and seemingly addressed it to SSers. huh?

I've drawn many conclusions from riding SS, none of which were proven wrong in that LAME article.

SS's are terrible bikes? uh, isn't it all about what you enjoy not the capability, price, complexity, or setup of your ride?

Who is this article written for? Why do you care what i ride? I'm not asking you to ride it. And who are you to say what i should or shouldn't ride? It doesn't even make sense, is it's only purpose to try and turn people off from riding SS?

seriously, i don't understand who on their staff gave the green light to publish that article or why? totally lame.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_ss View Post
    Amusing article.
    traitor

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    In a few years, the same attitude is going to say "what, you still ride a bicycle outdoors? Why not just download the app and experience it through your neural implants? Its the same experience but without the bugs, sweat, bruises, and effort!"
    post of the week
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

western NC
    That article reeks of someone who got their ass kicked Sunday afternoon by somebody on a SS.

Also, apparently I'm not supposed to have suspension, have a 3mph operational window, exploding knee caps, and not be having fun. Shit, I think I built my bike wrong.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I don't get it. They found the least qualified person on earth to write an article about how terrible SS's are, and seemingly addressed it to SSers. huh?

I've drawn many conclusions from riding SS, none of which were proven wrong in that LAME article.

SS's are terrible bikes? uh, isn't it all about what you enjoy not the capability, price, complexity, or setup of your ride?

Who is this article written for? Why do you care what i ride? I'm not asking you to ride it. And who are you to say what i should or shouldn't ride? It doesn't even make sense, is it's only purpose to try and turn people off from riding SS?

seriously, i don't understand who on their staff gave the green light to publish that article or why? totally lame.
    I was wondering when you'd show up!

I imagine the guy had to write something, had a deadline, had to come up with something, what can I write about? Hey, I know, I don't understand single speeds, I've never ridden one, they just don't make sense, why would you want to ride without gears? Gotta write something, I'll write about that.

Whatever happened to the ASS column on Bicycling?

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    This is as far as I needed to read.

"The problem here is, if you review a singlespeed as a mountain bike, it should get a terrible score – no matter how well it’s built. That’s because it’s a terrible mountain bike due to having a 3mph operational window on purpose."
    It must be completely flat where he rides. SS are faster uphill for most riders since they can't sit and spin. I never really thought about it until someone pointed it out, but more time is spent going uphill than down in an XC race so being a fast climber is a big benefit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I clicked and read it. While he may seem to be like the FNG, his history goes back too far to fit that label. I don't find any of his points disagreeable--I actually found it humorous. He seems to use a writing style that's part realist and part sardonic.

What's also amusing is that despite him predicting the meltdown of singlespeeders in comments, you guys couldn't help but make it true.

I recognized the troll, as being clearly intentional, after the picture about the bored designers and colors and my grin only grew from there. Quite the sensitive bunch despite the reputation of being hardcore.

Glory and honor works strangely in this age. Decorated military vets come home and get minimal recognition, just mere empty words for gratitude. They gave up their freedom and sleep schedule, carried out questionably stupid plans, and got to be someone's nameless hero. It seems like SS riders are treated the same way, about how impressed others are with them. Heroes for riding the same challenging stuff with minimal mechanical advantage, yet the glory is short lived, only living as a hero in their own mind, SS'ers acknowledging each other since no one else is. The rough life... I personally take it a step further and ride what I do on my FS about as fast with my commuter SS setup, slick tire, high gearing, terribly slick grips, and all...

mtbr member
    Who cares what a chicken-legged fashionista thinks?

It takes the same amount of work to move your body up a steep hill with gears as with one speed. It just depends on what you have trained your legs to do.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    his other articles are full of snark and suck as well...He seems to simply be a bitter arse, or he just doesn't get laid.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    1spd1way....for way too long and not long enough.

I don't care what a derailersexual says or writes.

I just wanna ride my 1x1.

eri
    mtbr member
    I think it had some funny bits and was written to promote ss. Thanks for sharing.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post

It takes the same amount of work to move your body up a steep hill with gears as with one speed.
    Great point!

And since a SS is lighter, he's the one being less efficient.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm here to reaffirm my choices are the right ones by conferring with those who made the same choices as I.

Just like the author of that piece shouldn't care what someone else rides or why, we shouldn't care what he thinks or why. I read it so I could laugh at one of the vocal unwashed heathens who haven't seen the light. His whole premise dissolves when you consider that you can buy a bike that has an engine on it. As far as 2-wheeled transport advances go, the derailleur is rather underwhelming compared to the internal combustion engine.

mtbr member
    I thought it was mostly tongue in cheek. Coming from a ss curious person who wants to like them, has tried to like them and has a ton of respect for the maniacs who bust out insanely hard rides on them I'd say the article was written to reaffirm conclusions that idiots like me have come to.

Don't hate me just because I'm different
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Main problem with the article was I think he was trying to be humorous but failed due to it being poorly written. Reminded me of a guy I used to work with that was always trying to crack sarcastic but he didn't have a firm grasp of the concept so he just sounded like an ass.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Main problem with the article was I think he was trying to be humorous but failed due to it being poorly written. Reminded me of a guy I used to work with that was always trying to crack sarcastic but he didn't have a firm grasp of the concept so he just sounded like an ass.
    I thought that was part of the charm. It arnt chekhov but the article made me smile. The whole thing is pro-ss: "that's not mud, the rider burst".

How about all you critics step up and do better? Write a pathetic negative review of a singlespeed, and while you're at it dis singlespeeds in general.

Because a face forward pro ss article would be a stupid shame. You go all hunter Thomson it's a shark jump. You gotta pointlessly ***** and moan while actually pointing out the sweet reasons you think ss is fun.

And you gotta include pics of sweet rides covered in mud, bonus if the bikes are being ridden (or cra$hing.)
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

Ambassador of Chub
    Just when you think the quality of writing on BR couldn't get any worse....
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was entertained. 👍

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I highly doubt the article was written to be taken literally.

The part about the ss'ers busted kneecaps in his garden made me lol.

Nobody here can look at what we do and honestly admit it's a tiny bit masochistic and crazy?

I'm always trying to push singlespeed riding as much as I can, but mostly because it's fun and not because it's ideal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    ...Nobody here can look at what we do and honestly admit it's a tiny bit masochistic and crazy? ...
    It doesn't have to be masochistic though.

If it's a long climb I get off and walk when it's down to walking speeds. I get to enjoy the views that way.

The only times I'll stay on the bike is if it's a deliberate bit of exercise, eg rather than go to the gym and do squats, I go grunting and gerning up a hill - and that's much more fun than a gym so it probably doesn't qualify as masochistic.

Crazy? Nah. That's those folk who have bought into the whole gears thing and spent more on their wear out quick drivetrain than I have on my bike.

Category Winner
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

This place needs an enema
    I didn't click it. Didn't read it.

I *did* read the first few responses in this thread, which sort of saddened me. I'm *glad* singlespeeding's torch is fading for the masses. They never really got it anyway.

We don't need to be marketed to, or accepted, or "understood" to ride our bikes, nor enjoy doing it.

Our local trails are being dumbed down (sanitized, and grades flattened) at a remarkable rate. With each passing day my SS becomes the most obvious choice of bike.

You wouldn't know it by the hordes of 6" travel bikes out there mowing down buff trails. Let 'em. Ride what works for you.

Robtre
    10 years on a singlespeed, I am currently building a geared bike. Sad I know, but my knees hurt and I am overweight. My hope is I ride gears long enough to drop 35 lbs, get my legs and lungs back, and drop the derrrrprailiuer, hopfully over summer.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey Robtre, I have some sad news for you - your knees will hurt worse on that geared bike. And so will your butt from sitting all the time. Have you considered lower gearing for your single speed? Or walking up hills until you can ride them? I've found that the best training for riding a single speed bike is to ride a single speed bike. But any excuse to build another bike is good excuse. I just wish I had the money so I could build up another dozen or so.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    .... derrrrprailiuer.....
    Derrp-arailleur....

Jesus, I laughed way too hard at that. I'm stealing this. My geared friends are gonna hate me when this is the only way I refer to that dangly, shifty-bit from now on.

Rep'd.

Edit: I don't care if it's dead. I've been asked why I hung $1000 worth of carbon parts on a $500 steel frame, and still couldn't buy a derailleur and shifter. I just shrug and say "I guess I just like it this way".
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Hey Robtre, I have some sad news for you - your knees will hurt worse on that geared bike. And so will your butt from sitting all the time.

Do tell.....
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Do tell.....
    My daughters physio encouraged her to keep singlespeeding when she was having trouble with her knees when dancing and figure skating. He reckoned it would strengthen the supporting structures.

mtbr member
    I was walking past a tall wooden fence the other day, you know the kind you see outside a building site. As I walked along beside it I heard chanting coming from behind the fence further up... they were chanting numbers, or rather just one number.
    "Thirteen, thirteen, thirteen, thirteen, ..." they excitedly chanted. It sounded like a small crowd, young and old; men, women and children. All of them saying the same number over and over.
    As I approached I saw a small hole in the fence just big enough to look through. The hole was right where the sound appeared to be originating from.
    So, with the crowd continuing to chant "... thirteen, thirteen, thirteen, thirteen" and it seeming to become more intense as I leaned down to place my eye at the hole and work out WTF was happening in there.
    Just as I put my eye to the hole a small finger like that of a child poked me in the eye and the crowd stared cheered loudly and started chanting again..
    "Fourteen, fourteen, fourteen..."

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Hey Robtre, I have some sad news for you - your knees will hurt worse on that geared bike. And so will your butt from sitting all the time. Have you considered lower gearing for your single speed? Or walking up hills until you can ride them? I've found that the best training for riding a single speed bike is to ride a single speed bike. But any excuse to build another bike is good excuse. I just wish I had the money so I could build up another dozen or so.
    While I agree with you, my fitness has gone to s*it and I need the crutch. I tried riding my SS two weeks ago on a trail I was riding 3-4 times a month and failed. I walked almost every uphill. Also injured my hip, which is fine now but my leg strength is bad.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    If you have cheating gears, you will frequently use them, unless you set strict rules for yourself regarding their use. Frankly, you work harder walking up the hill, than you do spinning up. Hoofing it uphill more thoroughly works the supporting muscles than SSing up too.

Personally, I set these rules for myself:

- 32x11 for flat roads and descents
    - Know which gear matches my SS's ratio. I run 37-19 on my 29er, so I know that riding in anything bigger than the 4th cog is cheating and had better be faster somehow, else I shouldn't use it.
    - Trying to implement a "don't downshift for climbs" rule, but trying to figure out the details, so I can actually successfully stick to it.

Basically, the reason behind the rules is that if I'm not riding my geared bike faster than my SS, I'd be better off on my SS. "Excessive resting time" can really drag down my average speed.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Click bait articles. I want the time I spent reading that back.

mtbr member
    My daughters physio encouraged her to keep singlespeeding when she was having trouble with her knees when dancing and figure skating. He reckoned it would strengthen the supporting structures.
    Cycling in general is good for just about everything. Most people will do less joint damage by gearing down a bit on steep climbs but I know you ss'ers are a bit.....different. I don't possess the "get off and walk" gene.

And why do all you bad@ss ss'ers continue to insist that gears are cheating, or a crutch? For some of us (actually lots) they are an upgrade! Maybe give up your tires, chain, and seat and we'll talk. Even then wheels are pretty much the ultimate cheat anyway. Hypocrites
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Cycling in general is good for just about everything. Most people will do less joint damage by gearing down a bit on steep climbs but I know you ss'ers are a bit.....different. I don't possess the "get off and walk" gene.

And why do all you bad@ss ss'ers continue to insist that gears are cheating, or a crutch? For some of us (actually lots) they are an upgrade! Maybe give up your tires, chain, and seat and we'll talk. Even then wheels are pretty much the ultimate cheat anyway. Hypocrites
    Cycling's merely low impact cardio that primarily works the quads. Quads contract to straighten out the leg. This helps with climbing stairs, or I guess hovering your posterior over the toilet without touching the seat.

There's no resistance to straightening out the legs in most other activities. At least no repeated low-burst straightening of the legs. Maybe running/hiking uphill, or jumping rope (without using the running-in-place technique)... jumping in basketball is a low frequency high burst move, not something that cycling quads will help with, unless you're Larry Bird and doing some 3-point shootout and need to get repeated back-to-back jumps in, or you have track-racing quads.

Basically, what I'm saying is, the part I bolded in your quote is BS. It's also not reliable for getting decent cardio, unless you use a HRM, or force yourself to work hard against resistance. This is because it's just too easy to rest, and rest for too long. What I will admit is that it's fun, and is practical with how far it can take you--I don't see as many people smiling and having a good time while running. I personally use the other sports/activities/disciplines to cross-train, to balance out what my cycling doesn't work.

Cycologist
    Geez, am I the only one that rides geared bikes and a singlespeed? Sometimes I have to remind myself I have gears and should use them. I'm still pretty much a masher rather than a spinner though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zooey View Post
    Basically, what I'm saying is, the part I bolded in your quote is BS.

You're taking that bolded part too literally, I was referring to general well being. Cycling can heal the mind and body.

Not a reliable way to get a decent cardio workout? That's funny.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    You're taking that bolded part too literally, I was referring to general well being. Cycling can heal the mind and body.

Not a reliable way to get a decent cardio workout? That's funny.
    That's funny, I find what you've written funny too. I shouldn't take that too literally too either, eh? Got a cold or stomach-ache, bike it off? Got a headache, bike it off? Got some mental syndrome or auto-immune disease, bike it off?

Other cardio options get your heart working harder on average, especially running.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Geez, am I the only one that rides geared bikes and a singlespeed? Sometimes I have to remind myself I have gears and should use them. I'm still pretty much a masher rather than a spinner though.
    Single speed is not a religion but I like to ride my bike, not operate it.

I don't want to hear it either.

My observation is that our legs adapt to do what has to be done.

If you are a singlespeeder, then that's to produce power over a wide range of cadences, and if you're a gearie, then the power get concentrated over a narrow range of cadences which you try to maintain by using your gears and falls off rapidly out of that range.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I'll take the direct feel and silence of my single speed bikes and their instant reactions to inputs in preference to the clattering and soggy feel and maintenance of derailleurs.

But then I'm riding for pleasure, not to optimise my cardio, muscle growth, or other health reasons, although those are welcome side effects.

I do suspect a singlespeeder is fitter when it comes to core strength than a geared rider, but I may be wrong there.

BTW this whole knee thing. If you are the guy who goes to the gym and starts squatting huge weights without building up to it, you're probably the sort of person who will have trouble with your knees on a singlespeed.

Downcountry AF
    Personally, I set these rules for myself:
    you set rules for your riding? how about rule #1: have fun, enjoy yourself, and don't be a D*ck.

"Excessive resting time" can really drag down my average speed.
    who cares what your average speed is? if your goal is maximum fitness or something, time and elevation are more useful metrics than average speed.

Even then wheels are pretty much the ultimate cheat anyway. Hypocrites
    Fine! Just to prove I'm super hard core, i'm switching to square wheels.

Basically, what I'm saying is, the part I bolded in your quote is BS. It's also not reliable for getting decent cardio, unless you use a HRM, or force yourself to work hard against resistance.
    Waa? cycling is an excellent cardio workout. Using a HRM won't change the level of your workout unless you push yourself harder, which you don't need a HRM to do. This resistance you speak of, do hills count? Because that's the only place I ride my MTB.

If you after a higher intensity workout, you can push yourself harder. Yes, running is a good way to get a high intensity workout in a shorter amount of time, and it's different muscles, but I can ride a lot longer/farther than i can run. Which I like.

I think what JB was saying with the healthy activity thing was right on. It's good for your mind, and good for your body. I didn't take what he said as though he meant it would cure diseases.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Riding a bike cured my HIV.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post

Waa? cycling is an excellent cardio workout. Using a HRM won't change the level of your workout unless you push yourself harder, which you don't need a HRM to do. This resistance you speak of, do hills count? Because that's the only place I ride my MTB.

If you after a higher intensity workout, you can push yourself harder. Yes, running is a good way to get a high intensity workout in a shorter amount of time, and it's different muscles, but I can ride a lot longer/farther than i can run. Which I like.

I think what JB was saying with the healthy activity thing was right on. It's good for your mind, and good for your body. I didn't take what he said as though he meant it would cure diseases.
    Agreed. In most exercises you can take it easy and not get such a great workout. Just push yourself harder on the bike. Where I ride, mountain biking is more like intervals, intense climb followed by a rest; repeat over and over. Along with this on a ride, I usually have times when I'm charging and times when I'm more just riding along, and I usually have a big push toward the end. I was riding with a group yesterday and noticed that I pushed it more on the flats and slight declines/climbs than most of the others. I also usually have somewhat limited time so I mash more than I spin to maximize the workout in the time I have. And I am also a runner so that helps with the still pushing it on the recovery areas. A lot of mt bikers (myself included) also ride road where you are constantly pedaling as that helps on the mt bike as you're used to staying in motion. On some of my local trails, there are pretty flat beginner trails and I like to take a few laps on them after my climbing legs are toast, just to get in the pedal rotations.

Cycling may not cure diseases but more and more evidence shows that exercise will help prevent diseases. The US really needs to switch to prevention rather than trying to cure after the fact. And it actually might help cure diseases, once of the main things they tell you if you're heading toward diabetes: get more exercise. I was also reading that research showed people perform better at work after exercising, so it is good for the mind as well (I think we all know that).

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    My observation is that our legs adapt to do what has to be done.
    Knees do not adapt. That is why knee replacements are such a hot item.

BTW this whole knee thing. If you are the guy who goes to the gym and starts squatting huge weights without building up to it, you're probably the sort of person who will have trouble with your knees on a singlespeed.
    How does one "build up to it" on SS? Move to Florida?

An even more interesting question is "What are you building up?"
    Knees are not muscles. They cannot get 'stronger'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Knees do not adapt. That is why knee replacements are such a hot item.

How does one "build up to it" on SS? Move to Florida?

An even more interesting question is "What are you building up?"
    Knees are not muscles. They cannot get 'stronger'.
    OK I'm not a knee doctor, but I do know they are not muscles.

Mechanically knees don't even look like good hinges, so they are totally depending on their supporting structures which adapt to the use they are given.

If you saying are the body does not adapt to the stresses and strains put on it I'm sure weight lifters and athletes would welcome your advice (if you can provide evidence).

And how do you build up to SS?

Simple, if you're an unfit obese dimwit, take the advice that every long term single speed rider will give you.

Get off and walk when it gets hard - which is walking pace anyway.

If you're not one of them, and new to single speed, it's the same advice.

Single speed is only 'special' in the first world. Most of the 3rd world rides single speed, often with huge loads, and yet there has been no epidemic of knee problems in the last 120 years of bike use there.

So have you got any evidence of knee replacement being an issue for long term single speeders?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    While I agree with you, my fitness has gone to s*it and I need the crutch. I tried riding my SS two weeks ago on a trail I was riding 3-4 times a month and failed. I walked almost every uphill. Also injured my hip, which is fine now but my leg strength is bad.
    Gear your single speed down just enough that you're clearing all but one or two hills.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Gear your single speed down just enough that you're clearing all but one or two hills.
    agreed, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm doing this all wrong. I have SS, 1x11, 3x10, 2x10, 2x9, and 1x3 drivetrains. one FS, one HT and 5 rigid. Wisconsin just doesn't have big terrain or big things to bump into. There are many trail systems where my fastest bike is indeed my rigid SS.

Oops also forgot the 4 different wheels sizes too.