mtbr member
    May 2006

Does my Tensioner look right?

This was my first conversion. Its a 2003 Jamis Exile that I just coverted using Performance's Forte SS Conversion Kit. I reused my Truativ Firex crank, with the OEM 32 teeth ring. The back is geared with an 18 that came with the kit (in addition to a 16 and a 20).

The tensioner is the Forte pushdown that came with the kit. I dont think, from what I can tell, the spring on the tensioner can be reversed to make it a push-up.

My concern is that theres not enough wrap around on the cog. I didnt get a chance to take it on the trails yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You might be ok. If not, take out 2 links, put in a half link and that should tighten things up like this:
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

mtbr member
    You should be fine with the kit. I did a convert on an old bike using the same kit as you. I am using a Specialized crank with the original 32t chainring. Ridden over a month now and never dropped a chain. Glad I didn't spend more money on other kits like I originally planned before money became a factor. This kit works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

i second

Quote Originally Posted by duotone
    You might be ok. If not, take out 2 links, put in a half link and that should tighten things up like this:

yah, i second duotone, so that the chain would wrap more to the cog,

mtbr member
    May 2006
    10-4. I'll take out two links this week.

Thanks for the help. I'll repost pics when I am done.

BTW I am using an SRAM nine speed chain, not a single speed chain. I read on this forum that the multi-speed chains are much more tolerant to the chainlines that arent exactly straight. Will I be ok using my current chain?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Getting a half link for a geared chain is a trick, spend $9-11 for a ss chain and then another buck for a half link. Actually a ss chain is more tollerent as it's wider.

EGGROLL!!!
    Where is the best place to get a half-link? My recent conversion looks almost identical to the OP, and I was a little worried about the same thing.
    http://www.mullenortho.com Braces and Invisalign in Leesburg VA

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    find a local shop that has bmx bikes and they'll have 'em

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivetenfrank
    10-4. I'll take out two links this week.

Thanks for the help. I'll repost pics when I am done.

BTW I am using an SRAM nine speed chain, not a single speed chain. I read on this forum that the multi-speed chains are much more tolerant to the chainlines that arent exactly straight. Will I be ok using my current chain?
    I am also using a SRAM 9 speed chain with the Forte conversion, just make the chain as short as possible and then run it through the tensioner. My chainring is not SS specific either but the tensioner holds the chain nice and taut. Zero problems with the Forte kit.

Recovering couch patato
    Depending on how oftent he rear wheel will have to come out, you could de-tension the Forte, and wrap an outdoor-duty elastic band (took mine from a camelbak) around it and the chainstay. Find the right tension in this push-up setup, and the chain will be spinning smoothly, with less bounce than in the pull-down mode.
    I ran a (disfunctional) similar tensioner that way on my crit bike for a while, worked great. I dropped chains with push-down.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I took my bike out for its first ride today and I didnt drop a chain once or have any skip. I am very happy with the setup, although I will admit that I have a new respect for SSer's. Some of the climbs I couldnt so well (climbs that I could do on my geared bike), and it was kind of strange spinning like an idiot and not going very fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0