Does somebody make this? Or am I a genius?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Does somebody make this? Or am I a genius?

I've been wanting a 21 or 22t cog for awhile just to mess around with the low gear range, but haven't come around to buying one. I was digging through my parts the other day and found two 64 bcd 22t chainrings from triple cranksets. They're both brand new! Does anybody make a carrier for these chainrings to use them as cogs? Yeah, it'd be heavier than a cog, but there's not ramps or pins and the tooth profile is basically ss specific so it'd work for me. Anybody make these?

Spandex Ninja
    yep, granny cog adapter from spicer cycles...
    have seen them, but not sure where to purchase them...

mtbr member
    Damnit... Read post #12

mtbr member
    Who wants to make me one? Accepting offers now

mtbr member

mtbr member
    This sounds like a lot of extra chainring bolts that could loosen up on you.

If you had a steel cog and steel granny, you could just weld 'em together - although getting the centers lined up perfect might be tricky.

Ahhh the pain....
    or just order one of these and be done with it...
    Amazon.com: Singleworks Single Speed Bicycle Cog - Silver - 3/32 inch: Sports & Outdoors
    $22 to your door...that's a buck per tooth.

mtbr member
    Had the stuff to make what vaultbrad suggested, so I threw one together today. I won't get a chance to test it until I get a longer chain (or find some links to splice in with powerlinks), but I'll put some loctite on the chainring bolts before then. Seems pretty solid, and it's 100% free, so I'll give it a shot!

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Had the stuff to make what vaultbrad suggested, so I threw one together today. I won't get a chance to test it until I get a longer chain (or find some links to splice in with powerlinks), but I'll put some loctite on the chainring bolts before then. Seems pretty solid, and it's 100% free, so I'll give it a shot!

I hope you have a steel freehub. When I first went ss I used those cheapo cogs and ripped my aluminum freehub to shreds..

mtbr member
    Spicer granny adapter:

Who wants to make me one? Accepting offers now
    HBC?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    or just order one of these and be done with it...
    Amazon.com: Singleworks Single Speed Bicycle Cog - Silver - 3/32 inch: Sports & Outdoors
    $22 to your door...that's a buck per tooth.
    Yeah but granny rings can be had for $10
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    I'm set with my steel freehub. It's just to play around with an it won't be my main cog so I'm not too worried.

I couldn't find those Spicer adapters anywhere. I referenced them in one of my previous posts.

undercover brother
    I'm set with my steel freehub. It's just to play around with an it won't be my main cog so I'm not too worried.

I couldn't find those Spicer adapters anywhere. I referenced them in one of my previous posts.
    Report back please. I'm curious. I'd love to convert my pug over to SS with a really low gear.

mtbr member
    Looks great 'squatch. Let us know how it works. 63xc.com is a cool site. I wish it was still updated/contributed to.

one chain loop
    if you have two cheap 16t cogs, you can make the base wider. you can do 16-22-16 arrangement as well.

very interesting, too bad i don't run anything bigger than 21t.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Ovaries on the Outside
    OMG, that linked thread brings me back. Amazing how many pathetic forum jockeys have hung around for so many years.

Yeah, that spicer thingy is long gone. Thankfully, I stopped riding 29er SS soon after and that solved my problems. I did attempt that set up you have got going. It worked fine until I went back to 26". Keep us updated as to when it breaks an how your balls felt after getting mashed up into the stem.

miwuksurfer
    Sasquatch, the money you save not buying a purpose built steel cog might have to go towards medical bills after you smash your face and chest into your stem.

Man, seriously, that does not look solid for cranking on.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just don't want to hear of a fallen SS Bretheren.

I'm attracted to Gravity!

I just thought of getting some of these granny cog adapters waterjet cut down at the local machining company....

I'd do the CAD and include holes to zip tie the chainring bolts on as well as ensure the Actiontec 20t 64 mm bcd cog will work without modification.

Then I could mill down the bolt tabs from 3/16 or 1/4 to be just the right width for dinglespeed - put a 20t on one side and a 22t or 24t on the other and you're good to go. Or for singlespeed, cog swapouts would be fast and cheap.

Any interest?

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    This is why the Singlespeed forum is the best! You people are awesome. It's funny how many cool people are on here. I often think that MOST MTBR people never see this singlespeed thread, and don't even know what they are missing. I was about to post that Sasquatch, could drive to Oakland to help me paint houses for a day, and then use the money for gas, beer, 2 new tires, and a Titanium rear cog (or two). Then I looked at the date. Very funny.

Members who have read this thread: 0