mtbr member
    May 2008

Do you own other mountain bikes than your SS?

I think a HT SS 29er is the perfect bike for me, but am getting the urge to own a FS geared bike again. I wouldn't ride it that much tho, so not sure if it's worth the cost.

What type of mountain bikes do you own and how much do you ride each?

mtbr member
    Have an ROS9 ht ss, and a geared ROS9 plus about to get the SS treatment but I'll keep the gearies around for possible bikepacking duty(also have a RIP9 but it is RIPing)

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yup, an Ibis HD3. SS hardtail is lovely but limiting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A couple years back I thought I wanted a geared bike again too.

So I bought a geared FS and I've ridden it about 6-7 times in two years. (Wasn't worth it.) I just don't have the same love for a geared bike like I use to. That's just me though.

Always in the wrong gear
    I just 'found' singlespeeding, so I still have my FS bike obviously. My friends and I used to search out and ride the biggest, steepest gnarliest terrain we could. No joke, we'd comb through MTB project looking for black diamond and double black diamonds. It was all about riding stuff that most people thought was stupid.

Then we all started getting hurt and slowly realized that not riding was less fun than riding 'blue' trails. So now I challenge myself seeing how fast I can ride blues and greens on a SS.
    Edit: not only has my FS not been taken off the wall since the day my SS rolled into the garage, but I've begun to poach parts off of it: the saddle, some blingy bits like the YAWYD stem cap, etc. I'm pretty sure the stem and handlebars are gonna get test-fitted to my SS here soon, just to see how it feels.

mtbr member
    Converted my only mountain bike to SS awhile back, and love it. Don't really want anything else, but both returning to gears and going FS are starting to get tempting right now, because I'm trying to keep riding frequently while continually increasing ride time and mileage. Most of the trails I ride are fairly well-suited to a SS hardtail, but some aren't, plus my "big" rides for the week have progressed from ~12 miles to 17, 25, and now into the low 30s. It's beating the crap out of me, taking longer to recover from, and I find myself avoiding certain trails for fear of long or rough climbs wearing me out with a lot of miles left to go-and that's taking some of the fun out of it.
    Pretty sure I'll eventually put my gears back on, but convert it to SS again(immediately!) when I get another bike that's more suitable for the longer rides.

The White Jeff W
    Canfield Yelli Screamy 650B with 160mm fork

Surly Ice Cream Truck fat bike

I like to have a geared bike in the stable to ride with friends who don't do SS. I usually ride the SS alone. After nearly a full season on my rigid SS I sold the full suspension bike I had. The suspension made it feel dead under me.
    No moss...

Wanna ride bikes?
    I'm constantly torn between practicality and fun factor. my Kona Unit is the most fun for me to ride, but limited in how and when i can ride it. i mostly ride it alone.

my geared hardtail gets a little more use right now. my rides frequently cover widely varied terrain. sometimes i travel a long way (12-15 miles) to go ride trails, 32:18 is not a commuting gear. also a lot of the terrain around me is very rocky/rooty and it's nice to have suspension on long rides, anything over 3-4 hours.

I just ordered a Krampus and i'm undecided if i'm going to leave it rigid and go SS, or possibly put a Lefty and a dropper on it and leave it geared. they'd both be fun, I'm torn.

SS cyclocross bike is awesome. IMO part of what makes a cross bike great is it's versatility. running it SS kind of compromises it's versatility.

the fat bike needs to stay geared, i only ride it in winter pretty much, and actually I'm selling it currently and maybe getting something different in the fall.

the only reason i'm considering a FS 29er is for racing. it is substantially faster over rough terrain and for endurance events. haven't pulled the trigger yet, it's last on my list and kind of a low priority. it would be nice, but kind of a luxury item since i don't get paid to race. (i know, they're all luxury items ) if i bought one i would probably sell the hardtail, i can't believe i just said that, but i'm afraid it would make riding trails too easy and kill some of the challenge/fun factor.

oh, and they're all steel ^.
    Last edited by *OneSpeed*; 03-27-2016 at 06:10 AM.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J.BullFrog View Post
    A couple years back I thought I wanted a geared bike again too.

So I bought a geared FS and I've ridden it about 6-7 times in two years. (Wasn't worth it.) I just don't have the same love for a geared bike like I use to. That's just me though.
    I think it would be the same with me. I wouldn't want a cheap FS because I'm used to quality, lightish bikes yet I can't justify spending ~$2k on something used that I probably won't ride a ton.
    I'd like a FS with a slack HTA to rip some downhills and for long distance rides, but overall my current bike is much more fun for the trails I ride 99% of the time (rolling hills that are perfect for SS). I used to ride more variety, go on longer rides and take more trips to the mountains but now that I have a family and a number of new hobbies, I just ride my local trails. Eventually I'll probably get a FS again, but don't think I'd put enough miles on it to make it worth riding right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    the fs is the main bike pivot 429
    the GT peace is the SS mostly for ride with the kid and dog

Haven't owned a geared mtb in 8 or 9 years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I find that I don't have the patients for multi gears. If something goes wrong with my single speed(broke chain, chain falls off), it's like, o well things happen. If something goes wrong with a multi gear bike(chain slip, bad shift), it's like, WHAT THE HELL!, I hate this thing, I'm never going multi gears again.

Click Click Click
    Ripped the gears off my bike (luckily it had paragon sliders) about a year ago, and never looked back. Just built up a 29+ SS Rigid, and LOVE it. About once every couple of months I get destroyed on a ride, and think, gears would have been nice on that ride, but I can't justify a bike that I would literally ride a handful of times every year. Single Speeding is just more FUN for me. I know it is not for everyone, but it sure is for me and the trails I ride. You know what they say... Single Speeders Get Off More
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onecogshortofacluster View Post
    I find that I don't have the patients for multi gears. If something goes wrong with my single speed(broke chain, chain falls off), it's like, o well things happen. If something goes wrong with a multi gear bike(chain slip, bad shift), it's like, WHAT THE HELL!, I hate this thing, I'm never going multi gears again.
    Same here but the difference is I rarely have a problem with the SS. There are so few things that can go wrong. It's either a minor issue and I'll be able to easily repair it or catastrophic where there's no hope.

I have a Spec'd Camber Evo I got a couple years ago that I intended to use for endurance races before I got hooked on singlespeeding. I rarely take it out but when I do it's a ton of fun. In fact, I rode it yesterday for the first time of the season...and was promptly reminded why gears are such a pain. A new chain made it obvious the small ring had significant wear so I rode the big ring all 50 miles of my ride so it was kind of like being on a SS.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    At almost 50 years old, SS every ride is too much. If you ride 20-25 days a month, it's nice to mix in a gear bike with full suspension. When I get busy with work in summer, I only ride 12-15 days per month, and mostly SS. Maybe 2-3 rides on gear bike. If you ride 350,000-400,000 ft elevation per year on a Single Speed, you are badass! I am not in that club.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nope. Never owned a full suspension, never had the desire to. I come from a trials and BMX background so hard tails and rigid bikes are all I've ever ridden and riding one gear is how I rolled most of my youth.
    Only recently have I 'converted' back to full-time SS as a mountain biker but the drivetrain versatility of my bike (ability to add gears and rohloff) and soon to be tire/wheel size versatility is all I've ever needed for where and how I ride.
    Plus and solely my own opinion so as to not offend anyone I think plastic/aluminum full suspension bikes are ugly and aesthetically uninspiring. 2 steel diamonds, 1 gear and some thick rubber have always been my preference and continue to be. Each their own though.

mtbr member

Do you own other mountain bikes than your SS?

I have a geared hardtail and a SS hardtail. Gears are preferred for rides more than 3 hours because the SS puts me in the red too much. But I still ride the gearie like a SS - standing up a lot - but have easier gears to get up the steeps and not go anaerobic.

I've been thinking really hard about a dually for loooong rides in gnarly terrain but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger. Expensive. And there's a real risk that the dually won't get as much love as the SS or geared HT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    am getting the urge to own a FS geared bike again. I wouldn't ride it that much tho, so not sure if it's worth the cost.
    It's true that if you love SSing, adding a FS rig as a second bike can be hard to justify, depending on your budget and riding frequency. Solution: own a FS rig, then add a SS as a second bike!

After only riding SS for ~5 years, I recently splurged on a Pivot 429 Trail. Great bike, but my SS is still more fun. It's close though. The 429T is far more versatile for Arizona trails and beats me up less. Dollar-for-dollar, the rigid SS wins by a mile.

I ride year round, about 3x/week. I rationalized my new purchase by owning the same compact car for 10+ years, cutting way back on booze, and staying cigarette-free for over 2 years.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I have a El Mar SS that I ride most of the time. Traded up from a SE Stout that I bought to see if I would like 29er SS. But whenever I head to the mountains I take my Transition Double. Most fun bike ever. Might not be the fastest going up, but I have the biggest smile at the bottom!

mtbr member
    My stats over approximately 1 year. Also had a fatbike, but sold it because it wasn't being ridden enough. I just have more fun on singlespeeds. Love the simplicity, lack of maintenance, and the challenge of 1 gear and no shocks. The full suspension is nice if I'm going on a long group ride, want to ride faster than normal on rough downhills, or if I'm not feeling 100% want something more comfortable.

Carbon Rigid SS 29er - 690 miles
    Steel Rigid SS 29er - 371 miles
    Carbon FS 29er - 338 miles
    Aluminum HT 29er - 26 miles
    Roadbike - 195 miles with smart trainer on zwift. Don't trust cars, so I stay off the road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have two fully built SS (Krampus and El Mar) and a frame hanging in the garage. Have been thinking about a new 29+ and adding gears to the El Mar for commuting.

I was a roadie for 30 years and have never liked even front suspension...

mtbr member
    SS Soma Juice is 32/20 most of the time, but if I am going to ride very long distances or with a group of fast riders, I put a 9 speed setup on the back.

my Double Cross has tubeless knobbies on it and had a 2x10 drivetrain (48/34x11-32) on it. I ride trails, gravel and roads on it. great for all-around long rides on mixed terrain. I took off the front derailleur and put a 38t n-w ring and a 11-36t cassette on it and yanked the cable out of the front shifter yesterday but have not gotten a real test ride on it yet. I think that should be enough gear for 95% of all that I did on it before with out the extra shifter and without worrying about tagging that big 48t ring on rocks and logs. I have a 100K gravel race this Saturday, so I hope it works!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Specialized Carve SL rigid SS ride at least every other week
    Salsa Spearfish FS 2x10 race most weekends in summer
    Canfield Yelli Screamy HT 3x10 27.5+ don't ride it as much as I'd like
    Trek Farley 7 rigid 26x4.7 1x11 race most weekends during the winter and ride every once in a while in summer for fun
    Soma Double Cross Disc 2x9 commute to work often. trail rides every couple weeks in summer.
    Specialized Roubaix 2x10 lots of road miles in summer and trainer in basement winter
    Old GT Dyno VFR ride when I feel nostalgic and suicidal LOL

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Fatbike, dudes!
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR in addition to my SS. Sometimes I want to go hit a rock garden or some trails that just aren't as much fun on my SS. It's great to be able to ride both. I am still 80-90% SS though.

mtbr member
    I have a Bluto equipped Ice Cream Truck and an immaculate 1992 Cannondale Beast of the East I built up as a 1x8 with slicks for urban assault.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Not anymore. Down to two bikes, a SS rigid 29r mtb, and a SS Cross Bike setup for urban/adventuring/whatever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I have a Bluto equipped Ice Cream Truck and an immaculate 1992 Cannondale Beast of the East I built up as a 1x8 with slicks for urban assault.
    Whoa! Beast! one of my dream bikes from that era (minus the slicks of course!) pics posted anywhere?

mtbr member
    I have a Cannondale F29 and I have a SuperX cross bike ordered. Not a mountain bike per se but still an off road machine.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    After riding purely SS for over a year I hate riding my brand new Fs. Im trading it for a very nice SS frame and losing my butt on it. Its just sluggish on the climbs and its tough push a 29lb plus the added drivetrain weight vs my 24lb belt drive SS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Down to two bikes myself: The SIR 9 SS and Fatboy 1x10

Mainly ride the SS. The Fatboy gets attention specifically during winter and for adventure rides in the warmer months.

Currently building up a set of 27.5+ wheels for my SS which with appropriate gearing, will allow me to use the SS for pretty much everything but snow riding.
    SIR 9 SS
    Fatboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A couple of Santa Cruz Tallboys (alu and carbon), but with all the 1x12 hype and constantly changing "standards," my SS's are seeing more and more trail time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Stumpjumper carbon Evo 29er 1x10. I like to have options. SS is def. torture, but fun for me. I love the simplicity of the bike and never having any mechanical issues. But, having the FS bike allows me to ride in areas that the SS can't go. So, best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Niner One9 rigid SS
    Trek Remedey 9.8 29er

Perfect dichotomy.
    I ride them about 60/40% favoring the SS.

mtbr member
    I've got a couple of Genesis Alpitudes (one on the Isle of Man, one in Greece). After work yesterday I decided to go out for a quick loop of some local stuff and at the last minute decided, for some weird reason, to take the Alpitude rather than my trusty Singular Hummingbird.
    However, at the top of the last descent it decided to snap its mech hanger and send the mech into the spokes.........so, it ended up running 30:20 the rest of the way home. I may buy a Blackpire Stinger to use as a tensioner and try it like that for a bit.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I have 3 bikes.

2012 Monocog SS and rigid
    2010 Giant XTC 1x9
    older specialized road bike

I ride the SS 90% of the time. I normally ride alone and I don't have any problem on the group rides either. I have a 37 mile route with a lot of fire roads, pavement, and climbing so I'll use the XTC for that route and extremely fast group rides.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I think a HT SS 29er is the perfect bike for me, but am getting the urge to own a FS geared bike again. I wouldn't ride it that much tho, so not sure if it's worth the cost.

What type of mountain bikes do you own and how much do you ride each?
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    I just 'found' singlespeeding, so I still have my FS bike obviously. My friends and I used to search out and ride the biggest, steepest gnarliest terrain we could. No joke, we'd comb through MTB project looking for black diamond and double black diamonds. It was all about riding stuff that most people thought was stupid.

Then we all started getting hurt and slowly realized that not riding was less fun than riding 'blue' trails. So now I challenge myself seeing how fast I can ride blues and greens on a SS.
    Edit: not only has my FS not been taken off the wall since the day my SS rolled into the garage, but I've begun to poach parts off of it: the saddle, some blingy bits like the YAWYD stem cap, etc. I'm pretty sure the stem and handlebars are gonna get test-fitted to my SS here soon, just to see how it feels.
    HAhaha, welcome and you'll prolly borrow more parts off to put on your SS.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Most of the trails I ride are fairly well-suited to a SS hardtail, but some aren't, plus my "big" rides for the week have progressed from ~12 miles to 17, 25, and now into the low 30s. It's beating the crap out of me, taking longer to recover from, and I find myself avoiding certain trails for fear of long or rough climbs wearing me out with a lot of miles left to go-and that's taking some of the fun out of it.
    Been there, riding frequently on technical rough trails can take it's toll on the body. I used to swap between rigid and RS Reba Air, but really love the snappy response of rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I like to have a geared bike in the stable to ride with friends who don't do SS. I usually ride the SS alone. After nearly a full season on my rigid SS I sold the full suspension bike I had. The suspension made it feel dead under me.
    X2, i settled on Nashbar SS with some swapped parts to make it mine and a geared hardtail for faster, rougher and steeper rides. I've ridden a few high-end FS bikes on my favorite trails for comparison and dead is a great way to describe them...makes riding too easy, not much need to pick your lines, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    It's true that if you love SSing, adding a FS rig as a second bike can be hard to justify, depending on your budget and riding frequency. Solution: own a FS rig, then add a SS as a second bike!

The 429T is far more versatile for Arizona trails and beats me up less. Dollar-for-dollar, the rigid SS wins by a mile.

I ride year round, about 3x/week. I rationalized my new purchase by owning the same compact car for 10+ years, cutting way back on booze, and staying cigarette-free for over 2 years.
    Good for you, that's the way to do it, if you're going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I have 3 bikes.

2012 Monocog SS and rigid
    2010 Giant XTC 1x9
    older specialized road bike

I ride the SS 90% of the time. I normally ride alone and I don't have any problem on the group rides either. I have a 37 mile route with a lot of fire roads, pavement, and climbing so I'll use the XTC for that route and extremely fast group rides.
    Perfect! I've settled on similar and love it, bike for every need! Love the Monocog and the Nashbar SS 29ers!

Nashbar SS 29er, my second most ridden bike since I bought it.
    Wabi fixed gear road bike, my most ridden bike since I bought it couple years ago.
    Get off the couch and ride!

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    HAhaha, welcome and you'll prolly borrow more parts off to put on your SS.

Been there, riding frequently on technical rough trails can take it's toll on the body. I used to swap between rigid and RS Reba Air, but really love the snappy response of rigid.

X2, i settled on Nashbar SS with some swapped parts to make it mine and a geared hardtail for faster, rougher and steeper rides. I've ridden a few high-end FS bikes on my favorite trails for comparison and dead is a great way to describe them...makes riding too easy, not much need to pick your lines, etc.

Good for you, that's the way to do it, if you're going to do it.

Perfect! I've settled on similar and love it, bike for every need! Love the Monocog and the Nashbar SS 29ers!

Nashbar SS 29er, my second most ridden bike since I bought it.
    Wabi fixed gear road bike, my most ridden bike since I bought it couple years ago.
    Exactly. I've never ridden a Nashbar SS, but if it's anything like my Monocog it would be hard not to enjoy. I don't like the long chainstays though. It's a little harder to wheelie, but I can plow through anything. I want to try a nimble 9 or yelli screamy someday.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

No known cure
    yes. Another single speed. Same gearing but different tubing and geo. I also have a custom Ventana 6" bike that I love but only ride sometimes
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

western NC
    Just sold my hardtail that got me back into riding in 2014, down to four mountain bikes now.

My Soma B Side SS
    My Trek Fuel EX 9 squishy bike
    My cheap ass Gravity fat bike, also SS
    and my Haro Steel Reserve DJ bike

The B side and the Fuel see the most ride time. There are places I ride the Fuel that I'd never take the B side, due to my fitness level. I know guys that ride SS there, and holy crap, hats off to you.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Kona Unit 29" SS hard tail.
    Diamondback Vectra Sport 26" alloy hard tail converted to SS.
    Avanti Blade 700c flat bar fitness bike converted to SS CX.
    Stumpy hard tail converted to rigid, running 37mm tyres on 29er wheels, drop bars and 1x10 gearing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Rode a Jamis Dakar fully for just a couple years instead of an older rigid Miyata Elevation. Converted that Elevation to SS and rode it so much more that I sold the Dakar. After +10yrs of SS (33x18) I moved to the mountains and treated myself to a 1x11 Santa Cruz Solo. Talk about an upgrade - dropper post, carbon frame, 27.5 wheels, remote susp lockout, gears and even a weight loss!

I think the SS experience let me bump to a 34t up front Single speeding was a helluva lot of fun, but a major PITA for the trails around here - my house ride starts with 500m climbing over the first 5km.

YRMV

mtbr member
    Trek-69er SS
    Klein Mantra
    Kona Ute

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a Civilian Luddite rigid ss and a El mar geared. Ride both about equally. Most of the time solo on the ss. Group rides mostly the El Mar...getting stuck behind geared riders on climbs can suck big time on a ss. Currently looking to get a cross bike for gravel grinding/urban adventures