Does SS + Wide Sweeping Bar = Larger Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Does SS + Wide Sweeping Bar = Larger Bike?

I have always been riding Medium bikes (ETT ~23.75). (5'10.5", 34" inseam)

I recently got a Fisher Rig to try the SS thing, and I am loving SSing.

However, I got a Medium Rig, and the cockpit is a bit too small for me. I ended up buying a longggg stem to compensate, but ideally, I like to keep my stems not too long. I also recently tried a Niner SIR SS Medium, and again it felt a bit cramped (I used to ride a Medium Jet9 with perfect fit for me (105 stem, 580mm bars).

Are people buying larger frames (longer ETT) for SS duty when using wide sweeping bars?

I am slowly planing for my next SS bike and I am a bit confused with what ETT to go for.

PSYCHOLUST
    What is the ETT on your Medium RIG?
    running W I D E bars typically dictates running a slightly shorter stem to compensate.
    ( wider hand stance brings your chest in toward the bar)

The relationship between Effective top tube length and' FRAME SIZE' (BB to top of seat tube) has always been sketchy..... Most frame manufacturers list frame specs for all their different sizes and when shopping for a good fit, a rider/builder should be IGNORING the frame size, wether it is of the S/M/L/XL type of the 14/ 16 18.5 inch type and finding a good potential fit by reading the specs for the ETT .
    That said, a race bike will typically have a longer ETT than a trail bike and a freeride bike will be shorter still for the same rider...... Look at your other bikes for measurements and compare the frames intended use.
    Stem length so drastically effects steering feel that you don't really want to try to 'adjust' your cockpit length using longer or shorter stems.
    Additionally the 'fore/aft" adjustment of your seat should never be used to adjust cockpit length. If the frame feels too short in the cock pit , it likely is..... If you are running 580MM bars ( did I read that correctly?) you may want to go wider still and return to a more appropriate stem length.
    I am 5'11" with a 34" inseam and I am running a SPANK lounge bar that is 700mm wide and find it quite comfortable as well as an assett when climbing...... a wider bar would be an inexpensive fix without messing anything else up

mtbr member
    May 2006
    From experience, I would say a ss bike needs to be comfortable both when sitting and standing, more so than a geared bike. I've seen many geared riders who didn't leave the saddle at all during a multi-hour ride, but that's no option on a ss, obviously.

A longer toptube is nice in that respect (and more desirable than an extra long stem, as you say), but you need to make sure you're not too stretched when sitting. Flat spinning sections could be a chore, otherwise.

The 'big-sweep bars' issue, then. What bars are they, exactly? Do they sweep forward before sweeping backward? Do they offer multiple hand positions? Some more info would be nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

The Medium RIG is 23.7 ETT, virtually same as my Jet9 and the SIR9.

As for bars, I was riding a 580mm (Syntace Duraflite 9deg.) flat bar on my Jet9 geared and was comfortable. I was siting most of the time.

On the SS Rig, I initially tried the OEM bar (Bontrager Race Big Sweep, 620mm width, 12d backsweep), which did not feel good for me. I ended up with a Easton EA50 Riser bar (685mm, 9 sweep, 5 upsweep). This feels quite good and I stand a lot on the SS bike. I know these are not the typical SS bars (e.g. Mary, Jones, etc.).

Thanks.

I actually use a slightly shorter cockpit on my SS than on my geared bike.

bump and grind

same here

Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Geared I run a 90-100 mm stem. On my SS, whether with Mary bars or my new Niner bar (flat and reaallly wide), I run a 70mm stem. I feel that a longish stem puts me too much over the front when standing and mashing, thus not leaving enough traction for the rear wheel.

I think you feel cramped because the wide bar brings you closer to the stem area. And the long stem only exacerbates that condition. Try a shorter stem to put you a little back away from the front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flafonta
    This feels quite good and I stand a lot on the SS bike. I know these are not the typical SS bars (e.g. Mary, Jones, etc.).
    Stick with it then and don't worry about fashion. If you are looking for more wrist comfort or something like that then a high sweep bar might be the ticket, but a decently wide riser or flat bar is still be a great for SSing and gives you one less thing to obsess about

I think most SSers are really still using fairly traditional bars, the funky ones just get all the attention. I tried a 17deg Salsa bar (nothing too crazy) but I'm back to using a traditional riser bar.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    +2 = especially riding rigid.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Out spokin'
    I take some flak for running bar ends, but they serve me well.

While I can shrug off the "antique bar ends" comments, I would never make the fashion faux pas of attaching them to a riser bar. Yup... tall stem, flat bar, bar ends -- hello 1990.

Whatever. It gets me up the hills.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    ...I would never make the fashion faux pas of attaching them to a riser bar.....
    you saying i'm not fashionable?

photo credit - Senna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does SS + Wide Sweeping Bar = Larger Bike?-barends.jpg  

Click Here for Forum Rules

Out spokin'
    Dang... sorry my friend, but if the shoe fits...

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    you saying i'm not fashionable?

photo credit - Senna
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0