Do I need a tugnut with horizontal dropouts?- Mtbr.com
    L1MEY

Do I need a tugnut with horizontal dropouts?

Hello all

I'm building up an Azonic Evolution frame as a singlespeed and it has horizontal dropouts. The wheels I am using have bolt on skewers (the cheap ones from Nashbar). I would like to know if I need to use a tugnut with horizontal dropouts, since I've never had a bike with them before.

Also, if I need a tugnut, is the Surly one the best to use, or are there others, and where can I get them?

Thanks in advance

- Jen.
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I don't use one, but I am only 145lbs.

Misfit Psycles
    you dont 'need' the tugnut or any other tensioner if you bolt it down tight enough.

power is one reason for slippage but even on small riders i have seen slippage when you get into rough terrain where the rear wheel gets kicked around alot...rare, but possible.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

L1MEY
    Thanks for the quick responses I'm only 120lbs, and don't ride particularly 'hard', so I'll make sure to tighten the skewers bolts nicely and give it a shot without the tugnut.

- Jen.
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Have you got skewers or a bolt on axle? If a bolt on axle you should be fine, skewers can tend to slip on some dropouts. Steel dropouts are more prone to slippage due to the harder material - chromed ones even worse. Assuming your Azonic is Al, there should be enough bite on the dropouts for it not to be a problem.

Easiest answer - try it without, if it slips, get some tug-nuts!

paintbucket
    Most any chain tug would do the job and there are a lot cheaper ones than the Surly. Any lbs that deals in bmx stuff should have some around.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    i have surly tugnuts on my 1 x 1 and use a quick release rear hub. the problem i have, is that on the non-drive side, the axle pulls away from the tugnut. regardless of how tight i crank the qr down, after a ride, the non-drive side will have backed off a couple one or two millimeters. if i had it to do over, i would only go with a bolt on axle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I run a bolt on axle and a tugnut on my SS. Reason being, the Surly tugnut has a built in bottle opener, and it looks cool too . However w/ track drop outs and a bolt it isn't necessary.

mtbr member
    I like running a tug (mine's a spot rocket tensioner) 'cause you don't have to crank the DS bolt so tight. Why's that important? If you tighten the bolt with a 12" wrench at home, it's a PITA to get back off with a 4" jethro tule on the trail. Had to find a big rock and wack the schit out of mine after I gorrilla'd the bolt on then had a mid ride blow out

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by texacajun
    I like running a tug (mine's a spot rocket tensioner) 'cause you don't have to crank the DS bolt so tight. Why's that important? If you tighten the bolt with a 12" wrench at home, it's a PITA to get back off with a 4" jethro tule on the trail. Had to find a big rock and wack the schit out of mine after I gorrilla'd the bolt on then had a mid ride blow out
    i used to follow the same pattern...i also consider maintenance "what OTHER people do to THEIR bikes" anyway jra and the nut relieved itself of duty and left the axle, forever, as a result.

i know i know check it regularly.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

just another bleepin SSer
    I used tugs in the past on my On-One, but after a while got rid of them. More of a hassle to me than a benefit. No problem without them (and I am easily 200 lbs.).
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    May 2005
    One other consideration is this - once you've got your chain properly tensioned, you can take the rear wheel on and off and the tuggnut "holds" your position. For me that's even better than having a built in bottle opener. (It took me a little while to figure this out though - you have to loosen up the axle nut enough so that you can pull the tuggnut sideways until it clears the frame).

Members who have read this thread: 0