Done with Chain Ring Bolts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Done with Chain Ring Bolts

Hi All,

Need some suggestions for “spider less” cranks (no chain ring bolts). I have been riding a SS for 5 years and the constant maintaince to quiet the chain ring bolts has run its course.

Thanks in advance!

DZ

mtbr member
    ENO cranks - no chainring bolts

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ENO cranks - no chainring bolts
    +1. Very nice. Get a good bottom bracket to go with them such as a Phil Wood.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i have ENOs on my 26in. they're great.

if you want more options with chainrings, you can try XTR 95X.

mtbr member
    Middleburn RS7 cranks with Uno hardcoat chainring running on an SKF 600 series BB.
    Pretty much fit and forget.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Done with Chain Ring Bolts-hummingbird-05.jpg  

mtbr member
    try a bmx crankset like Profile and a bmx sprocket. most bmx sprockets have thick teeth for a 1/8" chain, so look for narrow-toothed sprockets.

mtbr member

Thanks........

Any cranks that do not use a square taper BB?

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    BMX style cranks use a splined spindle, most commonly 19mm 48-tooth. they can be relatively light, and are incredibly strong. i use them on my dirt jump bike.

shimano M952 XTR cranks use Octalink.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    Any cranks that do not use a square taper BB?
    Middleburn is available in ISIS

mtbr member
    I find the red loc-tite to be the very easiest solution. It takes a blow torch to get the bolts off. Absolutely no squeaks, no slips, no errors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chexem
    I find the red loc-tite to be the very easiest solution. It takes a blow torch to get the bolts off. Absolutely no squeaks, no slips, no errors.
    I'm not so sure that it will seem like such a great idea when it comes to swap a worn/bent/damaged ring...

mtbr member
    Well, its not like you have to melt the chainring. Just warm the ring bolts a bit, one at a time, and they pop off. You do need the special little wrench, I found a broad blade screwdriver just isn't the right tool for the job. My only initial problem was remembering that I had used the red loc-tite and needed to heat the bolts. More than a few grunts and groans on that day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chexem
    Well, its not like you have to melt the chainring. Just warm the ring bolts a bit, one at a time, and they pop off. You do need the special little wrench, I found a broad blade screwdriver just isn't the right tool for the job. My only initial problem was remembering that I had used the red loc-tite and needed to heat the bolts. More than a few grunts and groans on that day.
    Still, I think it's a bit excessive... To have to resort to a blow torch to change a ring. Why wouldn't you try blue loc-tite first?
    Last edited by Arek; 07-22-2010 at 05:57 AM.

Single Speed Junkie
    A mix of red and blue actually works very well. Use red on the external surface keeping the bolt from rotating and blue on the threads. Only a small drop is needed on both surfaces keeping everything tight.

When you need to remove the bolt it comes off easily with a small blow from a rubber mallet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Done with Chain Ring Bolts-untitled.jpg  

Low Rep Count
    Blue Loc-tite works great for me! Small drop on the threads and I have had no problems.

mtbr member
    So is the problem here the chain ring bolts are creaking, squeaking & making noise or they are becoming loose and require frequent tightening??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    A mix of red and blue actually works very well. Use red on the external surface keeping the bolt from rotating and blue on the threads. Only a small drop is needed on both surfaces keeping everything tight.

When you need to remove the bolt it comes off easily with a small blow from a rubber mallet.
    That sounds like a good idea, no red on threads.

mtbr member

Both

Quote Originally Posted by farrisw1
    So is the problem here the chain ring bolts are creaking, squeaking & making noise or they are becoming loose and require frequent tightening??

Becoming loose and then making noise. There is a lot of torque on those little bolts.

mtbr member

Grease

Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    That sounds like a good idea, no red on threads.
    Do you guys put any grease on the outside of the bolts?

Low Rep Count
    Mine are dry w/ Blue loc-tite on threads. No creaking

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Blue lock-tite on the threads and steel, or stainless steel, bolts and have never had an issue. Make sure all of your surfaces are clean before you put everything together. A lot of shear on the bolts, but not that much torque or tension.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigggs
    Blue lock-tite on the threads and steel, or stainless steel, bolts and have never had an issue. Make sure all of your surfaces are clean before you put everything together. A lot of shear on the bolts, but not that much torque or tension.
    Yeah... interesting to me to consider loctiting these bolts. In 40 years of avid cycling (and doing my own wrenching) I've never loctited them... just always applied grease and torqued them well.

During this time I've never lost a CR bolt nor had one loosen. Yes, as a matter of fact I do ride hard, and with 195mm cranks + 200# rider I know I put a lot of stress on these bolts.

Not saying people shouldn't employ loctite for CR bolts, only offering another rider's experience.

--Sparty

P.S. Perhaps one more consideration worth noting: I've never owned a 4-bolt crankset. With 5-bolt spiders I suppose my rigs enjoy 20-25% less load on each CR bolt... just sayin'.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

Good job! 5 bolt

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Yeah... interesting to me to consider loctiting these bolts. In 40 years of avid cycling (and doing my own wrenching) I've never loctited them... just always applied grease and torqued them well.

During this time I've never lost a CR bolt nor had one loosen. Yes, as a matter of fact I do ride hard, and with 195mm cranks + 200# rider I know I put a lot of stress on these bolts.

Not saying people shouldn't employ loctite for CR bolts, only offering another rider's experience.

--Sparty

P.S. Perhaps one more consideration worth noting: I've never owned a 4-bolt crankset. With 5-bolt spiders I suppose my rigs enjoy 20-25% less load on each CR bolt... just sayin'.
    P.S. Perhaps one more consideration worth noting: I've never owned a 4-bolt crankset. With 5-bolt spiders I suppose my rigs enjoy 20-25% less load on each CR bolt... just sayin'. You may have a point. I am running XT's and they are a PITA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    P.S. Perhaps one more consideration worth noting: I've never owned a 4-bolt crankset. With 5-bolt spiders I suppose my rigs enjoy 20-25% less load on each CR bolt... just sayin'. You may have a point. I am running XT's and they are a PITA
    I've been running LX's since last year and haven't had any of these issues, I can't imagine the XT's are much different. I've never used loctite on chainring bolts and have never had one loosen up on me whether it be 5-bolt or 4-bolt....

mtbr member

XT's

Quote Originally Posted by farrisw1
    I've been running LX's since last year and haven't had any of these issues, I can't imagine the XT's are much different. I've never used loctite on chainring bolts and have never had one loosen up on me whether it be 5-bolt or 4-bolt....
    Not knocking the cranks.....just the SS set-up

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I use five bolt exclusively- and they are harder to find than I would like, but it is worth it- losing bolts in the forest is never good, and bending a chainring five miles in because of that is even worse.

I grease and then tighten down, and from time to time, they'll get loose. But 5 bolt gives me a heads up before **** hits the fan.

Members who have read this thread: 0