Do you use protection?- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

Do you use protection?

For your riding I mean. After a nasty crash and a couple days in the hospital with broken ribs and a punctured lung, I decided it was time to think about some padding. I saw this Troy Lee Designs Protective Shirt (BP5850HW) on the web and with some rave reviews so I ordered it and it arrived this morning. All I can say is wow! I haven't ridden with it yet, but it is unbelievably light, seems to be well vented and has padding in all the right places that at least would have mitigated my injuries. I know all you youngsters out there are invulnerable and like to brag about broken bones, but when you get older you tire of the pain and down time that seems to get longer and longer with age. I'll post a later review after a few rides but I won't guarantee a fall.

BTW, I already have two rides in and the ribs are doing great. Starting next Monday I'll be back to regular rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you use protection?-img_4069.jpg  

Do you use protection?-img_4070.jpg  

Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

openwound
    I've got a 661 coresaver that I wear when riding downhill. It wouldn't have protected my shoulder in my last get-off, but it does provide great protection for the spine and torso. I don't wear if for ss riding though it's probably not a bad idea...

Ovaries on the Outside
    I don't use protection for anything.

master blaster
    i wear a helmet. i keep telling myself im gonna pad up but it never happens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

safety thought

I just thought of something, we've been riding together for around 10 years and I've seen you tip over... but never crash.
    During our tenure you've broken ribs more than once, got stitches in your head WHILE wearing a helmet, dislocated your shoulder a least once and I think broke your collar bone.
    Do I keep you safe?
    I think I'll order one of those fancy shirts.

Looking forward to our next ride!
    Spike

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Spike
    I just thought of something, we've been riding together for around 10 years and I've seen you tip over... but never crash.
    During our tenure you've broken ribs more than once, got stitches in your head WHILE wearing a helmet, dislocated your shoulder a least once and I think broke your collar bone.
    Do I keep you safe?
    I think I'll order one of those fancy shirts.

Looking forward to our next ride!
    Spike
    There is little doubt you keep me safe; the next time I crash without you it's your fault for not being there!

Out spokin'
    It def makes you look younger, Brad.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    661 has released a similar shirt. I'm going to try it soon. But I don't think it will help against broken ribs. But you're right, with age injuries take longer to heal. Depending on the type of riding I always wear the maximum of protection, for DH even down to a Leat Brace. Not everyone has the skills of a Sam Hill, so a bit of extra protection is always welcome if things go wrong

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by dmx1
    661 has released a similar shirt. I'm going to try it soon. But I don't think it will help against broken ribs.
    Perhaps you mean <a href="http://mania.com.pricepoint.com/detail/17108-535_SSOAS8-1-Clothing-14-Protective-Gear/661-Assault-Pressure-Suit.htm"> this one </a> ? If so I agree the rib protection looked minimal at best

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    For your riding I mean. After a nasty crash and a couple days in the hospital with broken ribs and a punctured lung, I decided it was time to think about some padding. I saw this Troy Lee Designs Protective Shirt (BP5850HW) on the web and with some rave reviews so I ordered it and it arrived this morning. All I can say is wow! I haven't ridden with it yet, but it is unbelievably light, seems to be well vented and has padding in all the right places that at least would have mitigated my injuries. I know all you youngsters out there are invulnerable and like to brag about broken bones, but when you get older you tire of the pain and down time that seems to get longer and longer with age. I'll post a later review after a few rides but I won't guarantee a fall.

BTW, I already have two rides in and the ribs are doing great. Starting next Monday I'll be back to regular rides.
    How's the shoulder protection on the Shirt? I broke my clavicle from a hard fall directly onto my shoulder. I'm thinking something like this could protect that shoulder in the future.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Econoline
    How's the shoulder protection on the Shirt? I broke my clavicle from a hard fall directly onto my shoulder. I'm thinking something like this could protect that shoulder in the future.
    All I can say is there are shoulder pads and they would certainly mitigate any fall. If you are unsure you can always add additional pads that are designed to work with the shirt.If you are not so concerned about ribs, you might want to look at the 661 I referenced to dmx1, the shoulder pads look a bit more substantial.<a href="http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Troy-Lee-Designs-Shock-Doctor-gear-review-ride-and-crash-tested,4839">Here's</a> a review of the Troy Lee Designs shirt I bought with some different pics and some of the additional paddings.

Fat & Single
    I used to wear 661 evo knees all the time and the elbows when i was doing a ride where i rode to the top and it was all down from there on in.... this was for about 6 months after a nasty knee injury. Ive been slack lately , no doubt it will come back and bite me in the ass but its too warm here in Oz to wear protective gear if you are pedalling and sweating.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i do ever since some sweet young thang gave me herpes. she was friggen hot.

mtbr member
    @ aka brad : no, it's this one, it's called Subgear Compression Suit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you use protection?-p-20381.jpg  

Rohloff
    No protection. Whenever I'm about to crash, I just pull out.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by dmx1
    @ aka brad : no, it's this one, it's called Subgear Compression Suit
    I saw that shirt also, and it appeared to have substantially less protection than the Troy Lee Design and nothing for your ribs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    I saw that shirt also, and it appeared to have substantially less protection than the Troy Lee Design and nothing for your ribs.
    I called 661 about this Subgear line several months ago. It is not intended to provide any protection against abrasion, so it would have to be used as a base layer (subgear?) under an armor layer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    661 Veggie shin gaurds. I kept on getting little dotted marks up my shins where my pedals or sprockets had attacked me. Funnily enough, in 3 years of riding i've only ever actually come off in a wonderful way once, but the shin gaurds have taken a hammering from heaps of times where my foot has come loose and been prone to slice 'n dice.

Protection is also pretty sweet for winter riding, so you don't have to wear pants if it's freezing, just pop on the shin guards and you have some cozy warmth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Econoline
    I called 661 about this Subgear line several months ago. It is not intended to provide any protection against abrasion, so it would have to be used as a base layer (subgear?) under an armor layer.
    huh? surely those shoulder pads and elbow pads would guard against abrasion

Members who have read this thread: 0