mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Donor bike: Trek OCLV full susp or Cannondale hardtail?

In wanting to try SS'ing out for the first time, I have two possible donor bikes: a ~1996 Trek 9500 full suspension (OCLV with the Risse shock, not the donuts), and a ~1996 Cannondale CAAD3 hardtail. I have enough parts to make one a single speed, and the other geared.

I made a best guess at gear ratios and bought a WI Eno freewheel and two Surly stainless steel chainrings (30T and 34T). I also get a Rennen chain tensioner, though not sure if I'd use it right away.

The Trek frame is basically 10 years new ... I bought it when they were blowing them out, and stripped it for parts. I was going to sell the frame but never got around to it (and once Trek's Y-bikes got popular, its value totally tanked). The Cannondale has been ridden pretty hard, and the headshock has seen better days (but can always be locked out).

I'm still not set on a specific gear ratio, and I was going to use an old derailleur for now with a chain long enough to handle the largest chainring. Since I'm using the derailleur, using the FS bike is an option.

I'm guessing the Trek frame is not worth enough to put up on Ebay, thought it does have a lifetime warranty if I wanted to keep riding it (with associated implications). The Cannondale, built up, could probably be sold for enough to buy SS-specific wheels.

Recommendations? Is the Trek just too far from the SS ethic to make it worth trying? Is the Cannondale robust enough (I've read some threads on the forum that it wasn't) to be a SS (I'm not a clyde, but close to it)? Should I just sell them both and get a SS specific frame (my wife just let me put together a blingy Turner, so its probably not an option)?

Thanks!

Steamroller

Lock-out?

Does the Trek have any kind of lock-out on the rear shock? If not I'd forget it. The Trek could make a pretty cool if unusual SS bike if you can lock out the suspension, or make it really, really firm for standing climbing. I'd think you would have to run a spring tensioner and not a locked in tension tensioner like the Rollenager. You need to allow the chain length to adjust for the movement of the rear wheel. FS SS bikes are kind of wierd and contrary, but a conversion project like this could be cool

The Cannondale is the logical choice, but that makes it less intriguing and less interesting to ponder Good Luck, show us what you come up with!
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Gold Member
    My first SS was my F5000 Cdale and I loved it. I just needed to get a real SS though.
    As far as the f/s, usually I thought the only f/s's that make good SS's are ones where the bb and rear triangle are one and the same. I think it's because of a chain binding issue.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    Does the Trek have any kind of lock-out on the rear shock? If not I'd forget it. The Trek could make a pretty cool if unusual SS bike if you can lock out the suspension, or make it really, really firm for standing climbing.
    [. . .]
    The Cannondale is the logical choice, but that makes it less intriguing and less interesting to ponder Good Luck, show us what you come up with!
    I believe the suspension locks out under pedaling forces though only have a couple miles on it to really know how it rides.

Thanks for the suggestion ... since I'll use a derailleur while finding the right gear combo, I'll try the Trek out first.