Does anyone prefer a 26" for a SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Does anyone prefer a 26" for a SS?

Last summer I was using a On One Inbred 26" bike w/100mm fork for a SS and loved it. It was light nimble and climbed like a goat. I sold it last fall for a 29er and am running it geared. I love it geared but not sure I want those big wheels for a SS. I'm just wondering if anybody prefers a 26" SS over a 29er?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ride a Surly 1x1 with 26 inch wheels. I prefer the ride and aesthetics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ride 29er both geared and SS. IMO, the 29er wheels and SS are a match made in heaven. SS is all about momentum and the big wheels bring a lot of that. The larger contact patch of the 29er helps on those slipperly uphill sections. I am questionable with my preference for a geared bike (but moving towards the 29er only here too), but I have no doubt with the 29/SS mix (been riding singlespeeds since 2001).

mtbr member
    Gear the 29er appropriately and reap the momentum benefits of the big hoops!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    1x1 29x2.2 in the back, 3.0 gazzi up front, rigid
    explosif, 26x2.5 F+R with squishie fork

different strokes.
    ride what you like.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I rode a 26er GT Karakoram SS conversion for the last year or so, it had a 80 mm front fork and weighed around 26 lbs. I just purchased a 2010 Rig (25 lbs) and am fully convinced that 29" is the only way to go for single speed. If for no other benefit, the added traction while climbing is all I needed to convince me.

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

ummm.....

No!

Did I catch a niner+?
    I have an old Trek I restored and put a SS freewheel on. I also have a 29er geared. I do prefer the 29er and would love an SS one but its just affordable. A friend has a XXIX and I want one so bad.

I make myself think I am getting better training on the 26er since I would have to pedal more vs a 29er with having less momentum to work with.

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhunter
    No!
    ummmm

Yes!
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    if its tight and technical i prefer 26, every thing else i'm ok with 29, if i had to pick one it would be 26

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How about 650b or 27.5"?

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos
    I ride a Surly 1x1 with 26 inch wheels. I prefer the ride and aesthetics.
    l agree. 26 looks better and feels better to me.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm 650b. I never could fall into line naturally on a 29er and the handling is too clumsy. I did like the big wheel up front though... hence my decision not to return to 26.

I love a 26" in the back for those long uphills with technical sections though, so I'll be swapping wheelsets constantly this summer in a battle royal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kruzen
    if its tight and technical i prefer 26, every thing else i'm ok with 29, if i had to pick one it would be 26
    +1

26 is preferred for tech riding, handling is undeniably better.
    29 is for a little added speed, good for fast flowing single track.

29 people are lazy pieces of crap, they are fooling themselves and should just get suspension cause they are all weenies, afraid of a little vibration -I kid, I kid.

hahaha, ride what you like, if you are on two wheels, than I gotta love ya
    no chain no gain.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    From my experience, both do well when geared appropriately. But..

29's carry momentum well, good for long climbs especially. They also have the "roll over/ off of" advantage and better traction. 26's accelerate quickly, good for abrupt/steep climbs. They also handle more aggressively.

At this point, I like 29's better. The pros just greatly outweigh the cons. Still love my 26er though, and ride it plenty. Both are SS.

I don't really have any interest in 650B..I guess I enjoy the distinct differences between the other sizes.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict
    I don't really have any interest in 650B..I guess I enjoy the distinct differences between the other sizes.
    650b is a distinct size. I know it is the internet, but try to limit comments to actual experiences so we all have something somewhat solid to build on, rather than conjecture.

mtbr member
    If the added momentum of the larger wheels is a good thing why isn't everyone using the heaviest rims, tyres and tubes available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink
    If the added momentum of the larger wheels is a good thing why isn't everyone using the heaviest rims, tyres and tubes available?
    29er riders are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon
    29er riders are.
    Ah, ok. Maybe I'll glue some lead strips to my 26" rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    l agree. 26 looks better and feels better to me.
    i love my 1x1. 1x1 be nimble... 1x1 be quick.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink
    Ah, ok. Maybe I'll glue some lead strips to my 26" rims.
    ?? So you get all of the disadvantages of a 29er yet none of the advantages? No ma tter what others say, you want the strongest and lightest rims in any wheel size. More momentum due to more weight is bs. You keep more momentum on a 29er because you roll over stuff easier--not from the weight.

I'm building up an Inbred for the wife in the 26" (just ordered from On-One yesterday) Only because I have 26" parts left over and she will most likely ride it on road and light trails and the type of rising we'll do won't matter whether she's on 26 or 29 or 650b.

Teen Wolf
    as of today i prefer 26" because i don't have a 29er... as of tomorrow things may change. i'm picking up a 29er. i've tried them in the past, i'm not sold on them yet, but i couldn't pass up the deal. so i'll have both. i'm afraid my 26" wont get as much ride time this summer but i could be wrong!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I love the "roll over" argument from 29 riders. On my 26 I don't "roll over" much because I can just loft the front wheel and manual.

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    Change is bad....

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWJR
    I love the "roll over" argument from 29 riders. On my 26 I don't "roll over" much because I can just loft the front wheel and manual.
    Yeah, the roll over benefit only applies when the rider allows their front wheel to collide with the terrain of the trail.

Some people develop skills to avoid that.....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OVAR8MGJtPM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OVAR8MGJtPM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    I have a 26er hardtail SS and a ridgid 29er SS. Although the 26er is about 7 or 8 lbs lighter and light years easier to climb, I prefer the 29er, especially in technical choppy stuff that wants to bury the front wheel in holes between big rocks. The 26er is going to be converted to a 1x9 with slicks for salty winter road rides to save my road bike.

Apr 2007
    I'm not talking about big logs. I'm referring to rocks and roots. Bigger wheels will roll over that stuff easier. 3" is a big difference. Even my truck with 32's from stock 30's make a HUGE difference. 3" advantage on a bicycle is big.

In fact, go hit up your favorite trail on a 24" wheeled bike and tell me the 2" doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    Did the 29er for two years, and I'm done with it. 26 is just more fun. Snappy, quick, light, short, flickable. Like a sports car compared to a Carnival cruise ship.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Godless Communist
    Did the 29er for two years, and I'm done with it. 26 is just more fun. Snappy, quick, light, short, flickable. Like a sports car compared to a Carnival cruise ship.
    Which 29er did you ride? Sometimes it depends on the bike geometry and a rider's build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Singlespeed goes with rigid for me so the extra rollover advantage of 29 is a must. The more suspension front and rear the more I prefer a 26.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    650b is a distinct size. I know it is the internet, but try to limit comments to actual experiences so we all have something somewhat solid to build on, rather than conjecture.
    Don't get too upset there buddy, I'm not pissin on your 650B parade. I just meant that I have fun switching it up between my 26er and 29er because there are distinct differences. People usually go to 650's because they want something that falls in between and seems to have handling benefits over the other two. I didn't think that declaring my lack of interest in trying 650's would matter to anyone. I'm glad you have fun on your's though.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Godless Communist
    Yeah, but you have so much more fun on a Carnival cruise than in a car.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I'm not talking about big logs. I'm referring to rocks and roots. Bigger wheels will roll over that stuff easier. 3" is a big difference. Even my truck with 32's from stock 30's make a HUGE difference.

While driving your truck, do the front wheels come off the ground when you lean back in your seat?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Cruises suck. Carnivals are cool with clowns and zombies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    While driving your truck, do the front wheels come off the ground when you lean back in your seat?

WIN.
    no chain no gain.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    I tried the 29er thing and went back to a 26er. I can see the benefit of a 26er on the downhills, but it hindered my ride too much on the climbs. I never had a problem going down hill to begin with, so i really didnt need the crutch of the bigger wheels for that. I also thought the 26er turned better, but that could have alot to do with geometry.

Jul 2006
    I dunno, pulling 1g through a corner in a sports car sounds more fun than being trapped on a boat in the middle of an ocean for a week with a bunch of cougars and middle aged men in speedos.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Cruises suck. Carnivals are cool with clowns and zombies.
    What about a cruise with clowns and zombies?
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    I dunno, pulling 1g through a corner in a sports car sounds more fun than being trapped on a boat in the middle of an ocean for a week with a bunch of cougars and middle aged men in speedos.
    That's because you signed up for the Prop 8 Cruise.

Teen Wolf
    just rode my 29er for the first time. as a rigid singlespeed rider, i will not be riding my 26" anymore. the 29er was SO much nicer on the trails, fast, rolled over stuff, smoothed the whole trail out. I was flying. I am absolutely converting after my ride tonight.

Currently in Exile
    If your riding the right 29er, you can do that tire lofting thing too. I have Gary Fisher Cobia and a GT Peace. I can loft the front end on both bikes quite easily. If I couldn't, I would not have gotten them.

I still have my Surly 1X1 too. I may take the Peace and the 1X1 out to the trail sometime soon so that I can compare the bikes back back.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    29ers are nice but I sure prefer my 26 inch bike for anything tight and twisty..

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think it is funny that people try to make riding tech stuff as easy as possible by getting gear that is easier to ride it on. Maybe that is why big travel bikes are so popular with new riders. More forgiving for riders who are not as skilled. So you get a 29er which smoothes out the trail. Then you take away the front fork because the trail doesn't seem to rough anymore. When does it end? It is more comfy to ride my geared full suspension bike on all trails. I don't ride it because I like the challenge of my 26" ss bikes. I can clean all trails on my ss hardtail as I can on my comfy bike. If I want to make riding easier I just hop on my yz250 smoker and twist the throttle. If you need the extra gear to ride the trails then it is a no brainer. If you can do it on a minimal machine well you are just in a different class than the rest of society. Have not lost a race to a 29" rider yet so I think I will stay with the more challenging machine. I am almost 40 though so I might have to upgrade to the easier machine in a couple of years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS
    Have not lost a race to a 29" rider yet so I think I will stay with the more challenging machine. I am almost 40 though so I might have to upgrade to the easier machine in a couple of years.
    You are 39 years old.

Are you saying that you have never lost your category/age group to another rider on 29" wheels...

...or are you saying that you were faster than all the 29" wheeled riders, regardless of age or category, in every race you have ever ridden in?

Pretty hard to back up those statistics, since singlespeed, beginner, sport and expert class can all run either 26" or 29" wheels.

mtbr member
    I really didn't want to turn this into a flame war. I just wanted opinions of people that still prefer a 26" wheeled SS. My issue is I love my 29er geared, but if I only have one gear I like the idea of having the lightest wheels/tires I can get and that would be a 26" wheel. after reading all the responses I really think my next single speed will either be a 69er or a 650B. I'm kicking my self for selling my last 26" inbred frame for $75

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharny
    You are 39 years old.

Are you saying that you have never lost your category/age group to another rider on 29" wheels...

...or are you saying that you were faster than all the 29" wheeled riders, regardless of age or category, in every race you have ever ridden in?

Pretty hard to back up those statistics, since singlespeed, beginner, sport and expert class can all run either 26" or 29" wheels.
    Denton is/was a Pro. I used to race with him (not against him, i was only expert at the time). There were no age groups for his class, and i can confirm that out of every race i have ever seen him in (we raced pretty much the same races), he has not lost to a single 29er in his class. In fact, i dont think i have either, aside from races involving mechanical issues.
    He is a fast sonova*****, and i find it hard to believe that 40 is going to slow him down.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyracer
    What about a cruise with clowns and zombies?
    left for dead 3 baby!! anyways I was contemplating getting a 29er but now that I read this I might just go with the GT peace 26er. plus 26er parts are cheaper and more available
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My single speed is a 26er hard tail, part because I like the feel, part because it is a parts bin bike and I had 26er stuff around, and got a free 26er frame. My "race" bike is a 1x9 29er, last year it was full rigid, this year I went with a front fork. Still ran my fastes times on a 26" wheeled Specialize Epic I borrowed from a friend. I can't wait to see how a hardtail 29er fairs. I'm 6'3" so I don't think it is a size issues.

Members who have read this thread: 0