Does such a frame exist?- Mtbr.com
    Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004

Does such a frame exist?

Hey,

Well, I regret selling my XC singlespeed in favor for a geared 'freeride' bike. If I can afford to do so, I'd like to go SS again -- but, with an 'all-purpose' trail/freeride frame. If such a frame exists. My requirements are as follows:

69-70* HA w/ 5"-travel fork
    72-73* SA
    22.0-23.0" Eff. TT
    Disc mounts designed for SS use
    Under $450

I'd really appreciate any & all advice. The numbers are not set in stone, but an idea of what I'd prefer. Heck, I could be totally wrong.

A few frames I'm looking at are the Kona Cowan, Balfa Minuteman, or maybe just a new Unit.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Surly Instegator would work. You could run it SS with a chain device or a half link. Or have a builder weld in an ebb. Just an idea.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Santa Cruz Chameleon

provided you're not set in stone on it being under $450, though with the right connections, that is not impossible...

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    ...heh?

Edit: Didn't realize you titled the reply 'Santa Cruz Chamelon.' The Chameleon is an option, but it turns me off because I was told by a SC employee that the disc mounts were never designed with SSing in mind.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

true 'nuff..

Quote Originally Posted by futonrvltnst
    The Chameleon is an option, but it turns me off because I was told by a SC employee that the disc mounts were never designed with SSing in mind.
    it does appear that way, though it is totally workable. mine will be done this weekend, provided my new fork arrives by Friday. i'll see about pics detailing the disc mount, track ends and proprietary chain tensioner gizmos.

semi-evolved simian
    Hey,

Well, I regret selling my XC singlespeed in favor for a geared 'freeride' bike. If I can afford to do so, I'd like to go SS again -- but, with an 'all-purpose' trail/freeride frame. If such a frame exists. My requirements are as follows:

69-70* HA w/ 5"-travel fork
    72-73* SA
    22.0-23.0" Eff. TT
    Disc mounts designed for SS use
    Under $450

I'd really appreciate any & all advice. The numbers are not set in stone, but an idea of what I'd prefer. Heck, I could be totally wrong.

A few frames I'm looking at are the Kona Cowan, Balfa Minuteman, or maybe just a new Unit.

thanks!
    Just stumbled across this:
    http://www.transitionbikes.com/Hardtail.cfm

Made here in Seattle, it looks like it meets all your criteria!

Standard Features:

4130 Oversized Chromoly Tubing
    BMX BB (reducers will be available)
    10mm Horizontal Dropouts
    Single-Speed / Gear Compatible with replaceable derailleur hanger
    Axle Positioning System / Chain Tensioning System included
    Dual Crown Compatible
    Disc Only (Accepts 6-8"+ Rotors)
    24" & 26" Wheel Compatible
    Price: $399 USD (Price subject to change)

Geometry (with 450mm Axle-Crown height: 4" fork):

Head Tube Angle: 70 degree
    Seat Tube Angle: 72 degree
    Seat Tube Length: 14" Center-to-Top (Small) & 15" Center-to-Top (Large)
    Top Tube Actual Length: 21.5" (Small) & 23" (Large)
    Chain-Stay Length: Adjustable from 16.1" - 17"
    Bottom Bracket: 68mm x 51.5mm
    Max Rear Tire Clearance: 24" x 3.0 & 26" x 2.7
    Rear Hub Spacing: 135mm
    Last edited by Mine'sAPint; 03-24-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Eh, I guess I should add a Euro bb to my list -- don't want to have to deal w/ American --> Euro bb adapters.

blame me for missed rides
    azonic steelhead? 240 bucks @ jenson

Witty McWitterson
    Whats wrong with an Am bb? There'd be no issues then with running probably THE best/strongest crank out there, the Profiles. Unless you DON'T want to run them that is....

Its a pretty bad ass looking frame. My latest craving is to grab something like this for urban beatings that my 29" just can't handle(actually, my POCKET BOOK can't handle). It looks fun!
    Just a regular guy.

Category Winner

Spicer

My Spicer (which I still don't have a picture of it built) was just slightly more than the price you are looking for. He did use Columbus OS tubing so the price could be closer to yours if you went with 4130. I essentially had that exact frame built (same specs), and I love it.

Category Winner

I forgot to mention...

I will be selling my Planet X Ridgeback soon. I was waiting for my photo disc to be ready to post it. read about the frame at http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news...leview&id=1542
    I used it for a singlespeed for 3 months before I decided I wanted something less aggro. It did require a longer solid axle in my XT hub. If you were interested I can tell you about how I ran it singlespeed. I had purchased an additional non drive side dropout so it would have a clean single speed look to it. I paid close to retail @ $495 and am going to sell it for about half retail. I only rode it for 3months/less than 10 rides.
    The specs are what you are looking for, but it only has a 15" seat tube. I ran a 410 mm seatpost on it.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    The disc mounts work just fine, but you won't achieve that head angle with any 5" fork (though you'd get close with a Sherman and closer with a Black/Minute). I ride mine with a Z1, and the head angle is probably 67ish. Having it faced will help, but I haven't had too much luck finding someone who'll face 1/3" of characteristically-thick Chameleon head tube!

Anyway, the disc mounts on the pre-04s are great; I've been running mine for a year now problem free. The 04 frames have fixed mounts, but the modular mounts still fit. Good luck!

...heh?

Edit: Didn't realize you titled the reply 'Santa Cruz Chamelon.' The Chameleon is an option, but it turns me off because I was told by a SC employee that the disc mounts were never designed with SSing in mind.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor