do I need to use a chain tug- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

do I need to use a chain tug

Sorry SS newbie here. I just ordered an On One Inbred 29er and this will be my first 29er and my first SS bike build.

I tried reading the FAQ, and I understand chaintugs are used with trackends but I see a lot of builds without them. I was planning on using a regular 9 speed QR hub with adapter spacers and a good clamping QR skewer. Does it depend on the quality of the skewer?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't have a bike that requires tugs. But FWIW, I think chain tugs are only needed for weak QR skewers. If yours won't slip, then you will be good. My Cross Check has semi horizontal dropouts and after I put on DT RWS skewers on it, no more slipping.

max_29
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    Sorry SS newbie here. I just ordered an On One Inbred 29er and this will be my first 29er and my first SS bike build.

I tried reading the FAQ, and I understand chaintugs are used with trackends but I see a lot of builds without them. I was planning on using a regular 9 speed QR hub with adapter spacers and a good clamping QR skewer. Does it depend on the quality of the skewer?

thanks.

I've used shimano XT skewer (hard to beat that for clamping force) with a tug and had some
    occasional slippage when braking hard.
    Since i switched to a bolt-on hub, i stopped using tugs and never had a wheel slipped.

BTW. you don't need tugs on both sides, just a drive side will do.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by allroy71 View Post
    I don't have a bike that requires tugs. But FWIW, I think chain tugs are only needed for weak QR skewers. If yours won't slip, then you will be good. My Cross Check has semi horizontal dropouts and after I put on DT RWS skewers on it, no more slipping.
    I've had Shimano and DT RWS skewers slip on me (DT slipped for the first time in a race , then twice more), so I've used a drive side chain tug since.

I just recently got a Crank Brothers Split QR and must say if my SS had horizontal drops I'd be tempted to try it sans-tug.
    It's beef-noodle hardy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    With bolt on hubs I've never had a problem with slippage but I guess there is always the possibility. If i had a set of chain tugs I would probably use them but unless your doing some extreme riding I would not think that you would need them. I do think that they look good on a bike.

Did I catch a niner+?
    If you get the sliders chased and faced you should not need the tugs, I assume you got a swapout Inbred so there should not be any paint on the sliders so it should be fine.

My 09 does and it's finnicky most of the time and tends to slide on odd days so I just got nut tuggers to deal with it all.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?