Does size matter?- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

New question here. Does size matter?

So Spyke and I have decided to go in on a rigid fork to use when our suspension forks are out for repair (his Fox is leaking and my Marzocchi is due) and JFTHOI. We both have king headsets and he has an extra race. We've decided to go with a Surly; cheap and strong. He has a SC Chameleon and I have my Rocklobster. Both seem to work well with a 4" shock, so I may be answering my own question, but what size do you recommend. The 1x1 fork is 3 inch corrected and the Instigator fork is 4 inch corrected. I'm thinking the Instigator for obvious reasons; both have disc tabs. Any other thoughts.

1G1G, Brad

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    So Spyke and I have decided to go in on a rigid fork to use when our suspension forks are out for repair (his Fox is leaking and my Marzocchi is due) and JFTHOI. We both have king headsets and he has an extra race. We've decided to go with a Surly; cheap and strong. He has a SC Chameleon and I have my Rocklobster. Both seem to work well with a 4" shock, so I may be answering my own question, but what size do you recommend. The 1x1 fork is 3 inch corrected and the Instigator fork is 4 inch corrected. I'm thinking the Instigator for obvious reasons; both have disc tabs. Any other thoughts.

1G1G, Brad
    Go with the 3 inch fork.. You have to remember that your 4 inch squishy fork has sag when you sit on the bike. Also when you go into a corner your fork will compress even more. So I say a 3 inch corrected fork is equal to a 4 inch squishy fork under normal loads.

HUGH

Derailleurs owned: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    Go with the 3 inch fork.. You have to remember that your 4 inch squishy fork has sag when you sit on the bike. Also when you go into a corner your fork will compress even more. So I say a 3 inch corrected fork is equal to a 4 inch squishy fork under normal loads.

HUGH
    Go with the Instigator fork.
    Surly designed it to work in place of a 4" suspension fork, it's 447mm axle-to-crown is less than the suspension forks it replaces.

1x1 fork + Chameleon frame = BB too low

SlowJoe
    I'd go with the instigator. I have a jenson frame [exactly the same as a chameleon] and I switch between a 100mm marzocchi & the instigator. They are about the same length.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGH

HUGH
    I'd be inclined to agree with Hugh - especially for your bike, but .... The SC was made to accept up to a 153mm travel fork. Your RL was probably made around an 80-100mm fork (I'm sure Paul could verify this). Seems most XC steel hardtails are in the 80 range. A 100mm susp fork works good on a frame designed around 80. With both of you on 100mm travel forks, he's on the low end of travel okay for his frame and you are on the high end. Ideally you would want a 1x1 and Spyke would want an Instigator. But if one fork only is the only option, I'd say Instigator. Who gets the fork when both of your suspension forks are in for service?
    Last edited by ssmike; 06-17-2004 at 08:21 AM.

Appalachian Singletrack'n

Instigator for sure.

I have a custom SS built for a 475mm A/C (100mm) fork. I switch very often between my suspension fork and an Instigator fork. A 475 20-25% sag = 450-455 A/C so the 447 instigator is actually a bit shorter. I can defiantly tell the bike steers quicker with the instigator fork if I put something on it that was another 34mm shorter It would be too quick for my taste and I would have to monkey with a ton of stem spacers to get back to the same bar height and probably slide my seat to the back of its rails to get the same KOP. As mentioned before the BB would be way too low for the technical trails I ride with a 413mm fork. The Instigator fork is very strong and I feel very confident with it. I use a 2.5 tire at about 25psi and It ads up to a good riding front end. I prefer the look of the strait bladed Instigator fork to the curved bladed 1x1 as well.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I would go w/ the Instigator fork as well. The 1x1 fork is crazy short from axle to crown.
    Makes it steer like a road bike. What's anothe 10mm between friends? I tried my KM fork on my Instigator frame and it was cool! The Instigator fork would have been perfect though..

Retro Grouch

Ask Paul...DUH..

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    I'd be inclined to agree with Hugh - especially for your bike, but .... The SC was made to accept up to a 153mm travel fork. Your RL was probably made around an 80-100mm fork (I'm sure Paul could verify this). Seems most XC steel hardtails are in the 80 range. A 100mm susp fork works good on a frame designed around 80. With both of you on 100mm travel forks, he's on the low end of travel okay for his frame and you are on the high end. Ideally you would want a 1x1 and Spyke would want an Instigator. But if one fork only is the only option, I'd say Instigator. Who gets the fork when both of your suspension forks are in for service?
    Paul said he designed my bike for a 100mm shock so the Instigator would be his recommendation. He also discussed many of the points Endomaniac brought up about the steering, so it looks like the Instigator is the choice. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Who gets the fork if both shocks need work? Hopefully we'll never know

1G1G, Brad