Do you carry a chain breaker- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Do you carry a chain breaker

I was swapping in a new chain today after a year on the old chain and the thought occurred to me

Do i even need to carry around tools to fix a broken chain?

I just went a year with no problems with my chain and wouldn't mind one less thing rattling in my pack
    What do you guys do

mtbr member
    My multi tool has a chain breaker. So it's not really adding a anything additional.

And I've used it twice during rides-on friends' bikes, but never mine!
    CRAMBA Chairman

carry one. no question, end of discussion.

i walked/scootered my bike about 25 miles once because I didn't have one (or the one i had was broken, or i didn't have a piece of chain....i forget). and i was about 2000 feet in elevation lower than where i started, so there wasn't much coasting going on.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Meh I'll bring it
    That's kinda what I realized the second I hit post

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    My multi tool has a chain breaker. So it's not really adding a anything additional.

Same here. No real downside.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Don't forget a small length of chain either. A chain tool doesn't do you any good if you can't shorten your chain because your sliders are already slammed.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post

That is the kiss of death right there....you may just as well get a broken chain on your next ride. Kinda like saying "i never crash" or "i never get a flat".
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I always carried on my geared bikes, but never the fixed/single speed ones. I might alter that...

local trails rider
    I've broken a chain twice, SS.... First one was a bad pin joint done by me, the second one is a bit of a mystery. Second time I was not carrying tools

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've had 20-30 rides that would have ended with long walks without a chain tool. The park one is tiny, light and works great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just added the Park Tool chainbreaker and an universal multi spoke key. Damn you people, more weight! Now I need another powerlink as well.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I much prefer the Lezyne breaker to the Park one. Much nicer in the hand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It looks nicer indeed, but the Park has the greatest advantage of already being in my toolbox, not getting any use because I use another one in the shop

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    I've had 20-30 rides that would have ended with long walks without a chain tool. The park one is tiny, light and works great.
    Plus 1 for the Park tool. Works better than the crank brothers unit I also carry, which won't push some pins all the way out and lacks leverage.

WillWorkForTrail
    I carry me everywhere I go. And I take a chain tool every where I take a bike because I've got me there.

Wanna ride bikes?
    i broke 3-4 chains last year (geared bike), only once this year. i always carry spare parts. i keep quick links for 8,9, and 10 speed.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I usually just ride w/ my camelback and all tools/parts in there.

mtbr member

Dang, you really need to upgrade your chain maintenance!

MMS
    mtbr member
    Yes. Chain breaker and multi-tool. Tubeless, but carry a tube. Beats the sh*t outta walking.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

Category Winner
    Carry one? Yes.

Ever use it myself on my single speed mountain bike? No.

Doesn't stop me from carrying it tho. Rather finish the ride/race than go for a walk.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    I'd probably carry one except I'm a little superstitious about it. Since I've never carried one, and have never broken a chain I figure as soon as I add one to my kit I'll start busting them every other ride like OneBadWagon here.

Dicky has point standings to worry about so I can understand his thinking.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

Dicky has point standings to worry about so I can understand his thinking.
    I'm just paranoid.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

B.Ike
    :
    , I suspect user error...do you still have testicles?...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    :
    , I suspect user error...do you still have testicles?...
    I would guess his chainline is off by 1-1.5mm. That will make all the difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Do I carry a chain breaker? Actually, I carry two with me on every ride. I call them "legs". :rimshot:

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a belt drive and still carry one... go figure

mtbr member
    Carry one on the geared bike and have used it twice (once on my bike). Always carry a few links (9 and 10 speed) in case I roll up on someone who is stranded. A few grams is a good sacrifice for some trail Karma points!

It all stays in my seat bag when I ride the SS, but it won't do me any good since I run a chunky Whippermann 108 chain that I'm pretty sure will be the last thing to break on the bike. And a little pocket tool is no match for that sucker.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    can anyone think of a situation where a quick link isn't gonna do the same thing as a chain breaker but with lots less weight? using that (hopefully sound) logic; I don't carry a chain tool but carry a quicklink... seems a much lighter solution. i just have one tucked in my patch kit box along with a couple other bolts n whatnot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    But how will you get the broken link out, to add the quick link? You still need the tool to break the chain for the link to be installed. Or what am I missing?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Yep. You still have to remove the buggered link.

SSOD
    I carry a quick link with a inner link attached to it as well as a mini break. Getting stranded alone isn't worth it.

mtbr member
    Guilty. Being the somehow annointed bike mech on group rides, I carry a chainbreaker, various powerlinks, and a small section of chain for my SS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Good idea with the extra various links. They cost little, but could help a lot to stranded fellow riders.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew View Post
    I carry a quick link with a inner link attached to it as well as a mini break. Getting stranded alone isn't worth it.
    If you look closely, you'll see I carry an inner link as well. If things blow the hell up, I wanna know I got all the bits and pieces required to get rolling again.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxxdk View Post
    But how will you get the broken link out, to add the quick link? You still need the tool to break the chain for the link to be installed. Or what am I missing?
    I am a singlespeeder; I bang on that sh!t.... But in all seriousness once you break the one side the other is usually pretty easy to remove without a tool. I have never needed a chaintool to remove the remaining half of a broken link anywayzzz...

In my experience it will fall off pretty easy if you twist and bend it a little.

mtbr member
    I've always carried a chain breaker and quick-link and I've used them several times. They are a must.

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    I am a singlespeeder; I bang on that sh!t.... But in all seriousness once you break the one side the other is usually pretty easy to remove without a tool. I have never needed a chaintool to remove the remaining half of a broken link anywayzzz...

In my experience it will fall off pretty easy if you twist and bend it a little.
    It would be uncommon to break the inner link without breaking the outer link as well. I've seen several types of chain failure and an outer plate coming off is most common, but I've seen those types of failure bend inner links or inner links get twisted or bent. Still opt for a chain breaker (actually two),

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    It would be uncommon to break the inner link without breaking the outer link as well. I've seen several types of chain failure and an outer plate coming off is most common, but I've seen those types of failure bend inner links or inner links get twisted or bent. Still opt for a chain breaker (actually two),
    interesting i have never broken anything but the outer link... and once it is busted open, from my experience, the other pin is usually pretty easy to remove with no chaintool.

i'd like to see what a chain broken more severely even looks like (i can't picture it). I could see maybe twisting the inner plates on a gearie if the thing gets all fouled up and twisted in your cassette maybe but on a singlespeed where you are not putting stress on the chain laterally???? i am not saying it doesn't happen (hell; it will probably happen to me on my ride tonight now) but i'd think it would be really rare.

anyhow this is all moot for me as i just remembered the super-mega-multitool i carry does have a chaintool (i just forgot it does since I never use it).

But i'd think unless you are incredibly unlucky a quick link will get you by in almost all singlespeed chain breakages; which are incredibly rare in the first place...

I gotta ask; why two chainbreakers?

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    I gotta ask; why two chainbreakers?
    The short answer is I can't figure out what to do with the one on my Crankbros Multi-tool (since I use it as a spoke tool) and don't know what I'd take off the other side if I compacted the toolset. I used it once and the leverage sucked with riveted pins. I had a Park folding tool but it's heavy and doesn't have a long enough pin to fully push some chains. I carry the park mini tool now and should probably mod my crank brothers tool to add a smaller spoke wrench and brooks saddle nut wrench.