Do you know which handlebar this is?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Do you know which handlebar this is?

On the General discussion board someone is trying to identify the following handlebar and who makes it.....

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...p.8@.efc492a/2

Now that thread come from the SS board in August 03 and it is identified as a Nitto moustache bar, but when I look at the hand position there is no way it is similar to the Nitto moustache bar I see being sold at Rivendell.....

http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog...ape/16027.html

I've also looked at the pics at two other sites aebikea and bikeman which both have another pic which is at such a angle that its hard to tell...
    Anyway the clearer pic at Rivendell shows the ends not nearly so flaired out as the bars shown in that racing pic with the guy going down the stairs..

So any idea about the bars in that original pic of the guy coming down the steps....or do you think he just took some Nitto moustache bars and had them bent out?

I am the owl
    It's the riv. moustache bar and it's unmodified. I was riding in that hand position today. The pic may be playing tricks on your mind.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member

It's a Nitto Moustache

It's a Moustache, he's got his hands on the front of the bars.

Get 'em at Riv or Harris, or have your LBS order 'em.
    You gonna ride that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I guess the photo hides the ends of the bars

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    It's the riv. moustache bar and it's unmodified. I was riding in that hand position today. The pic may be playing tricks on your mind.

OK, so you're saying he just has his hands further up on the curve so he can maintain that angle...
    I guess I was getting mixed up because seeing nothing behind his hands, I assumed he was near the ends of the bars.......and if he was then his hands couldn't be at that angle since the moustache bars come in almost straight back near the ends...as seen in the Rivendell catalog.

So the extra 4 or 5 inches is just hidden in the pic in that thread (the stair pic).......but comes in at a much tighter angle....almost straight back towards the rider....in other words at almost a right angle to the front axle or almost in line with the frame.

I've been looking for a bar with the hand angle shown in the pic.......but at the very end of the bar......Some compromise between the 0-15 degrees we see in straight bars and the fully swept back cruiser bars.....

I'm now riding with bars that came on some 1993-1994 Bridgestone XO-5 and XO-3 bikes which uses some aluminum "arc" bars made by Sing Lung in Taiwan...
    I have about 5 pair stockpiled, but am always looking for something new...

My final hand angle is about 40 degrees at the very end but slowly arcs so it doesn't begin the angle right near the stem...which would put you too far back (upright)
    I'm looking for some more choices between 15 degrees and 40 degrees.....
    There are some 20 degree bars, but they begin the bend too close to the stem and then go straight, rather than slowly bending back....
    I have seen some H bars from Jonesbikes in Oregon which are custom and can be made in any degree one wants but they are rather pricey being custom.