Does your crown race fit flush on your Niner carbon fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Does your crown race fit flush on your Niner carbon fork?

I had about a half millimeter gap after I installed mine. I took it to a shop, and they removed the crown race and reinstalled it. Still ended up with about a half millimeter gap. They said maybe the fork was designed that way to allow a crown race removal tool to get under the edge of the crown race without damaging the fork crown. They also said it would be okay to use with the gap.

I decided to double check, so I took it to a different shop, and they looked it over and agreed with the first shop.

I also emailed Niner tech support, but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Just thought I'd check with people here who are using Niner carbon forks. Gap or no gap?

mtbr member
    Mine doesn't have a gap. My dropouts however are spaced wider apart than what seems normal to me. You might have someone put a set of calipers on the base of the steerer tube and check to make sure that it's not over sized and out of spec. Not sure how well of a job Niner's QC department is doing on these forks as of late.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I sent Niner tech support photos of the gap and was advised not to ride it like that. The third bike shop I had look at it said the crown race looked odd and suggested I try a different lower headset & race, so that's what I'm going to do. I checked the fork with my calipers, and it seems fine. Maybe there's something about the angle of the taper that doesn't play well with that particular race.

Downcountry AF
    anyone suggest putting a thin layer of grease where the race seats? might help the race get all the way down there? a mechanic at LBS suggested i do that, makes it easier to see visually when the race it fully seated, the grease squishes out a little. i'm no expert, but it seems like it just isn't seated fully.

not sure what brand headset your using, trying another one is not a bad idea.

I have an Origin8 headset on one bike and the race has a slit in it allowing for install and removal by hand. pretty clever and super convenient for home mechanic. could be an option

if the second headset doesn't fit either i would guess there's something off with the fork.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, the first shop where I took it used some grease that's safe for carbon fiber. The headset is what came with the bike. I think it's Fuji's house brand Oval which could be the problem. It uses caged ball bearings, and the crown race is fairly thick top to bottom and may just not match the taper of the fork properly. I ordered a cartridge bearing Cane Creek lower. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to see about Niner's fork warranty.

mtbr member
    Check the I.D. of the crown race. If its 1.5" consistently all the way around then I would point my finger at the steerer tube.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have an On-One carbon fork and it had a gap like you described when initially installed on the bike. I didn't feel comfortable tightening things anymore so I took it for a ride, very gingerly and slow I might add. The first rocky section of trail I rode through closed most of the gap. Within about 5 miles it was all good to go and I haven't touched it since, 300+ miles now.

I also have a Niner RDO on a different bike. It was brand new along with a new FSA headset/race and everything went together with no issue. I only had to gently tap the race into place with a rubber mallet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just to wrap up the thread, the Cane Creek lower headset/crown race solved the problem.