do many of you run FS bikes SS?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    2006 sswc RockStar
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    928

    do many of you run FS bikes SS?

    if so, lets see 'em.......

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    181
    i did think about turning my old FSR into SS but it's all that moving, breaking &creaking stuff i went to SS to get away from ... simple is better for me
    Nice idea if your into it

  3. #3
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,631
    yup....last year all my races (except 2) were on this lil' racer-x....purty good platform for singlespeeding....

    photo credit: Rick Rasmusson
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  4. #4
    2006 sswc RockStar
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    928
    interesteing..... i know of a Trek sponsored SS enduro specialist who used a Trek EX SS before Trek made the 69er SS......... never really thought about it, i am now though....

  5. #5
    2006 sswc RockStar
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    928
    may have to reconsider riding a HT due to an injury i have, need to take less of a beating around my lower back and ribs area..... what tensioner do you use? people i know use short cage road mechs and maybe a front mech for the front to keep the chain on.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,893
    Dave Harris actually won the overall at 12-hours of Mesa Verde in Cortez, CO on a 29er, Full Suspension, Singlespeed, LenzSport Milk Money. I believe his gearing was 33x20.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    811
    I'm curious on what tensioner you guys use too. I just put a fixed tensioner on my hardtail and I absolutely love it compared to the spring one I had. Granted the spring one I had isn't worth 2.99 so I'm sure higher quality spring ones are better. But yeah, just curious on what exact tensioner you FS SS riders use.

  8. #8
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,153
    I use a Yess tensioner on a previous model intense tracer and am pretty pleased with the setup. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have the snappy acceleration on really steep hills that my hardtail did. Pics:






  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    811
    Is that the 70 dollar tensioner from pricepoint? Is it worth it?

    Is it fixed up top and spring loaded below? Looks like a pretty cool design. What gearing do you use?

  10. #10
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,631
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStarRacing
    may have to reconsider riding a HT due to an injury i have, need to take less of a beating around my lower back and ribs area..... what tensioner do you use? people i know use short cage road mechs and maybe a front mech for the front to keep the chain on.
    The YESS tensioner...same as Big Slacker.....works great ....

    i do use a system to keep the chain on the front ring (Rohloff Chain Guide)...chain would pop off driving into corners sometimes.....not fun.....the Rohloff works great too...

    also my RP23 and F80X are PUSH'd (blew'em both up during a race).....really helps firm up the platform.....

    fun bike
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: itsdoable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    No tensioner.


  12. #12
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,153
    Yep, thats the one. $70, yep. Worth it? Well, it does exactly what it says it does and just works. FS/SS with the chain tensioner taken care of. No chain slap, no chain jumping and I've taken it down some pretty gnarly stuff.

    As for the bike itself, like I said its not as efficient as a real hardtail SS, so there is a little more work involved on the really steep stuff. But it makes up for it on the way down. I'm not entirely sold and may end up selling it for a new rigid 29er but we'll see. Its 32/18 which is good for the riding I do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Is that the 70 dollar tensioner from pricepoint? Is it worth it?

    Is it fixed up top and spring loaded below? Looks like a pretty cool design. What gearing do you use?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    No tensioner.

    Now, help me out here... Do you NEED a tensioner with full suspension? Or do you need to have a FS bike with a certain geometry for it to work? Like if you can find the magic gear ratio on a full suspension bike and you ride without a tensioner, if you apply full force on the rear suspension, does it tighten the chain up or give it slack or do anything differently than it would when the bike is sitting idle with no weight on it?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    345
    I ran my Heckler singlespeed for a couple of rides with an XTR derailleur, before I tore the bike down to fund the rest of my Vassago build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    53
    Here's mine. Got the frame and fork a few weeks ago as NOS, it will have gears soon but i like it as a single speed. Very squishy by it's so fun to rip downhills on. On a side note i have yet to see another person with the same bike, anyone have one or seen one?

    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iVtru_37XjelTmkmyXG7tQ?feat=embedwebsite"><img src="https://lh5.ggpht.com/_j49AfGUeQ9Y/Skq2pEVqpMI/AAAAAAAAAE4/FtjjZh6sc1w/s800/SDC10146.JPG" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/sjschreier/Bikes?feat=embedwebsite">bikes</a></td></tr></table>

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    48
    I am thinking of building a FS SS with up to 6" of travel (I know it sounds weird but, I think it will be pretty unique) and I am wondering if the Yess FS tensionor will work with that much movement on the back wheel. Any thoughts? Also, it sounds like I will need a lightweight chainguide up front, is that correct?

  17. #17
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by philaz
    I am thinking of building a FS SS with up to 6" of travel (I know it sounds weird but, I think it will be pretty unique) and I am wondering if the Yess FS tensionor will work with that much movement on the back wheel. Any thoughts? Also, it sounds like I will need a lightweight chainguide up front, is that correct?
    Mark Weir rode a singlespeed Nomad to 2nd at the SS worlds.

    photos: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...2&postcount=63
    Axle Standards Explained

    Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: itsdoable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Now, help me out here... Do you NEED a tensioner with full suspension? ...
    Most FS designs have chain growth as the suspension cycles, and therefore need a tensioner. A hand full do not, and can be set up tensionerless.

    One of the main attractions of an SS (for me) is not to have a dérailleur/tensioner on it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    Most FS designs have chain growth as the suspension cycles, and therefore need a tensioner. A hand full do not, and can be set up tensionerless.

    One of the main attractions of an SS (for me) is not to have a dérailleur/tensioner on it.
    Ehh, I've always been one of those guys who cares more about how things operate than they look. Functionality speaks far above and beyond any cosmetics of anything I've dealt with. Examples:

    I don't care if my car looks like hell, as long as it runs good mechanically. It may have a small rust spot on the fender but I'm more worried about the exhaust issue I'm having so the car's engine can have the proper back-pressure it needs to hit 200k miles and smile.

    I don't care if my computer case isn't the coolest looking with it being all boring and black with no neon fans, cause it's still a hardcore dual-boot gaming rig and linux backup server and file server inside. It'll play most new games on the market and also has 4 SATA drives inside, 2 of which are mine for redundant backups and the other 2 are network drives which back up everybody else's computer in the house.

    As a result, the look of a tensioner doesn't phase me a single bit. I got my tensioner in friday, threw it on the bike, and ran out the door the second I locked the bolt down and went on a 3 hour trail ride and had a sick time.

    It's just my opinion on it though. I know some guys are hardcore about having the simplest looking bike around. I just want it to work right.

  20. #20
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,153
    But there is a little bit of functionality to consider. An FS/SS does have pedal bob which as we all know can be an issue for SS riders that stand and hammer. Also the Yess tensioner does have 2 rotation points and a serpentine path. So there are probably some efficiency issues, it does feel like pedaling through mud on the steeper stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Ehh, I've always been one of those guys who cares more about how things operate than they look. Functionality speaks far above and beyond any cosmetics of anything I've dealt with. Examples:

    I don't care if my car looks like hell, as long as it runs good mechanically. It may have a small rust spot on the fender but I'm more worried about the exhaust issue I'm having so the car's engine can have the proper back-pressure it needs to hit 200k miles and smile.

    I don't care if my computer case isn't the coolest looking with it being all boring and black with no neon fans, cause it's still a hardcore dual-boot gaming rig and linux backup server and file server inside. It'll play most new games on the market and also has 4 SATA drives inside, 2 of which are mine for redundant backups and the other 2 are network drives which back up everybody else's computer in the house.

    As a result, the look of a tensioner doesn't phase me a single bit. I got my tensioner in friday, threw it on the bike, and ran out the door the second I locked the bolt down and went on a 3 hour trail ride and had a sick time.

    It's just my opinion on it though. I know some guys are hardcore about having the simplest looking bike around. I just want it to work right.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,501
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    No tensioner.


    GAH!!
    fugging beautiful... don't see enough bow tis around...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: itsdoable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Ehh, I've always been one of those guys who cares more about how things operate than they look....

    As a result, the look of a tensioner doesn't phase me a single bit....
    I'm not concerned about looks either, otherwise I would not have fenders on my bikes. Or the getto disc mount.

    The biggest issue with tensioners (and derailleurs) is when they snap off (or bend) due to some trail debris, or seize/freeze during winter riding. Unfortunately it happens more often than we like on local trails.

    It's the same reason I run chain ring bash guards.

  23. #23
    What's that smell?
    Reputation: phxartboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    468

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    132
    i know of a Trek sponsored SS enduro specialist who used a Trek EX SS before Trek made the 69er SS
    Matt the spaz? It was just a bodged job, rear mech and chain just long enough-made in the workshop rather than anyone at trek sorting it though.

    Wayne at Trek used to have a 9.8 ss which was a blast to ride and Goon also at trek (at the time) was building a 9.8 into a cyclocross bike by grinding down the bb shell :O

  25. #25
    Apprentice Biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3
    I currently ride a ProFlex 855 SS. Works great with a GOOD spring tensioner.
    -Alex

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    962

    Kona "A" F/S SS

    Quote Originally Posted by RockStarRacing
    if so, lets see 'em.......
    I built up a F/S Kona A frame with a 650 B up front,,,,,,,,,,,I posted a short ride review on the Kona forum and on the 29'er/ 650 B forum with a few fotos,,,,,,,,,It's a bit heavy rides sweet,,,,,,,go there if ya like

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Philadelph
    I currently ride a ProFlex 855 SS. Works great with a GOOD spring tensioner.
    Have you got any photos of your setup? I tried this on the same frame two years ago and it was a huge failure.

    If you have it working, I would love to revisit the idea.

  28. #28
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,153
    Just as an update: After riding the bike for a month as my primary bike I've decided to sell it. Its just too much work on the hills for the XC type riding I do. I already started parting it out so I rode my wife's 26" unit yesterday. Wow what a difference going up.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    Just as an update: After riding the bike for a month as my primary bike I've decided to sell it. Its just too much work on the hills for the XC type riding I do. I already started parting it out so I rode my wife's 26" unit yesterday. Wow what a difference going up.
    Are you talking in terms of full suspension versus hardtail? Or gearing vs single?

  30. #30
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,153
    It is a kona unit, so both are SS. So this is hardtail vs full suspension SS.

    I didn't think the difference was so great, but last saturday I struggled on a gradual climb, 1400 ft over 7 miles or so. Yesterday I did the same climb + another 850 feet. Then continued the ride downhill and over some rolling stuff for another hour.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    It is a kona unit, so both are SS. So this is hardtail vs full suspension SS.

    I didn't think the difference was so great, but last saturday I struggled on a gradual climb, 1400 ft over 7 miles or so. Yesterday I did the same climb + another 850 feet. Then continued the ride downhill and over some rolling stuff for another hour.
    Hm, I understand.

    Quick side question for ya man - how did you like that Yess tensioner? I have one coming tomorrow for my hardtail...

  32. #32
    2006 sswc RockStar
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by fontmoss
    Matt the spaz? It was just a bodged job, rear mech and chain just long enough-made in the workshop rather than anyone at trek sorting it though.

    Wayne at Trek used to have a 9.8 ss which was a blast to ride and Goon also at trek (at the time) was building a 9.8 into a cyclocross bike by grinding down the bb shell :O
    yep Matt, Grinding off a BB shell, sounds interesting........... Didnt matt have a SS 9.8 as well?

  33. #33
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,153
    Its good, does what it says it does. No lateral adjustment so chainline is limited to where it sits. Also depending on the frame it could limit you to rear cog size. In my case 18t rear was about it, otherwise it would contact. No big deal for a 26", but a 29er might have issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Hm, I understand.

    Quick side question for ya man - how did you like that Yess tensioner? I have one coming tomorrow for my hardtail...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    811
    I guess I must have a newer model? Because my cog on the tensioner is adjustable, and the roller is wide enough that the roller doesn't really need adjustable functionality. The roller width is comparable to the Rennen Rollenlager, which also can't really be moved due to its fixed nature.

    I really dig the tensioner - but DAMN is that roller noisy. It's just hard plastic. I was hoping to swap out my roller that I have on my Sette fixed tensioner because it's more rubbery and a lot quieter, but it doesn't size up.

    I wonder if Yess would have an upgraded roller option... If not, I dig the tensioner enough that I don't care - but I'd rather spend 10 bucks and deal without the noise if it's an option.

    And uh - hate to ask a n00b question - but why would a 29er be more prone to gear issues with the Yess than a 26er?

  35. #35
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    ....

    And uh - hate to ask a n00b question - but why would a 29er be more prone to gear issues with the Yess than a 26er?
    29ers tend to run larger rear cogs for the same gear inches as 26er...and larger cogs and the YESS tensioner have issues with each other

    i could only run as big as a 18T on my RX....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    811
    Ahh, I understand. That makes sense.

    I really don't see how that's a big "problem" though. Maybe a minor annoyance but, since you can adjust the chainring size in order to obtain a certain gear ratio anyway, you can still mix/match enough to get any ratio you want.

    I personally don't run bigger than a 16t in the gear, and even that is a stretch for me to use. Normally I'm on a 14 with a 32t chainring.

  37. #37
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    I guess I must have a newer model? Because my cog on the tensioner is adjustable, and the roller is wide enough that the roller doesn't really need adjustable functionality. The roller width is comparable to the Rennen Rollenlager, which also can't really be moved due to its fixed nature.

    I really dig the tensioner - but DAMN is that roller noisy. It's just hard plastic. I was hoping to swap out my roller that I have on my Sette fixed tensioner because it's more rubbery and a lot quieter, but it doesn't size up.

    I wonder if Yess would have an upgraded roller option... If not, I dig the tensioner enough that I don't care - but I'd rather spend 10 bucks and deal without the noise if it's an option.

    And uh - hate to ask a n00b question - but why would a 29er be more prone to gear issues with the Yess than a 26er?
    Make a bushing to fit the other roller onto the tensioner or swap the shaft as needed.

    29er is larger diameter wheels so need larger rear cog to get same gear inches as 26" wheels. If tensioner almost rubs on 18t cog, then it would surely rub on a 20t.

    Oops slow on my posting....
    Get off the couch and ride!

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    811
    Yeah I was thinking about maybe finding something like a wide rubber grommet or small (wide) rubber band to slap on there and see if it'd stick.

    This tensioner is definitely bad ass, I love the thing, best one I've had and worth the 70 bones - I just wish the roller was a bit quieter.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.